• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Timo Werner

I can’t agree
I did the crude analysis yesterday of the goals we conceded this year so far and the oniy ones that fit that description are United away
Since the turn lf the year it’s been a LOT of set piece goals
1 vs West Ham
2 vs everton
1 vs Fulham
1 vs palace (tenuous because it was a free kick)
I vs wolves (smallest man on the pitch)
City in the cup

Brighton got a penalty from our fudge up

Counter attacks for two goals cs wolves and Luton that were defended so poorly as we had numbers but players didn’t take charge

The back pass for Brentford and maybe a counter attack too (not sure what you would call their first goal)

That’s from memory.

Only city of that group are a top side and their goal was foul IMO

So stop conceding weak goals and it makes a huge huge difference. But the Dm unless aerially amazing doesn’t fix that

Imagine is vs wolves we didn’t concede the corner or vs West Ham and then only one set piece vs Everton…. 6 points more form basics
The weird thing is at the start of the season I didn't feel we were vulnerable at at all despite all the 'gung ho, suicide ' media narrative. And when we then had the suspension and injuries after Chelsea it didn't even feel particularly bad then with Royal and Davies as CHs, which was a surprise. I was then convinced as soon as we had our starting back 4 back up and running, the strength of that would help further up the pitch and we'd be back to looking a force BUT it hasn't worked out like that, much for the reasons you state.

Last edited:
The weird thing is at the start of the season I didn't feel we were vulnerable at at all despite all the 'gung ho, suicide ' media narrative. And when we then had the suspension and injuries after Chelsea it didn't even feel particularly bad then with Royal and Davies as CHs, which was a surprise. I was then convinced as soon as we had our starting back 4 up and running, the strength of that would help further up the pitch and we'd be back to looking a force BUT it hasn't worked out like that, much for the reasons you state.
Our record on those turnovers is still really good

It’s the brick goals back in the wrong direction

I really like Summerville, I assumed he was English but is Dutch.

Very good dribbler who would keep defenders occupied. Will be interested to see how he fares in the PL, there are so many Championship players with the potential to make the step up....
It is such a good league to scout from.

That's a different conversation. I'm not talking about xG or the finishing imof chances per se I'm talking about the almost chances, the almost passes. The possesions in the opposition box that don't come to anything. There's an opportunity to hit the opposition for six before they even get a chance. We play the football that can like @tommysvr thinks can hit teams for 4 and 5 but we won't and aren't able to largely in part because far to many of those promising positions and buildups don't even result in a chance on goal. That's where a better quality of forward will make the difference (as well as competition for Maddison).

Why are you bringing me into this? Another one of the fudging prediction police on patrol.

I don't think our press or coordination of our press is as good as it was earlier. Might be a bit of tiredness that feeds into that?
Maybe. But if they are tired with one game a week. Then they are gonna be knackered if we get into Europe and go further in the cups. But hopefully our squad quality will continue to get better

No he's not. He's on €9m a year, according to all sources I've found, which is less than £150k a week .
I was surprised to see that our wage bill matched the Gooners; I always think of them having ridiculous earners like Ozil and Alexis Sanchez and Pepe that just sit in the stands on £350kpw, but I guess they finally addressed all that.

It's annoying that the accounts are always 2 years out of date, I wanna know what is happening RIGHT NOW GODDAMMIT!!

I was surprised to see that our wage bill matched the Gooners; I always think of them having ridiculous earners like Ozil and Alexis Sanchez and Pepe that just sit in the stands on £350kpw, but I guess they finally addressed all that.

It's annoying that the accounts are always 2 years out of date, I wanna know what is happening RIGHT NOW GODDAMMIT!!

We have the likes of ndombele though

Maybe. But if they are tired with one game a week. Then they are gonna be knackered if we get into Europe and go further in the cups. But hopefully our squad quality will continue to get better
I do think that myself BUT it's been relayed by those involved that training is intense and full on. Yes, that's not the same as a game but probably not far off and could be a big difference to how other managers would schedule training.

Plus that would have meant a physical adjustment for every squad member. And the muscle injuries and training ground injuries we have suffered this year would be evidence of the impact of that.

I'm not saying that I hope Ndombele trips on a plate of pasta and falls down a mineshaft, I'm just saying it would solve one of our problems.

Back on the subject of Timo Werner, did you see that video on youtube of him and others absolutely screaming shots into the corners from outside the box. Absolute pinpoint brilliance.
That is what frustrates me, he clearly CAN do it, but in a match he bottles it and pull/scuffs it into the ground and looks forlorn.
Note all the other players also finish poorly in games compared to in training, so it's definitely a pressure thing. Son DOES achieve his training finishes sometimes, but too often players overthink and bottle it and make it look soooo difficult to neatly ping a ball into the corner.

I saw that video, and while the finishing was good for most parts, there is no pressure at all.

Not just Werner, but some of those first touches, or time it took from the first touch to getting a shot away you won't get away with in a game. Someone will have closed you down or taken the ball away already.

For me, is Werner with buying in the summer? I don't know.

I think we need to decide on where players like Son will be playing, if Richalison is staying or will be busy a new striker.

Werner has good pace, but he doesn't anticipate enough for me. He can react to what's going on quickly though.

Solomon has a big question mark over his fitness, and I think he plays with his head down too much, but who would you keep, if we kept one of them?

I'm not saying that I hope Ndombele trips on a plate of pasta and falls down a mineshaft, I'm just saying it would solve one of our problems.

Back on the subject of Timo Werner, did you see that video on youtube of him and others absolutely screaming shots into the corners from outside the box. Absolute pinpoint brilliance.
That is what frustrates me, he clearly CAN do it, but in a match he bottles it and pull/scuffs it into the ground and looks forlorn.
Note all the other players also finish poorly in games compared to in training, so it's definitely a pressure thing. Son DOES achieve his training finishes sometimes, but too often players overthink and bottle it and make it look soooo difficult to neatly ping a ball into the corner.
I did see the training video, and thought if any of you lot did that a bit more often in games it would be nice to see!!

Back