• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Vs Arsenal Player ratings.

They did have more possession but actually they didnt do anything with it - so it was no bad thing. I dont know the stats and dont care but im sure the stats would indicate that they had the larger share of the possession. We do need to retain the ball better and thats just something to improve on.

You guys who dont see the 'negatives' are not seeing 'areas that need improvement'. Its not a negative - its pointing out the area to improve on. I am sure AVB sees areas of improvement rather than having his head in the sand.

Crawley - I agree it was obvious - we let them have the ball and thats what I alluded to as they lacked that killer instinct however they did outpass us as in our passing isnt that great. Actually we are more effective than Arsenal - Arsenal play tippy tappy football where as we are incisive and far more effective when we have the ball.

Theyre better at keeping the ball we are better at creating clear cut chances. That indicates that we need to improve our retention of the ball which is evident. They need to improve their incisiveness.

There are negatives, but the fact that Arsenal had the possession played into our hands.

I saw a well set up defensive unit with the capability to srping a counter or two. Which we did.

To the bold, i disagree. To me it indicates that we need to improve our finishing of the chances.

I think AVB is, like me, a 'safety first' sort of person - the priority is to cut off their final ball and keep them from crafting chances, then look to control possession, and then go forward when possible. So we spend a lot of energy winning the ball, the problem is that we can't really keep up that sprinting tempo once actually on the ball so in possession we either look fast and sloppy or slow and static; which is why it's important to press and win it in high positions to cause a scramble closer to their goal (if that makes any sense, sorry :lol:).

I am sure that AVB's preferred vision of the game is to control midfield, if you look at his Porto side and the interviews he has made before about how much he prioritizes ball circulation (not possession per se, but how quickly and intelligently it is used in possession). The issue is that we don't have the players to one-touch recycle the ball both rapidly and precisely - so being a pragmatist, AVB has decided to focus on our strengths in defense and "crack" player up front. We only really need that one critical final pass (not even a pass - just some space for Bale to sight goal is enough), we don't need to orchestrate the tempo and weave patterns through them time and time again. OTOH, it's risky when it's so finely margined - while Arse didn't have many clear shots on goal, we were pretty reliant on their poor final touch and Lloris's brilliant reading of the game.

I'm sure we would look more fluid and cohesive in possession if we had Arse's Wheelchair/Cazorla/Arteta triangle, or Moutinho/Modric and Willian/vdv. However, we have to make do with what we have atm, and I think AVB is doing a very good job in this regard. My concern - which I've admittedly reiterated like a chronic horse abuser - is that we will continue to buy Dempseys and various "good stats" players or flashy dribblers this summer when we are in such need for those "Continental passers" whose qualities you can't quite quantify. OTOH, we did a great job with profiling Lloris so perhaps I've being a little harsh on our scouts.

Delighted with the result.

And frankly getting tired of your unremitting defence of a plainly useless Ade. Start watching the game with unblinkered eyes - or even see that Ade scored the lowest by virtually everyone on this board for todays typical non performance.,

Until you came in here with some enormous missive, the only time I mentioned him was in the ratings. Unremitting only because you cannot help yourself. I know that as a 'mature mod' I should not even get dragged into this, but seriously, I find it so overwhelmingly pointless! You're stuck with the fudging guy until May at least; are we going to have to hear about it ever single week until then? Or will that switch to Defoe? Again, no-one is claiming the man is on top form, but you clearly have an agenda against him. if you can't admit it, allow me to state it.

Oh, 'unblinkered eyes'? Pot-kettle. Tell you what, why don't you contact AVB? I'll bet you thought he was useless early doors this season too? It's all good geezer, it's all good...

I agree totally. We were outpassed today and im not sure if it AVBs intentions to let them have the ball and we hit on the counter or we are actually not that good at keeping possession. I think we have, no pun intended, bailed out the last few games and we have actually been lucky. I was discussing it that if Mourinho is the special one then AVB is the Lucky One as he has been lucky thus far.

I think we are a super striker and a Moutinho/Modric type player away fom challenging for the title. Now whether Levy is prepared to be ambitious enough is another matter entirely I suppose.

Who gives a fudge if we were outpassed? Arsenal outpass most teams, its how they play. Ferguson didn't give a fudge when he allowed them the ball over and over again only to pull their pants down over and over again and take 6 points a season from them.

Same with Real and Barcelona over the past week. 65% possession for Barcelona a few days ago, 2 shots on target. Big whoop.

Aside from the goal and the Ramsey shot, did Arsenal actually do much?

He has - and I hold my hands up like I have done when I have been wrong. AVB has definitely impressed me both ON and OFF the pitch. Exactly and no one is criticisng him. Your point in the post assumes that we are whinging at AVB when it clearly isnt.

