• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Torres

They both went down holding their face and Torres deserved to be off the pitch for previous incidents.

Also how Ramires got away without a booking is beyond me.

Agreed ! Shame, coz as a player he is excellent, but he must be very frustrated to lash out as he did. Moaninho was saying to torres, should have stayed down - both get a yellow, both off ! We'd have been in real trouble then as we lose our better CB.

Also, very glad got Torres off - Jan had him in his pocket, Torres lashed out several times coz he got sooo frustrated. Super Jan !

Dont go down that road with me or ill have to point out that you can't spell Chelsea.

I'm on a phone buddy but its good to see you'll stoop that low. Shows you know you've lost the argument.

Good man yourself.

Mate this is not meant as an "attack" on you but I am irritated that some Spurs fans are effectively giving the special cnut succour. What ever Verts did Torres did too but Mourinho does not mention it. Fair enough to be irritated by the yellow but lets not crucify verts for something his own player did too. The reaction of Torres suggests he knew he had done something wrong otherwise he would have got straight up. As for the scratch absolutely no place on a professional football pitch, it's primary school playground stuff and kids will copy that kind of behaviour. Injury here is irrelevant it should be a straight red as it's totally unacceptable.

But Torres didn't touch him. If he'd wanted to do Jan he could have. He didn't touch him.

Not only do we disagree with you fella, but so does Sir Isaac Newton.

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2013/09/28/video-fernando-torres-red-card-vs-tottenham-2013-sent-off-spurs-chelsea-september/

This site has different videos of the incident, full-speed and slow-motion. In full speed, you can see Torres charging into Jan. Full force. He didn't head-butt him or put his elbow in, but he ran and jumped into Jan who was stationary and going for the ball. That's a yellow all day long.

In slow-motion you can clearly see that Torres' impact affects Jan; the ball hits him a bit awkwardly and the force of Torres spins him in the air so he lands on his hands, the other way around with his feet in the air.

If you can simulate that movement at home with nobody touching you, I'd love to see a video of it.

Not only do we disagree with you fella, but so does Sir Isaac Newton.

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2013/09/28/video-fernando-torres-red-card-vs-tottenham-2013-sent-off-spurs-chelsea-september/

This site has different videos of the incident, full-speed and slow-motion. In full speed, you can see Torres charging into Jan. Full force. He didn't head-butt him or put his elbow in, but he ran and jumped into Jan who was stationary and going for the ball. That's a yellow all day long.

In slow-motion you can clearly see that Torres' impact affects Jan; the ball hits him a bit awkwardly and the force of Torres spins him in the air so he lands on his hands, the other way around with his feet in the air.

If you can simulate that movement at home with nobody touching you, I'd love to see a video of it.

Thank you. It is extremely frustrating, though, to have a discussion with people who can see the evidence before them, and yet they will still deny what they see. Is is like arguing with Comical Ali. That is why I lost my cool last night.

I personally thought at the time it was a straight red as it looked like he lead with the elbow into the face from where I was sat but on reflection it was only a yellow. But it was definitely worth the second booking, whether you look at from a point of view of cumulative offences or the fact that he made no attempt to play the ball and was hoping to somehow catch Vertonghen without being noticed.

Torres was superb in terms of football but he was very cynical from the start and was definitely try to leave his foot/elbow in when making a challenge. Add to that kicking the ball away, general dissent and other fouls and it all adds up to a red card regardless of how it came.

I thought Ramires was fortunate not to go as well for persistent infrignements (maninly dissent) and he should have been 2nd booked for his lunge on Dembele in the first half that set up a counter attack for them and left Mousa down in thier half.

Wow, this thread! I think some are going to wake up pretty emabarrased in the morning, some shockingly poor opinions/arguments given tonight.

Torres was a disgrace today, clear second yellow, no attempt to win the ball, Classic tell of looking at the player instead of the ball in the challenge, should have been a straight red for the face gouge 30 mins earlier, but apparentely that wouldn't have changed the game?! :)

But no, let's criticize Jan for holding his face where the ball hit him, but ignore Torres holding his face for nothing after his **** challenge.

Honestly, there's some right jokers post on here!

+1

really struggle to comprehend some people's attitude on subjects like this.

there was an on going battle between these two throughout the game (something maybe that wasn't picked up on by the cameras) and i think under the circumstances Vertonghen done well to get Torres sent off

Once a dirty player, always a dirty player...

Twitter / OptaJoe: 27 & 3 - The number of yellow (27) and red (3) cards shown to Fernando Torres in both La Liga and the Premier League. Symmetry.

I thought Torres should have been sent off much earlier for the face gouge, and Mourinho is trying to distract the media from that. That lunge was just disgusting, if it were Suarez he would've been banned for next ten games.

I thought Torres should have been sent off much earlier for the face gouge, and Mourinho is trying to distract the media from that. That lunge was just disgusting, if it were Suarez he would've been banned for next ten games.

I agree. What Torres did was worse that the Suarez biting incident so he should get a 12 match ban. I now know why the Spanish football press dislike Mourinho so much. His taunts and slander about Jan were an absolute disgrace. I hope that he is sacked by Chelski again.

