• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

I've been there too. Its definitely not gradual.

IMO (FWIW)

Corners - Wont be too bad as the ball will be placed on the very outside edge of the arc so you should be able to get a couple of strides in. It's also the same for both teams.
Warm ups - That would be an area of concern for me, especially in studs/blades etc. Maybe they will walk along for stretches and then do short bursts up the hill as opposed to along the side.

I think the only issue with players warming up, are getting in the way of officials but as you say they can go to the other side, and they'll have to keep moving not to obstruct the crowds view, but that's the same everywhere.

The slope that the likes of billyiddo, benny_lad and dozens of others who've been to the fan familiarisation event have seen in 1st person and the one that many of the rest of us can clearly see with our eyes in photos too?

My comment about being positive no matter what? I was saying that I find it funny that BoL, one of the most persistently level headed, constantly positive posters on this board (or in fact, in any walk of life where I know Spurs fans) is being talked to as if he goes around talking down the club at every opportunity, when in reality, he's been nothing but positive for years. Just because he's dared to a) mention there's a slope and b) to find it silly that if that is indeed the final state of the pitch (which he's said many times he doesn't think it would be) that we've spent close to £1 billion on a new stadium where our players may not be able to take the full range of throw ins/ corners etc or do normal warm ups and perhaps sillier still that others would be ok with that. Again though, with him saying that he doesn't believe that would be the case.

There is nothing underhanded about anything I posted. And yes, you certainly could make that point about posters who put a negative spin on anything and you'd likely have some merit in doing so. What I'm talking about however is akin to having a discussion with one of those posters and essentially suggesting that they're being outrageously positive about something when there is no precedent for this at all.
The corner slope billy posted is on the opposite side of the pitch to the side the players will be warming up on. I copied and reposted a photo of the side the players will be on in an earlier reply and asked you and BOL, or anyone else to explain what slope you are talking about, now you are using billy’s Photo of the other side of the pitch as evidence? Even in that photo the side of the pitch, quite clearly to me anyway, flatten out as you move away from the corner flag up the pitch.

You are using the fact that BOL is a positive poster to somehow imply that if he’s pointing it out then he must be right in this instance,.. aren’t you? I’m saying (maybe not very well) that what’s the fact that he’s a positive poster got to do with the price of fish?! If the photo i re-posted doesn’t have a big slope on it then what does it matter if BOL is normally positive or not?

And anyway, wasn’t it established that at the fan event the pitch wasn’t in game mode? Not sure if that’s true or not, but seem to remember someone posting something?

The corner slope billy posted is on the opposite side of the pitch to the side the players will be warming up on. I copied and reposted a photo of the side the players will be on in an earlier reply and asked you and BOL, or anyone else to explain what slope you are talking about, now you are using billy’s Photo of the other side of the pitch as evidence? Even in that photo the side of the pitch, quite clearly to me anyway, flatten out as you move away from the corner flag up the pitch.

You are using the fact that BOL is a positive poster to somehow imply that if he’s pointing it out then he must be right in this instance,.. aren’t you? I’m saying (maybe not very well) that what’s the fact that he’s a positive poster got to do with the price of fish?! If the photo i re-posted doesn’t have a big slope on it then what does it matter if BOL is normally positive or not?

And anyway, wasn’t it established that at the fan event the pitch wasn’t in game mode? Not sure if that’s true or not, but seem to remember someone posting something?

The picture you posted still shows a slope. It isn't a flat line. The pictures we've seen, of both touchlines, shows at least an element of a slope. We're not here arguing about exact degrees of the angle. But you're asking what slope we're looking it when it would be literally impossible to say that this is a flat surface.

No, the evidence I'm using are the pictures we've all seen and, far more importantly, from the anecdotal evidence of the people who've actually been there. I'm guessing billyiddo and benny_lad were able to see more than one touchline in their time there.

That is not what I'm implying at all. Literally at all. I haven't made any comments about whether he is right or not. Also, quick side note, right about what? All the man has said is that there is an angle to the side of the pitch and that he doesn't believe this is how it will look on match day. But that if it is, it is ridiculous that we have spent close to a billion on an imperfect (in any way) playing surface. He hasn't at any point said that it is all a disaster, rip it down, the players are going to crash off the sides. What I've been saying is that some posters have been attacking BoL, as if he's a negative nancy when he is, in fact, one of the most persistently optimistic posters on here. Does that mean he's automatically right? No, of course not and I never suggested that. I just suggested that to somehow suggest he's just looking for negatives, considering his general personality, is....baffling.

