• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

** Tottenham Hotspur vs Fussball Club Basel 1893 OMT **

Can we say now gallas has played his last game for us now,i liked him at the start but everytime he plays for us now he gets injured he's getting a bit of a liability,how many times does he go down in the first twenty times and then hobbles around for the rest of a game,we've got a 21 year old on the bench crying out for experience,i saw caulker a few times last year for swansea and he saved williams a few times in his defending.....down to 9 men is just so laughable and it happens quite often especially with gallas being on the pitch.

At the moment we've got no balance,dembele,siggy,dempsey are all the same type of player,if lennon and bale or both are out who we've got to replace them no one,get the same feeling when santini was in charge we play like headless chickens,sometimes. Their was instance last night when basle was attacking every single spurs player was on one side of the pitch and their left winger was crying out for the ball to be played to him outside our box for at least 20/30 seconds because no one was marking him, lucky the ball broke to us but they had so many clear cut chances last night it was embarrising.

We get back in the game at 2-2 what does AVB do,take holby off who was creating some sort of impression on the right, bring siggy over instead of him and put him on his weaker foot and tell dempsey to go where ever,so totally imbalancing the side, after that nothing we didn't create one chance after those changes,crazy.

We're only so far up the table because of brilliant individual performances..... thats it. No bale,lennon,defoe for the next two games,a centre forward currently in reverse,i just hope certain players ,dembele especially step up to the table,if we need him to play like he did for fulham its now and dempsey if he can decide to pass the ball instead of trying 35 yard shots into row x all the time we may hang in there till everyone is back.

Great post.

Why AVB decided to buy Dembele, Sig, Holtby, Dempsey when we already had Sandro, Parker, Thudd, Carroll shows muddled thinking when we only have one out and out leader of the forward line (Ade) and no cover either for RW, LW or LB.

Mystifying

Great post.

Why AVB decided to buy Dembele, Sig, Holtby, Dempsey when we already had Sandro, Parker, Thudd, Carroll shows muddled thinking when we only have one out and out leader of the forward line (Ade) and no cover either for RW, LW or LB.

Mystifying

Well it's not mystifying at all. Parker is coming to the end of his career, Huddlestone just isn't good enough, you can't pin your hopes on Carroll - he's barely played at competitive level.

Do you not think Dembele, Sig, Dempsey have improved us? You conveniently forgot to mention the fact we lost Modric and VDV too.

He's bought in players that he believes are better than what had, which is usually what a new manager does....

Says it all. Suggest you have a long hard look in the mirror yourself.

No wish to enter into a debate seems to me to indicate someone of a closed mind. Not a psedo intellectual, in fact not an intellectual at all.

LOL.

What's a 'psedo'?

Great post.

Mystifying

Sigurdsson was signed before he came along, and Dembele was a deal long in the works (from before his time). Obviously he knew they were going to be part of his tool-kit, but he did not pick them out and sign them. But are you seriously saying we didn't need them this season? With Sandro injured, Hudd unable to get properly fit enough to be a fully-fledged squad member, Parker out until Xmas??? Modric gone, VdV gone...you see, this is where you tend to make no sense to me. He has used Dembele and Dempsey a lot, he has worked quietly with Sig and Holtby was another body he only brought in during January because (surprise!) he needed the extra talent in the squad due to injuries. The player was destined to stay in Germany until the summer, and then enjoy a full pre-season to acclimatise...IF you want to slag the guy of (and you seemingly do, often) try to choose things which are accurate and stand scrutiny.

I said we wouldnt be in 3rd without Bale - and you agreed. So would anyone with any sense.

Please don't take my quote out of context.
You did not just say we wouldnt be in 3rd without Bale.
You said Bale was the only reason.
Only reason.
One reason.
No other reason.
Only Bale.
That is what one reason only means.

I said there was more than one reason.
More than one.
Bale is one reason and then there would be at least one more reason more than that.
Bale + x where x>0.

Look to be honest I do not think it gets clearer than once again stating what you put and I put in black and white next to each other. Again.

We are in 3rd for one reason and one reason only. Bale.

No. We are 3rd for a variety of reasons. Bale is one

Really disappointed about the result. Thought we will get a comfortable win. But you have to be happy about the way we came back from 2-0 down to draw especially with Lennon, Gallas and Bale injured. The fact we actually finished the match with 9 men when Gallas and Bale got injured makes it satisfying. It was clear we got complacent as too many players didn't turn up.