If that's what came across, apologies, it wasn't my intention. I was simply saying that whilst I see where improvements are to be made, I just don't comment on those because I trust the manager is 10 steps ahead of me in that regard and will have already taken steps to rectify when the opportunity arises.

<<I think AVB is, like me, a 'safety first' sort of person - the priority is to cut off their final ball and keep them from crafting chances, then look to control possession, and then go forward when possible. So we spend a lot of energy winning the ball, the problem is that we can't really keep up that sprinting tempo once actually on the ball so in possession we either look fast and sloppy or slow and static; which is why it's important to press and win it in high positions to cause a scramble closer to their goal (if that makes any sense, sorry :lol:).

I am sure that AVB's preferred vision of the game is to control midfield, if you look at his Porto side and the interviews he has made before about how much he prioritizes ball circulation (not possession per se, but how quickly and intelligently it is used in possession). The issue is that we don't have the players to one-touch recycle the ball both rapidly and precisely - so being a pragmatist, AVB has decided to focus on our strengths in defense and "crack" player up front. We only really need that one critical final pass (not even a pass - just some space for Bale to sight goal is enough), we don't need to orchestrate the tempo and weave patterns through them time and time again. OTOH, it's risky when it's so finely margined - while Arse didn't have many clear shots on goal, we were pretty reliant on their poor final touch and Lloris's brilliant reading of the game.

I'm sure we would look more fluid and cohesive in possession if we had Arse's Wheelchair/Cazorla/Arteta triangle, or Moutinho/Modric and Willian/vdv. However, we have to make do with what we have atm, and I think AVB is doing a very good job in this regard. My concern - which I've admittedly reiterated like a chronic horse abuser - is that we will continue to buy Dempseys and various "good stats" players or flashy dribblers this summer when we are in such need for those "Continental passers" whose qualities you can't quite quantify. OTOH, we did a great job with profiling Lloris so perhaps I've being a little harsh on our scouts.>>

First of all, hearty apologies sky, I unwittingly had not 'replied' earlier but done so in an 'edit' of your post, which has now been restored. Sorry again, button fever LOL.

I'd say it's worth waiting to see what unfolds in the summer. Very very important that we get 3rd if we can and guaranteed group stages before summer begins as we will have a better choice/spending base. I think the margins are so tight for a club with 36,000 seats and it's always going to be until the stadium is built. AVB is getting there IMO, but again, it's a project ;-)...put it this way. If we had better options upfront, I think we'd be blowing some sides away simply by converting more chances/being able to use Bale as a supply line as much as a goalscorer.

Don't quite get why so many people are having a go at posters that are pointing out that we need a player that is capable of dictating a game, when it's clearly evident that we do. There were occasions in the game when we were getting overrun and we needed someone that was capable of dictating the flow of the game, or even just to relieve the mounting pressure.

It's not a negative, it's an innocent observation that we are all aware of (including AVB, hence the Moutinho interest) and is just getting pointed out.

Strange lambasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate55 View Post
+1. Spot on and the comments too. Ade was a liability the whole time he was on the pitch - needless offsides (again), poor hold up play. lost his man for their goal and generally totally useless. His lack of competiveness was given sharp relief by how much Defoe was involved in his short time on the pitch - he even got in a shot and should have had an assist too. Shock horror - this is what should we expect from a forward being paid north of £80k per week not the shambolic wanderings of that pale imitation of what was once a great striker!

Amidst your frankly pathological slagging of one player once again mate, did you notice the score today?

:ross:

It was Modric last year whom he constantly slated, this year it is Ade. It is as if he simply has to have a whipping boy. Added to which he has to be right and would argue black was white simply to prove his often misguided point , over and over and over aqain

I had prepared a rant, but fudge it, why bother getting dragged in?

For those who continue to BORE ON about NEGATIVES I can only hope that at some point, you will learn to

a) see a bigger picture and
b) relax enough to enjoy what's happening.

This. in fact this 10000 times.

Don't quite get why so many people are having a go at posters that are pointing out that we need a player that is capable of dictating a game, when it's clearly evident that we do. There were occasions in the game when we were getting overrun and we needed someone that was capable of dictating the flow of the game, or even just to relieve the mounting pressure.

It's not a negative, it's an innocent observation that we are all aware of (including AVB, hence the Moutinho interest) and is just getting pointed out.

Strange lambasting.

If this is about some of my blitherings (which would make sense ;)) my point is that given what the manager has done and who he has shown clear interest in, I don't think it is news to anyone. In many ways, he played today like an Ali fight. A bit of rope-a-dope and then BISH BASH BOSH. Could've been four. I will say I felt we did manage to relieve the pressure at vital moments, and apply some of our own. I'll be interested to see the stats, I think it was closer to being even then it looked or felt...

Strange lambasting.

