• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur v Wigan Athletic Match History 2005-2013 & OMT

They were widely acknowledged to have played really well at City?

Yes they did.

They can play a good game but when you're gifted the start we had, to not take all three points is got to be seen as an opportunity missed , certainly by a team with top four aspirations.

Yes, they are good at this time of the year. I give you that much. But surely, having already fudging lost to them at home, with an abject performance to boot, we would have avoided complacency? Surely, having tasted defeat at home against these lads, we would treat them respect?

AVB's built his Spurs reputation around getting the team to learn from their mistakes. Today, we showed that we didn't learn anything from the last time we played them. We were complacent. Jan was complacent when Boyce casually climbed above him to score the equaliser. The whole team was complacent when the ball was played to Mcmanaman on the edge of the area, believing that he couldn't touch,turn and shoot as quickly as he did. The whole team then became petulant, clueless and unmotivated, passing sideways and shying away from responsibility.

I understand your argument: Wigan are indeed good at this time of the year. But we threw that game away, make no mistake. Just like we threw away the corresponding home game.

It was our fault. No one else's.

I don't think we were complacent at all. We clearly wanted to win this game. The corner defending has been utter toss lately but to win a game isn't as simple as saying 'you lost to these lot before, make sure it doesn't happen again' because there are more factors.

The flow of the game helped Wigan. We played really encouragingly first half, and then they took the lead and decided to sit back ala Stoke. That's where sideways passing comes from, not because it's all we were motivated to do. And to be honest their second goal was just a sweet goal, unlucky for us but there isn't too much that could have been done. A good touch gave the guy space and he hit it well.

I don't doubt that second half was total brick from our point of view. But I don't think it was lack of effort or mentality necessarily, we just came up against a really good Wigan side that decided to bank on sitting deep.

I think we should have sat back more. Play the ball across midfield to try and drag them out. That won't work when you have a player always looking for quick releases. As an individual performance it may look good, but it doesn't do much for the team.

Think this is a bit of a myth. If an inferior team is winning and defending deep, they're not going to get 'dragged out'. If the opposition wants to pass it amongst themselves miles away from their goal, I'm sure they'd be happy to do it.

How often do Manu lose or draw from winning positions?

We've lost 24 points from winning positions this season. 24! That is a fudge of a lot which ever way you look at it.

Going to need some results to go our way to get top 4.

Tottenham v Southampton (3 points)

Chelsea v Tottenham (0 points)

Stoke v Tottenham (1 point)

Tottenham v Sunderland (3 points)

7 more points which i don't think will be enough.

We played far too narrowly for most of the game. Seemed to do absolutely nothing for the bulk of the second half but play it in ever-tightening circles until we were pressed into making an error. IMO, we should be thankful for the undeserved point. Two flukey goals, and we were lucky to get that much. The Arse still have to play these as well; let's see how they fare.*

* rhetorical.

Didn't really deserve a point but suppose we'll take it. Dont think it's good enough for us, because I don't see Arsenal/Chelsea slipping up and now means we have to beat Chelsea, although on performance today we could struggle up at Stoke!

I don't understand our players at all. Always saying they want to make up for last year, we give ourselves a great chance in a massive result beating Emirates Marketing Project, there we are thinking they will be full of confidence, then we go to Wigan and put on that performance. Ridiculous really!

I think we were good for a point. Created a lot of chances that we couldn't finish.

Final ball wasn't great.

And could have snatched it at the death, that wouldn't have been deserved, but would have been ecstatic.

End of the day even if Wigan played well, if we really want to be in the champions league we need to be beating these teams.

We played far too narrowly for most of the game. Seemed to do absolutely nothing for the bulk of the second half but play it in ever-tightening circles until we were pressed into making an error. IMO, we should be thankful for the undeserved point. Two flukey goals, and we were lucky to get that much. The Arse still have to play these as well; let's see how they fare.

Arsenal are at home.

Yes they did.

They can play a good game but when you're gifted the start we had, to not take all three points is got to be seen as an opportunity missed , certainly by a team with top four aspirations.

Yup, I agree. If we held on from that corner they score, it could have turned out a lot nicer for us. But that's football. We could have picked them off if they had to come at us even more but as it was they score a sweet goal and it makes things harder from us.