Without a doubt, Bale's injury will overshadow this result. Hope he will be back soon. But disappointingly he didn't turn up for this match. For some reason, he was too casual from the start. He should have done better with the freekick and another golden chance he got in the first half. Still don't understand what he was trying to do with the freekick which was within his range of scoring goals. Not sure if he was trying to pass it to someone or it was a miskick but it was not pretty. Should have atleast put it on target and made the goalie work. Bale wasted another golden chance when he received the ball with only 1 defender in front of him. He had all the time in the world to go past the defender and score but instead chose to hit it first time which went off target. The result could have been different if Bale had scored one of those chances.

Due credit to Adebayor and Sigurdsson for scoring the goals and keeping us alive in the tie. Nice to see Adebayor scoring for second consecutive European match after scoring against Inter. Maybe it will give him boost of confidence in the second leg. With Bale and Defoe out injured, we have no choice but to look to Adebayor for goals in the second leg. After hitting the post many times before, nice to see Sigurdsson getting another goal. It was off a deflection but he should be credited with the goal as he took it well. Hope he will continue his goal run in the second leg. Holtby should have scored the one-on-one chance with the goalie from the Sigurdsson pass. Was really annoyed to see Parker missing the open goal resulting from that. AVB should tell Parker not to try to score anymore as he is fated not to score goals like Freund before. Parker should have passed to Adebayor who was just beside. If we had scored that and made it 2-2 before halftime, we could have gone on to win the match.

Our midfield was a big letdown in this match. Dembele and Parker let Basel dominate our midfield which enabled them to attack our goal continuosly. We were very fortunate not to concede more goals. Boom shaka laka Sandro fit as he could have stopped the Basel attacks more ruthlessly. Dembele and Parker just don't command the midfield like Sandro does. Happy with Sigurdsson's contribution but don't think Lennon and Holtby did enough in this match. Wish Lennon will step up his game like Bale. Holtby should have scored the one-on-one chance. Boom shaka laka more goal scorers from midfield like Bale.

It is too much to expect our defence to keep a clean sheet nowadays. Except for Vertonghen, the rest of the defence are too error-prone as was proven in this match. Annoyed to see BAE being too casual as usual in this match. He should have stopped Basel crossing for the first goal. Our defence should have dealt with the cross but was too slow to react. Friedel should have done better with the second goal as he reacted too slow for the header which was very close to him. Hope our defence will improve in the second leg as we cannot afford to make any mistakes.

Despite the 2-2 draw, we still have a fighting chance in the second leg. But we need to improve our performance greatly if we want to progress to the semi final. It is going to be difficult in the second leg as we need to play without Bale. Hope AVB will find a way to make the team perform better without Bale and get us the ticket to the semi final.

Last edited:
Please don't take my quote out of context.
You did not just say we wouldnt be in 3rd without Bale.
You said Bale was the only reason.
Only reason.
One reason.
No other reason.
Only Bale.
That is what one reason only means.

I said there was more than one reason.
More than one.
Bale is one reason and then there would be at least one more reason more than that.
Bale + x where x>0.

Look to be honest I do not think it gets clearer than once again stating what you put and I put in black and white next to each other. Again.

Without Bale we would not be in third - yes or no?

If the answer is yes, then the reason we are in third is Bale.

Without Rafael Benitez at Chelsea we wouldn't have been in third.

Therefore, Rafael Benitez at Chelsea is the reason we're in third.

--That's just as valid as what you said - that is, not at all.

Sigurdsson was signed before he came along, and Dembele was a deal long in the works (from before his time). Obviously he knew they were going to be part of his tool-kit, but he did not pick them out and sign them. But are you seriously saying we didn't need them this season? With Sandro injured, Hudd unable to get properly fit enough to be a fully-fledged squad member, Parker out until Xmas??? Modric gone, VdV gone...you see, this is where you tend to make no sense to me. He has used Dembele and Dempsey a lot, he has worked quietly with Sig and Holtby was another body he only brought in during January because (surprise!) he needed the extra talent in the squad due to injuries. The player was destined to stay in Germany until the summer, and then enjoy a full pre-season to acclimatise...IF you want to slag the guy of (and you seemingly do, often) try to choose things which are accurate and stand scrutiny.

I didnt say they were bad players or not required for the future.

Why I said it was mystifying, was that they were NOT a priority. We desperately needed another top striker, cover for Bale, Lennon and BAE.

Similarly, while Lloris is undoubtedly an upgrade on Brad, this also was not a position that urgently needed strengthening at a time when we had three goalkeepers already and one perfectly adequate one.

However, not to get a top striker, good quality AM (to replace VDV) and creative CM to replace Modric along with the other necessities listed above, shows a bewildering naievity in my opinion.

You also keep saying that Ade wasnt his first choice, but dont say who was

Instead of spl

Take out Defoes goals and would we be 3rd?

If you take out any player who has earned us points here and there we'd be further down the table than we currently are - what you're getting at is pointless and so obviously just a way of taking any credit away from the manager

Bale is part of our team and it is the team which has got itself to 3rd.

