• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Pretty sure I read somewhere in the bowels of this thread that the sponsorship deal is usually one of the last things to get sorted. Something along the lines that it makes no sense for global companies to start shelling out until there is a actually a completed shiny new stadium to put their name to?

Also I can see it annoying current sponsors if a new company comes in and gets all the column inches and becomes synonymous with the club when their deal hasn't even started yet.

Plus I'd imagine there are hundreds of companies trying to win the naming rights so makes sense for them all to fight amongst each other for longer to get the most money out of them. Levy is not silly.

I think the main reason is avoidance of bad press.

If the stadium is heavily delayed or if there are any injuries or deaths during the build it would reflect badly.

Pretty sure I read somewhere in the bowels of this thread that the sponsorship deal is usually one of the last things to get sorted. Something along the lines that it makes no sense for global companies to start shelling out until there is a actually a completed shiny new stadium to put their name to?

No and yes.

At the size of sponsorship deal we're looking for, there will be very few companies in the world (if any) who have that money sitting in a marketing budget to commit at short notice.

On the other hand a deal could be done but not announced before it begins. There is value in that association that club will want to be paid for, while the sponsor won't want to pay anything before they can receive some tangible benefits.

Arsenal announced their stadium/shirt sponsorship deal 2 seasons before it opened.
In hindsight the Arsenal deal was a lesson on how not to run a sponsorship deal. It was long term guaranteed income but buy the end of it massively undervalued.

In marketing terms you would usually want a long run up to a sponsorship deal, thats from someone that has spent money for organisations in Sports marketing.

But it all depends on the terms of the deal really, its more complicated than people think

In hindsight the Arsenal deal was a lesson on how not to run a sponsorship deal. It was long term guaranteed income but buy the end of it massively undervalued.

Agreed, but I think it was also a sign of the financial requirements for their stadium project. They needed to show that the guaranteed revenue was there over an extended period.

Of the later deals showing it was undervalued, I can't think of any that were linked to a new stadium.

I'd imagine it wont be announced until its near completion?

I have no source or information to back that up with, it's just what I would do if buying into it!

I'm sure someone involved in the project (maybe the minutes of the THST meeting or something) said we wouldn't enter serious negotiations until about a year before it opens (so roughly August 2017).

The reason was, as mentioned, to do with risk of non or late completion. The more of a sure thing it is, the more money we'd be able to request.

No and yes.

At the size of sponsorship deal we're looking for, there will be very few companies in the world (if any) who have that money sitting in a marketing budget to commit at short notice.

On the other hand a deal could be done but not announced before it begins. There is value in that association that club will want to be paid for, while the sponsor won't want to pay anything before they can receive some tangible benefits.

I don't know. £10m-15m a year is practically executive pay

(City get £20m a year, but that's a FFP fiddle; the Olympic Stadium has been available for £6m pa)

I don't know. £10m-15m a year is practically executive pay

(City get £20m a year, but that's a FFP fiddle; the Olympic Stadium has been available for £6m pa)

The top level figure can be very misleading - take a look at Man Utd's Training Ground deal with Aon as a prime example.

My point is that companies don't carry that sort of marketing surplus to be commited at short notice (not that they can't afford it), and that internal approvals on the value and returns from a long term deal takes time.

It's not a quick process, and certainly not the type of deal that will be done at the last minute.

I was under the impression according to some on here that we are definitely playing our League games at Wembley next season. But according to Kane “We don’t know what we are doing next season – we could be there next season – so we want to make it as good for us as possible and win as many games as we can there and get that confidence going because we could be playing there a few times this season

Hmmm...

I was under the impression according to some on here that we are definitely playing our League games at Wembley next season. But according to Kane “We don’t know what we are doing next season – we could be there next season – so we want to make it as good for us as possible and win as many games as we can there and get that confidence going because we could be playing there a few times this season

Hmmm...
its just a rag but.... http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...ch-to-secure-temporary-home-for-a3442511.html

Hmmm...
Tottenham are staying a decision until the very last moment in case there's some kind of hitch or delay with the stadium. Wembley have set a deadline of around the end of March for a decision.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footbal...o-months-to-make-wembley-decision_289782.html

Levy is not one to sign deals early, so we might be wise to expect a late stadium sponsorship deal.

However, I think a new sponsor is unlikely to want to be linked with the new stadium while WHL is still standing and about to be demolished right next to their the stadium they were sponsoring. Wrecking balls next to their logo is probably not the image they want to promote.

So even if we had a deal lined up, I'd expect them to delay an announcement at least until middle or late summer. An announcement just before the season starts might be a good time as attention to football resumes.

Back