I can definitely see them getting something at Arsenal. They clocked up like 60% possession at West Ham and gave City a lot of scares. They are a good team and can do us a favour. We didn't necessarily need a win today, we need to win when Chelsea play United and Everton and we have winnable home games. We also probably need to beat Stoke.

Stoke now worry me a bit, I was pretty confident of that game at first because being the home team they might be drawn out a bit more. But as Wigan showed today a home team can sit back for long periods if they so desire. Then again Stoke aren't currently putting in Wigan-esque performances at this stage of the season, so on balance we should win there considering what's at stake. I will be more annoyed if we don't beat Stoke than I ever would have been today, because Wigan defy their position in these months of the season. Then again if Stoke score a goal from a corner and then decide to sit back on it, that game could be just as difficult.

our passing and movement is shocking....AVB has a lot of work to do in the summer

my point has been missed

they did play well, but city stepped up and used their advantages to get the win, we didn't

But if Wigan took one of their numerous chances at City they may have taken some points off of them...their performance shows they are a good team that can cause more expensively assembled teams serious problems, especially at this stage of the season.

The argument that 'if we really want to be top 4 we should be beating Wigan away' is just ludicrous. It's like Man United saying 'if we really want to be title challengers we need to beat them away' yet even they can fall to them when they should have been at maximum focus. This was my second hardest game after Chelsea away in my predictions, so I'm pretty happy with a point. If we managed to score right at the end there, I would have been fudging overjoyed.

Going to need some results to go our way to get top 4.

Tottenham v Southampton (3 points)

Chelsea v Tottenham (0 points)

Stoke v Tottenham (1 point)

Tottenham v Sunderland (3 points)

7 more points which i don't think will be enough.

Goal difference is against us, that's why we needed three points today. We could get 9 points out of our remaining fixtures and then, we can add another 'Tottenham first' to our name after last season's, first team to be denied CL qualification due to another team winning it .

Tottenham Hotspur will become the first team to gain more than 70 points and fail to qualify for the CL :(

I don't think we were complacent at all. We clearly wanted to win this game. The corner defending has been utter toss lately but to win a game isn't as simple as saying 'you lost to these lot before, make sure it doesn't happen again' because there are more factors.

The flow of the game helped Wigan. We played really encouragingly first half, and then they took the lead and decided to sit back ala Stoke. That's where sideways passing comes from, not because it's all we were motivated to do. And to be honest their second goal was just a sweet goal, unlucky for us but there isn't too much that could have been done. A good touch gave the guy space and he hit it well.

I don't doubt that second half was total brick from our point of view. But I don't think it was lack of effort or mentality necessarily, we just came up against a really good Wigan side that decided to bank on sitting deep.

To win a game is to nullify your opposition while exploiting your own strengths.

Correspondingly, against Wigan, it meant realising the mistakes that had led to us losing it last time (slow start, no penetration, lacklustre break-away defending) and denying them the opportunity to employ their favoured tactics (6 across the back, 3 men hounding Bale/Dempsey/Defoe), while closing them down effectively and maintaining concentration for the full ninety minutes.

We were given the perfect start: a ludicrously lucky goal that would have forced Wigan to come out and play, stretching the game and allowing us to create more opportunities in our favor.

We then did what no top team should ever do: concede directly after scoring. We switched off at a corner, Jan casually lost his man and Boyce scored, meaning we held the lead for a grand total of one minute.

We lost concentration when we most needed it. And then, Wigan could play the way they liked: defensive and reliant upon break-aways.

So we failed the first 'What have we learned' test. We didn't concentrate, again, despite being punished for it in the disastrous home game.

Having done that, though, we could at least have sprung into action at the start of the second half, getting at Wigan with quick, purposeful passing when they were still trying to take the lead. But we didn't. We gave the ball away, made stupid errors and allowed them time and space on the ball outside our area. They scored. 2-1. Now they could sit back to their heart's content. So again, we failed to learn from last time: don't let Wigan take the lead.

Finally, having made consecutive errors of judgement, we compounded them by putting in an utterly inept attacking display, devoid of threat or purpose. We were petulant ,conceded stupid free-kicks and played at a snail's tempo: perfectly suiting Wigan. Again, a stupid thing to do.

In summary, we learned nothing from the last time we played Wigan. They were no better than they were at the Lane. We were just equally as bad as we were then.

Back