Top sides have players which are of the highest level and often contribute more than others - what's the fudging problem?

Last edited:

That's a strange question.

Do you mean if we had sold him in the summer? It's impossible to tell what we'd have brought in his place, could have had a more balanced squad with the money potentially.

Or do you mean if he simply ceased to be, vanishing in to thin air?

Without our best player, would we still be 3rd?

Probably not though but what a preposterous question.

Without Drogba, would Chelsea have won all the trophies they won over the past 8 years?

Without Messi, would Barcelona still be 1st?

Without Ronaldo, where the hell would Real Madrid even be?

Serious fellas, there is no point trying an argument based on logic with someone who does not comprehend how logic works.

Basically, if Hitler hadn't invaded Russia then Spurs wouldn't be third but as it is lamb was £1 for 100g today in Sainsbury's.
Bargain.

I didnt say they were bad players or not required for the future.

You said AVB signed them all. He didn't. Some were already in.

Why I said it was mystifying, was that they were NOT a priority. We desperately needed another top striker, cover for Bale, Lennon and BAE.

AVB wanted Will.i.am. That we didn't get the deal done is not his fault.

Similarly, while Lloris is undoubtedly an upgrade on Brad, this also was not a position that urgently needed strengthening at a time when we had three goalkeepers already and one perfectly adequate one.

Vital signing for the system we play as shown repeatedly this season. Wish he'd come in earlier, two of the early season draws might have been wins.

However, not to get a top striker, good quality AM (to replace VDV) and creative CM to replace Modric along with the other necessities listed above, shows a bewildering naievity in my opinion.

He wanted Moutinho, didn't get him. Dembele is creative in another sense. Sigurdsson was seen as a potential for the AM position. Not 'bewildering naivety' more than 'not got the wonga'...remember we were also in for Oscar (another AVB really wanted) but curiously lost out.

You also keep saying that Ade wasnt his first choice, but dont say who was

Damaio. Again, a deal which couldn't get done at the last due to massive goal-post shifting. Ade sat most of the summer knowing all this was happening. Contributed, IMHO, to his early season malaise.

Instead of spl

???

My replies in bold above

If the had fits?

btw it is "off" not "of" after "slag"

Fair play, although I have to point out that an army of proof-readers have saved my life too many times.

You would have to say, 'pseudo' is one that an, er, 'intellectual' shouldn't be getting wrong though...:-"

My replies in bold above

They were all signed under his watch. So the ones you say he didnt sanction - should he be held responsible for?

It seems incredulous to me that a new manager would not have any say over the new signings. My understanding is that only Verts well under way before he arrived.

Are you therefore saying, he didnt want Ade? Or Sig? Or Lloris? Or Dembele ? Or Dempsey? or Holtby? If that was the case, why are we signing players the manager doesnt want.

Given your scenario, all the funds should have been spent on Damio, Moutinho and Willian - or players of that ilk - NOT a bevy of similar type players in positions where we were already well stocked? Especially given the other areas which anyone with any sense can see we needed cover (or better) desperately.

You dont seem to want to hold AVB accountable for anything. Strange given he is the manager.

Also, who sanctioned all those players to go out on loan? Again, not AVB I suppose in your apologist world.

Finally, Bale got injured in the Fulham match and was plainly struggling virtually throughout. He got flu and was injured. Do you thing SAF would have allowed a player in that condition to go on international duty? He couldnt complete more than 45 minutes against Scotland, and then picked up yet another niggling injury against Croatia. Knowing all this, AVB played him in no less than four positions against Basel. He was clearly knackered and injured and still he hasnt been given any sort of protection by our management. I just hope his injury isnt as bad as it looked. According to AVB he should be back for the City game - but we all know how accurate he is at forcasting returnees from injury.

Last edited:
Without our best player, would we still be 3rd?

Probably not though but what a preposterous question.

Without Drogba, would Chelsea have won all the trophies they won over the past 8 years?

Without Messi, would Barcelona still be 1st?

Without Ronaldo, where the hell would Real Madrid even be?

=D> AVB has made mistakes and most likely made mistakes in this match. But he is a young manager learning with us. I think he has done well this season to have us competing on 2 fronts and 3rd after 32 games. It's typical of Spurs fans that we underestimate a side because it is from the swiss league. Basle knocked out Man Utd from CL last season unless I am mistaken. Would love us to win this tournament and the way things have gone this season we have come back against Lyon and Inter milan when seemingly down and out so things may still go our way.

Fair play, although I have to point out that an army of proof-readers have saved my life too many times.

You would have to say, 'pseudo' is one that an, er, 'intellectual' shouldn't be getting wrong though...:-"

How pretentious.

Back