• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

To Dare is to do

Would you rather that Spurs play the most entertaining football, or one that wins titles

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess it really depends on your definition of what makes a country 'great' but American is far from being the 'greatest country' by any benchmark I can think of, unless we are comparing destructive power.

I like the place but it is a fundamentally flawed country in so many ways.

I agree, but its a lovely country to explore and i have made many great friends from my time there. But their politics are shameful and their leaders are warmongers in most cases. ( ie do as i say or we will bomb the brick out of you).

I've been lucky enough to have visited 5 continents and 50 odd countries and found them all geographically wonderful and most inhabitants welcoming and friendly, it's the people in charge who fudge the places up.

I agree, but its a lovely country to explore and i have made many great friends from my time there. But their politics are shameful and their leaders are warmongers in most cases. ( ie do as i say or we will bomb the brick out of you).

It's pretty much two countries though isn't it. The coasts that are civilised, and the big Deliverance area in between

It's pretty much two countries though isn't it. The coasts that are civilised, and the big Deliverance area in between

Well you could say its more then that, most states are different from one another in laws, religion, way of life. I have been lucky enough to have travelled the world quite a bit but i have never been to such a diverse mixture of way of living then from state to state.

Yeah I lived, worked or visited there at various times and the people I met were great and I made many good friendships. It is a great place and I had some fantastic times while I was there but in your peripheral vision there was always another America. It was an America that I was not part of and it is dark and unforgiving. It is an America of the have nots and to live there is to be an outsider in your own country.

How can a country that has so much be so blind and uncaring to large swathes of it's own people? It is so hard to reconcile the differences between people you meet, who for the most part are good and kind, with the brutal nature of the society they are part of. The absolute fallacy that is the American dream goes someway to explaining the division that exists in American society. What we are seeing now is the culmination of that dream with this president. All I now see is a scramble to the top of the pile and it does not matter who you have to stand on to get there. This notion that if you work hard work enough all good things will come to you is the biggest alternative fact yet.

Think it is similar in a lot of countries i am in Thailand at the moment and while a lot of thais have normal houses the are when we have been on tours lots of little shacks by the side of road and people living under bridges.

Sadly as countries move forwards the people dont all move forward at the same rate, something i think India is also dealing with.

Yeah I lived, worked or visited there at various times and the people I met were great and I made many good friendships. It is a great place and I had some fantastic times while I was there but in your peripheral vision there was always another America. It was an America that I was not part of and it is dark and unforgiving. It is an America of the have nots and to live there is to be an outsider in your own country.

How can a country that has so much be so blind and uncaring to large swathes of it's own people? It is so hard to reconcile the differences between people you meet, who for the most part are good and kind, with the brutal nature of the society they are part of. The absolute fallacy that is the American dream goes someway to explaining the division that exists in American society. What we are seeing now is the culmination of that dream with this president. All I now see is a scramble to the top of the pile and it does not matter who you have to stand on to get there. This notion that if you work hard work enough all good things will come to you is the biggest alternative fact yet.

Entirely agreed. The people are extremely like to be warm, caring and kind - the society is a constant struggle between those who want to soften its hard edges and those who unthinkingly adhere to the ruthless dog-eat-dog nature of capitalism, the atomisation of individuals and the death of any societal ideals beyond the preservation of individual liberty (including the liberty to starve to death or die of disease and want) at the cost of any sense of common good.

Mind, the UK isn't immune to falling to these sorts of anti-social tendencies - it happened in the 80's, and has arguably been happening since. 'I've got mine, Jack' is becoming increasingly prevalent in the UK as well, and the idea of the common good (with all that it entails - the NHS, the welfare state, the social security system) is being steadily eroded by the rightward shift in British politics. But I agree that the United States is unparalleled in that regard.

However, I advocated visiting the U.S as a tourist. As a tourist, you're not exposed to the worst excesses of the United States - you are only likely to see people as they are, not as they appear to be within larger societal concerns. And the people there are in the main good, kind and decent folk. That peripheral vision you reference undoubtedly exists, and will present itself to you if you stay long enough - but, as @Danishfurniturelover points out, that ugly peripheral vision of what societies are truly like for many people living within them is present elsewhere as well. China, India, Russia, France, Germany, the UK, Canada....wait long enough and the brutal or otherwise ugly sides of those countries expose themselves to you.

You have to reconcile yourself to that, and see the country for what it fundamentally is, while hoping that the darker natures of those places can be changed in the course of time. After all, society is made by humans, and we are an endlessly adaptable species.

Makes me feel a little sad and guilty but i had a thai girl give me a foot massage in the resort we stayed at. She was chatting to me that she never been out of Thailand.

I do wish the was more equality in the world. It is basically because we were born in the UK that we got the breaks that others did not. I like to think im a fair person, everyone who has ever known me comments on my work ethic. I really dont think it is fair no matter how hard some people work they wont get ahead. That makes me a little sad.

Makes me feel a little sad and guilty but i had a thai girl give me a foot massage in the resort we stayed at. She was chatting to me that she never been out of Thailand.

I do wish the was more equality in the world. It is basically because we were born in the UK that we got the breaks that others did not. I like to think im a fair person, everyone who has ever known me comments on my work ethic. I really dont think it is fair no matter how hard some people work they wont get ahead. That makes me a little sad.

It always makes my blood boil when politicians (many who have never done a days work in their life) talk about "hard working people", almost implying the rest of the population aren't. I like many of you will know a lot of hard working people who are struggling and always will be. Too many people in this country still buy into the "class system" and look down their noses at people doing what they see as menial jobs, without out seeing the dignity and self respect doing a job does for people.

Happy ending?

Happy ending?

It was not that sort of place and frankly though I am more open minded then most on here and I will admit to liking a drink. I found all the 50 plus single white men sat in the bars on their own looking sadly out at the crowd walking past to be sad pathetic men they were the same man you saw darting into the dodgy massage parlours. I have decided I do not like sex tourism.

I am all for men becoming women and fcuking other men or women, grown adults can do as they please, but the whole sex tourist thing just felt sad and pathetic to me.

Thailand is great for normal massage and I have a health issue that is greatly helped by regular massage.

It was not that sort of place and frankly though I am more open minded then most on here and I will admit to liking a drink. I found all the 50 plus single white men sat in the bars on their own looking sadly out at the crowd walking past to be sad pathetic men they were the same man you saw darting into the dodgy massage parlours. I have decided I do not like sex tourism.

I am all for men becoming women and fcuking other men or women, grown adults can do as they please, but the whole sex tourist thing just felt sad and pathetic to me.

Thailand is great for normal massage and I have a health issue that is greatly helped by regular massage.
Agree, walking through Patpong is the most disgusting sordid place I've ever seen. Scum.

Can't say I wasn't tantalised by Thai women and their demure charm, but seeing the fat Germans with 20 year olds made we want Thais to get wealthy so they can tell the sex tourists to do one.

Jealousy or morals? [emoji23]

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Back