• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

** Tottenham Hotspur vs Sheffield United Capital One Cup Semi Final Second Leg OMT **

Dembele should from now onwards play in a more advanced role as he did today. He was immense. If he can get his shooting going as well, we could have another very welcome source of goals.

I think he makes a potentially more potent foil for Kane than either Ade or Solly. If we aren't going to buy anyone in this window, then I would give the Mousse an extended try out in this position.

Last edited:
Im not sure I agree with that. They decided to pump more balls to the edge of the box. But we was outnumbered. He still has to toughen up coming from the Portuguese league. But he has shown a lot in the couple of games he has paired centre back.
Yes, I thought Dier did okay. In fact, I like the look of him at center back. He has got all the qualities you need to be a good player in that position. He just needs to get some more experience and become a bit better at the tactical side of the game. I have seen many promising center backs who has never managed to do that, though. Kaboul comes to mind. He seems to have learned nothing since we first signed him from Auxerre. Still makes rookie mistakes.

As for Dier in this match, I think perhaps he was on the wrong side of his man on the first goal, so Walker had to help him out. But he would normally need to do that anyway in that position. The second goal was just unlucky with the deflection. He was not involved in the build-up to the goal. The big problem towards the end was that they got in behind Davies, who was poor again, which meant that Vertonghen had to leave the central area to cover, which again left us short on numbers in the box.

In that picture of Keano pouring the bubbly on Ramos - who is that suited up pouring the other bottle?

Dilemma coming up now though for the final. A tricky trip to Fiorentina in the 2nd leg just 3 days before the final, I doubt we will be playing a full strength side in both, so we really need to 'go for it' in the 1st leg and try and get a big lead (not that that guarantees anything with Spurs!)

I'm happy with that team. Would've personally played Lloris but I can see why Vorm is playing.

I have a feeling Lamela is going to produce tonight. Decent stage for the lad, surely he has the tricks and guile to cause Sheff Utd problem.

C'mon Erik, I BELIEVE!

I'll reply to this, as it was the last before I ambled to the pub. Also before seeing subsequent comments

A good performance, but again a dearth of goals.

No-one disgraced themselves, Vorm had his moments but generally recovered well.

Perhaps Lamella's best performance for us, inventive and confident while also battling for possession. No, not perfect - but if everyone played that well we would have been well ahead.

Kane pressuring rather than scoring, but adding to his reputation.

Interesting use of Dembele, still does the difficult things really well - then has to stop and think ..... should be better end result.

Mason largely wonderful, Walker OK but seems to have lost his zip.

Eriksen ... might I (somewhat belatedly say?) .... my favourite Spurs player !. Twice.

I do need a better view of their goals, as I went for (enough said) after the first, and returned after their second.

Great to be in another final! :D

Obviously some scary moments at and after the 2-1 goal. But trying to look at the performance I think we did rather well overall. I think most of us expected a close and hard fought game, but we showed the difference in class I think and dominated for extended periods. Just a bit unlucky not to get the 2nd goal, then they throw caution to the wind and get an equalizer from a bit of a nothing situation. This kind of stuff happens in football.

Well done to Poch and the players! :)

Dembele should from now onwards play in a more advanced role as he did today. He was immense. If he can get his shooting going as well, we could have another very welcome source of goals.

I think he makes a potentially more potent foil for Kane than either Ade or Solly. If we aren't going to buy anyone in this window, then I would give the Mousse an extended try out in this position.

Defensively he's the perfect attacking midfielder. Quick, strong, diligent at getting back, good tackler.

Not the solution for all games or all game conditions though.

B8d9zukCUAIOWGd.jpg

Vertonghen seems " up for it ", doesnt he? :)

I don't care if we upset Vorm. lloris has to start the final.

Too bloody right. I was calling for Lloris to go on for the last 5 and not Rose.

Thing is, if Lloris gets hunted by Madrid for £50m in the summer we may well be pleased Vorm has had some game time. He's a decent keeper and maybe we will have him as number one some day. But right now, it's late in the competition and Hugo starts. Same in a the Europa.

Brave keeping at the end though, United should have made it 3-2

Superb to be back at Wembley. Didn't expect anything else from Spurs today lol. We made it though,well done lads. Dembele was superb today by the way.

Yes definite +1 on this. Here's hoping his getting back to his best. My concern would be if he still has it, to be able to do this against the big boys. But when he came on last week and again tonight he had that bit more time on the ball that a lower quality team couldn't compete with.

I'd also say Paulinho has this ability, and Eriksen.

A lot of praise, and correctly so, for Dembele. But I thought Stambouli also had a very good game. And Paulinho was nowhere near as bad as some are claiming. Yeah the momentum shifted, but mainly because they got the goal kinda from nowhere in a situation where I really don't think Paulinho could be blamed. If people think the momentum wouldn't swing with an equalizer just because Dembele was on the pitch I'm not sure what to think.

Mason was disappointing, still not up to speed after his injury it seems. Davies better than in the first game against them, but still struggled a bit with that winger. Lamela should do better in a couple of key situations. Townsend tinkled me right off, giving the ball away like that at that point in the game with easy options available with the only real benefit to get past a man at the half way line almost as our last man. Put in a good cross though I suppose.

Mason was disappointing, still not up to speed after his injury it seems. Davies better than in the first game against them, but still struggled a bit with that winger. Lamela should do better in a couple of key situations. Townsend tinkleed me right off, giving the ball away like that at that point in the game with easy options available with the only real benefit to get past a man at the half way line almost as our last man. Put in a good cross though I suppose.

Yeah could not believe it. Just ludicrous decision making at the point, he's given away goals like that before in the premier league, as you're saying, it's such a high risk move for such little benefit.

Phew!!!

We always do things the hard way don't we? I have just seen the highlights on tv and I can see what people say about how well we played until the subs. We really seemed in control and Kane, Lamela and Dembele in particular looked very good for us going forward. If only we had got a second goal you feel we would have relaxed and seen the game out as they would likely have become disheartened.

Lots of issues atm with us conceding in quick succession, but for today let's enjoy the 'issue' of the late Christian AID we keep receiving!

Well played team, well played Poch on getting to a Wembley final in his first season with us.
COYS!!

Everyone was tucked in - that's when the wingers are supposed to drop back and cover allowing the full backs to mark up in the middle.

He never, ever tracks back so Walker (or whoever else is there) has to position himself where he can defend both the middle and the outside doing neither properly.

Spot on. For me it was the ONLY reason they got back into the game. I've heard some right old cobblers tonight about how Paulinho coming on was the reason we relinquished, etc, but the real issue came when Andros didn't track back diligently enough and we started to lose our shape. Lamela worked his nuts off tonight, and I lost count of how many times he ws back there covering, defending, helping. Moussa was excellent tonight, but again, he was in the hole, advanced and part of a front three, which allowed him to switch off with Eriksen et al.

Back