That was the hope of many of us (and in fact, I think BoL went back, found the original video explaining the flaps and thought it likely wasn't in match mode) but I don't think any of us will know until the first time we're in there. I hope it is not and it is a bit more flat than that. And not because I think it is a drastic drop.

Anyway, I don't have the time to continue with this and I don't want to derail the thread as it was before. Let's just hope it is as perfect as we all want it to be and we hear good news next week about the moving in date.

The picture you posted still shows a slope. It isn't a flat line. The pictures we've seen, of both touchlines, shows at least an element of a slope. We're not here arguing about exact degrees of the angle. But you're asking what slope we're looking it when it would be literally impossible to say that this is a flat surface.

No, the evidence I'm using are the pictures we've all seen and, far more importantly, from the anecdotal evidence of the people who've actually been there. I'm guessing billyiddo and benny_lad were able to see more than one touchline in their time there.

That is not what I'm implying at all. Literally at all. I haven't made any comments about whether he is right or not. Also, quick side note, right about what? All the man has said is that there is an angle to the side of the pitch and that he doesn't believe this is how it will look on match day. But that if it is, it is ridiculous that we have spent close to a billion on an imperfect (in any way) playing surface. He hasn't at any point said that it is all a disaster, rip it down, the players are going to crash off the sides. What I've been saying is that some posters have been attacking BoL, as if he's a negative nancy when he is, in fact, one of the most persistently optimistic posters on here. Does that mean he's automatically right? No, of course not and I never suggested that. I just suggested that to somehow suggest he's just looking for negatives, considering his general personality, is....baffling.

That was the hope of many of us (and in fact, I think BoL went back, found the original video explaining the flaps and thought it likely wasn't in match mode) but I don't think any of us will know until the first time we're in there. I hope it is not and it is a bit more flat than that. And not because I think it is a drastic drop.
Well I can’t talk for others, but I don’t think I’ve said that he has said (!) “it’s all a disaster let’s burn it down” have I? But then I have had a few drinks over the Christmas / new year period, maybe there’s some posts I don’t remember making?!!

I just don’t see any significant slope on the side of the pitch the players will warm up on? There’s about a 2 meter Astroturf siding to run on, it’s not flat, but it certainly doesn’t look like anything to even raise a comment about let alone stress over. I can only go on the photos of that side of the pitch I’ve seen, if anyone has anything showing a slope on that side then I’d be very interested to see it.

Anyway, I’ve given this particular concern too much oxygen already I think.

Cheers mate, I appreciate you don't want to continue on this line of conversation but thanks for making me feel like I'm not going mad. Genuinely just cannot understand why, if we have spent a considerable amount of money on building one of, if not the, best stadium(s) in the world, that people would be happy if the players can take at best two steps before a corner, can't really run up for a throw in, can't warm up without going to the other side of the pitch where there might be a slightly flatter slope or risk running into a linesman etc etc. As you have noted, it's not that I am saying all of these things are actually going to happen, because I assume there is something we have not yet seen. But can't understand the people arguing that anything less than perfect for our elite players in our state of the art stadium would be ok.

Cheers mate, I appreciate you don't want to continue on this line of conversation but thanks for making me feel like I'm not going mad. Genuinely just cannot understand why, if we have spent a considerable amount of money on building one of, if not the, best stadium(s) in the world, that people would be happy if the players can take at best two steps before a corner, can't really run up for a throw in, can't warm up without going to the other side of the pitch where there might be a slightly flatter slope or risk running into a linesman etc etc. As you have noted, it's not that I am saying all of these things are actually going to happen, because I assume there is something we have not yet seen. But can't understand the people arguing that anything less than perfect for our elite players in our state of the art stadium would be ok.

Can you understand that Spurs and us may benifit from it?

1. our players will be used to it, other sides won't be, no more long throwns into our box at home
2. the crowd have optimal viewing and
3. it really isn't a big deal that the few players who normally take 3 steps run up, can only take 2 at NWHL.