It's not though.

Where would such a player go?

Do you break up a partnership as good as Dembele and Sandro? No.

We are currently creating enough chances per game to win. In addition our defence has been amazing recently.

The only issue i can see is the converting of those chances.

When you score the first against a team parking the bus, it forces them to change their strategy completely.

Last edited:
he was repeatedly kicked, nudged and shoved around today, first time he tries to win a ball ramsey does a triple roll a la Cazorla and effectively halves his game. we've discussed how the away support is far more aware generally (ours) and thus he does not get the caning he tends to from the moaners at home.

What did you expect their players to do? Ade has a history of losing his head in this fixture. They were always going to try and wind him up like people try to wind Rooney up. Funny you mention Ramsey diving, I thought Ade dived or at best made the most of a faint shove by Wheelchair in the box in the first half. Ramsey rolling? Come on Steff, take the tinted glasses off, it was a needless challenge.

A very small part of me thought he might turn it on today, but he was lacklustre again. And Defoe comes on and does more in 25 minutes than Ade has managed in a month for Spurs. I would play Ade against Inter, but his opportunities are running out I'm afraid.

What did you expect their players to do? Ade has a history of losing his head in this fixture. They were always going to try and wind him up like people try to wind Rooney up. Funny you mention Ramsey diving, I thought Ade dived or at best made the most of a faint shove by Wheelchair in the box in the first half. Ramsey rolling? Come on Steff, take the tinted glasses off, it was a needless challenge.

A very small part of me thought he might turn it on today, but he was lacklustre again. And Defoe comes on and does more in 25 minutes than Ade has managed in a month for Spurs. I would play Ade against Inter, but his opportunities are running out I'm afraid.

(sigh)...can't be bothered to join the dots in my comment for you, if you can't see what I was getting at then whatever mate.

I said Ramsey triple-rolled. Like Cazorla in Nov. Exaggerations each of them. As for Ade's dive, it was absolutely pathetic and frankly, he could've been given a yellow for it, Clattenburg was generous.

No, this isn't about how people view the player anymore (for me) it's about the obssessing on every single fudging thing he does or doesn't do. He is one player who has had better seasons. I'm just getting fudged off with the continual hammering he's getting from a few people. Trust me, the same crew will be onto Defoe if he doesn't 'do the buisness' over the next few games, regardless of the role he's playing.

By the way, if he doesn't make your 'needless challenge' then he's not putting the effort in' or 'is a bottler'...you can't have it all mate. Anyway, enough from me, it's silly...

Strange stats.................

At end of match, Sky showed possesion as 48-52.
Now, on SSN, it is being shown as 40-60.

BBC showing it as 54-46.

That's quite a difference.

Who gives a fudge if we were outpassed? Arsenal outpass most teams, its how they play. Ferguson didn't give a fudge when he allowed them the ball over and over again only to pull their pants down over and over again and take 6 points a season from them.

Same with Real and Barcelona over the past week. 65% possession for Barcelona a few days ago, 2 shots on target. Big whoop.

Aside from the goal and the Ramsey shot, did Arsenal actually do much?

Your100% right

For 30 minutes they passed well but didn't have a shot on target.

Then we hit them with tow goals by playing fast good direct passes. They had no one doing that for them

Let them have the ball all day if they do fudge all with it. Why wouldn't you when your winning or when they have no threat with it.
If you watched the game a the ground and not on v you see the whole pitch. After 25 minutes there own players got frustrated and started losing shape which gave us room to play. Hence why we came into it then.

Liverpool did the same thung and we all went wow they play good football.... But it's like having the greatest steak in the world and a butter knife!!! You need an edge and we really did have tha with our two goals today.

Yea I'd like us to play prettier passes but only if the lead to something

Your100% right

For 30 minutes they passed well but didn't have a shot on target.

Then we hit them with tow goals by playing fast good direct passes. They had no one doing that for them

Let them have the ball all day if they do fudge all with it. Why wouldn't you when your winning or when they have no threat with it.
If you watched the game a the ground and not on v you see the whole pitch. After 25 minutes there own players got frustrated and started losing shape which gave us room to play. Hence why we came into it then.

Liverpool did the same thung and we all went wow they play good football.... But it's like having the greatest steak in the world and a butter knife!!! You need an edge and we really did have tha with our two goals today.

Yea I'd like us to play prettier passes but only if the lead to something

This, 100%

Strange stats.................

At end of match, Sky showed possesion as 48-52.
Now, on SSN, it is being shown as 40-60.

BBC showing it as 54-46.

That's quite a difference.

BBC are always wrong. Possession was 39.5%-60.5%.

My brother and my mate Stevie have given Clattenberg the news that I said he was MOTM. He looks genuinely happy image.jpgimage.jpg

Back