And for Mourinho, the eye gouger, to talk about acting in a professional manner is ridonculous.

+1

really struggle to comprehend some people's attitude on subjects like this.

there was an on going battle between these two throughout the game (something maybe that wasn't picked up on by the cameras) and i think under the circumstances Vertonghen done well to get Torres sent off

Mate...Torres got himself sent off. Actions, intent plus his repeatedly big mouth aimed at Mike Dean's ear...he gave the ref so many opportunities. Incidently, I think we both agree on the general principle!

Fernando Torres is staring at a four-match ban for gouging and scratching Jan Vertonghen’s face in a development sure to enrage Chelsea and their manager Jose Mourinho.

Sportsmail understands Mike Dean showed Torres his first yellow card for a trip on Spurs defender Vertonghen, not for raising his hands in the confrontation which followed. None of Dean’s assistants saw the flashpoint and the referee will report these facts to the FA’s disciplinary department today.

From there, it will be immediately passed to a new panel of three ex-referees, who will judge whether the scratching offence deserves a red card for violent conduct.

If they decide it does, Torres will be banned for three games in addition to the automatic one-match ban for his red card.

The Chelsea striker would miss Barclays Premier League games against Norwich, Cardiff and Emirates Marketing Project and the Capital One Cup tie against Arsenal, although he would be free to play in Europe.

An extended ban will infuriate Torres, who was aggrieved to be sent off nine minutes from time when Dean dismissed him with a second yellow card for what replays suggested was a fair aerial challenge, again with Vertonghen.

The £50million striker had been quite brilliant at White Hart Lane and was especially dangerous in the second half once his feud with Vertonghen had taken hold.

It rekindled memories of last season when his nose was broken in a Europa League tie against Steaua Bucharest and he reacted with perhaps the best display of his Chelsea career.

Mourinho refused to criticise the officials but accused Vertonghen - also booked earlier for a foul on Ramires of over-reacting and feigning injury - to get Torres dismissed.

'When you do that to someone from your same profession, I think it's a disgrace', said the Chelsea boss.

'When nobody touches you and nobody hurts you and you pretend that the opponent made a violent contact, you are putting the referee in a very difficult situation. The referee trusts the player and gives a bad decision.

'The red card is a big mistake. If I was the boss of the committee I would give a one-match suspension to the Tottenham defender.'

Mourinho put an arm around Torres' shoulder as he left the pitch and offered a word of encouragement. 'He knows I'm very happy with his performances,' said the manager, who thought his striker's improved physical condition was the key to his good form, rather than simply an explosion of rage.

'He's very strong, physically. I was watching Fernando's matches for Chelsea in other seasons and he looked a bit heavy, a little slow. I think Fernando looks in fantastic shape now.'

There was also praise for John Terry, who scored the equaliser and is out of contract at the end of the season. 'He has a future,' said Mourinho. 'The way he is playing he has a future in China, a future here. He has a future where he wants.'

Meanwhile, Kevin de Bruyne has been axed by Mourinho and will not travel to Romania for tomorrow's Champions League tie against Steaua Bucharest.

The Belgian was left out at Tottenham after a poor display in the Capital One Cup at Swindon, and has been told to train with the U21 squad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2438019/Chelsea-striker-Fernando-Torres-facing-match-ban-scratching-Jan-Vertonghen.html

Oh dear...

Okay, **** poor post sunshine. Its poor coz youre abusive but that aside..

Torres never touched Jan. Looked like he did on realtime but replay clearly shows he didnt.

Jan acted to get him sent off. If you can't admit that, you're just being. biased.

Acted? Acting is what Luiz did last season vs Man U. Jan grabbed his had for half a second after impact, landing horizontally from 2ft up the air.
Besides, Torres should have been off when he got the first yellow and now he'll get a 4 match ban which he can consider himself lucky with in my opinion.

Last edited:
Moaninho works the media well and gives them what he wants them to have. He will have been fully advised as to what Torres got up if he didn't see it first hand. His words and actions are simply designed to deflect criticism away from his own player and get everyone focusing on sound bites like 'disgrace' or accusations of diving and cheating. People should generally complain en masse to the FA because Moan' has brought the game into disrepute. I'd be very surprised if Torres is not banned for at least 3 matches and I'd like to see the FA set the record straight by reminding players about diving, feigning injury to get players sent off and that managers should keep their mouths firmly shut when speaking to the media.

I find it incredible that anyone on here would be in doubt that Torres' final challenge on Vertonghen warranted a yellow card. It was clear as daylight.

Whatever Vertonghen did or didn't do is completely irrelevant. Torres, already on a yellow, was nowhere near the ball in that challenge. He was far too late in the challenge, and only got the man. In most cases that's a pretty clear yellow. Had Torres actually hit Vertonghen with his elbow as well, the challenge would have warranted a straight red.

Whether or not Torres did this intentionally (I think he did), is also irrelevant, as both an intentional and an intentional foul of that nature is a yellow card offence.

Back