[QUOTE="BrainOfLevy, post: 1133826, member: 859]can't warm up without going to the other side of the pitch where there might be a slightly flatter slope or risk running into a linesman etc.[/QUOTE/]
Where has this come from now? The side of the pitch the dugouts are on looks perfectly fine doesnt it? It’s almost flat with about a 2 meter AstroTurf siding.

I didn’t do very well leaving this topic alone did I?!?

Can you understand that Spurs and us may benifit from it?

1. our players will be used to it, other sides won't be, no more long throwns into our box at home
2. the crowd have optimal viewing and
3. it really isn't a big deal that the few players who normally take 3 steps run up, can only take 2 at NWHL.

Throw ins I can see the benefit in, because we would never take a long throw. Everything else, I think it's frankly ridiculous that people would be ok without the space to do the things I've mentioned above. It would look budget, like we've thought of everything down to onsite brewery and cheese room but haven't thought about the actual football.

[QUOTE="BrainOfLevy, post: 1133826, member: 859]can't warm up without going to the other side of the pitch where there might be a slightly flatter slope or risk running into a linesman etc.[/QUOTE/]
Where has this come from now? The side of the pitch the dugouts are on looks perfectly fine doesnt it? It’s almost flat with about a 2 meter AstroTurf siding.

You keep saying there is 2 meters almost flat, which I have never seen in any picture.

You keep saying there is 2 meters almost flat, which I have never seen in any picture.
I have never said it was flat, I said it’s a slight camber, but certainly no worse than a lot of other grounds and nothing to worry about. The photo has been posted twice now in the last few pages. It’s not Billy’s one that you keep referencing, the players will be warming up on the opposite side to that.

I have never said it was flat, I said it’s a slight camber, but certainly no worse than a lot of other grounds and nothing to worry about. The photo has been posted twice now in the last few pages. It’s not Billy’s one that you keep referencing, the players will be warming up on the opposite side to that.

I've not seen any other ground with a similar situation. I've seen people reference OT, which has much more flatter space before their slope begins.

And let me say, the fact that they have actually built a platform for the goals to make sure that the space within the goals is flat means that of course, they know full well there is a slope there, and they know what they need to do to make the appropriate areas flat where they need to be.

I just cannot get my head around why people think an imperfect stadium built at great expense would be ok, or an advantage to us, or something the players should be able to make do with. It's supposed to be one of the best grounds in the world. It's supposed to look like we have thought of everything.

And let me say, the fact that they have actually built a platform for the goals to make sure that the space within the goals is flat means that of course, they know full well there is a slope there, and they know what they need to do to make the appropriate areas flat where they need to be.

I just cannot get my head around why people think an imperfect stadium built at great expense would be ok, or an advantage to us, or something the players should be able to make do with. It's supposed to be one of the best grounds in the world. It's supposed to look like we have thought of everything.
Maybe people just don’t agree with you that it’s imperfect, maybe they think a slight slope for players to warm up on isn’t an issue at all.

I share your flummox but in a different direction! ;)

Did any of you who went on the Fan Familiarisation event measure the size of the pitch? Just a thought but maybe if this is an issue they could shrink it by a yard or so before we start to play for real?.

On the subject of elite athletes and slopes, I'm sure I once saw Mo Farah run down into an underpass and back out again without mishap, whilst competing in the London Marathon. Managed to avoid all the stewards as well.

On the plus side this slope/no slope/catastrophic slope thing is going to push this thread beyond 1k pages no problem :D

Don't the subs just warm up alongside the touchline using whatever half of the pitch that the linesman at that end is not occupying?

I don't see how this will be any different at the new stadium compared to at WHL?

The only issue that I can see would be if FIFA (or whoever) suddenly decide that they want to have two linesman in each half of the pitch instead of going down the technology route.

Throw ins I can see the benefit in, because we would never take a long throw. Everything else, I think it's frankly ridiculous that people would be ok without the space to do the things I've mentioned above. It would look budget, like we've thought of everything down to onsite brewery and cheese room but haven't thought about the actual football.

If that really is the final configuration, it'll be laughable IMO. That corner flag precipice looks positively dangerous. Hurts my clavicle just looking at it.

Reactions: PJ.

Hard to disagree with that. We can't expect players to warm up on a sloped surface or not be able to take inswinging corners, it would be ridiculous. I'm not really worried or concerned, but quite intrigued by this corner conundrum, as it really does look strange as it is.

Back