• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

How can anyone judge whether he is any good? Do you want to see the back of Chris Ramsey too?

Didn't Harry have him as the striker coach that season when Crouch and Defoe got about 8 Prem goals between them? At a time when we had Modric, Bale, VdV…two England international strikers…I'd say that we can certainly conclude he'd be better off at West Ham????

Didn't Harry have him as the striker coach that season when Crouch and Defoe got about 8 Prem goals between them? At a time when we had Modric, Bale, VdV…two England international strikers…I'd say that we can certainly conclude he'd be better off at West Ham????

Is there any source for him being a striker coach other than him being a former striker himself?

Been quite a few people seemingly well informed saying that he's been primarily working with our youth setup and that youth setup has done well in recent years.

I don't think he deserves the kind of stick he's getting on here sometimes.

Even if he was involved with the first team the season you mention (still, source please!) he surely wouldn't have been alone working with our strikers?

How can anyone judge whether he is any good? Do you want to see the back of Chris Ramsey too?

It's amazing how so many on here know just about everything about every person connected at the club without ever being anywhere near Spurs HQ or training ground....

Is there any source for him being a striker coach other than him being a former striker himself?

Been quite a few people seemingly well informed saying that he's been primarily working with our youth setup and that youth setup has done well in recent years.

I don't think he deserves the kind of stick he's getting on here sometimes.

Even if he was involved with the first team the season you mention (still, source please!) he surely wouldn't have been alone working with our strikers?

Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Ferdinand#cite_note-Redknapp-4 says

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7711083.stm
Redknapp has already recruited former midfielder Tim Sherwood on to his staff on a part-time basis, and has revealed he now wants Ferdinand, 41, to come in.
"I'm going to speak to Les, I want to bring him in to do a bit of coaching and work with the strikers," he said. "I think he can be a big help to them."

Because we know that TS can get results, no matter what you think of him he has gotten us results. A new temp Manager may not get results.

We know he has got results. We don't know anything about whether he will get them.

Fortunately for us, professionals have a history upon which we can base such a judgement. Timmeh used to send kids to Swindon.

Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Ferdinand#cite_note-Redknapp-4 says

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7711083.stm
Redknapp has already recruited former midfielder Tim Sherwood on to his staff on a part-time basis, and has revealed he now wants Ferdinand, 41, to come in.
"I'm going to speak to Les, I want to bring him in to do a bit of coaching and work with the strikers," he said. "I think he can be a big help to them."

He didn't have responsibility for the strikers though.

Carroll has been talked up by a few of us for ages…in fact, I was hoping he'd get him back in January! His work with Bentaleb has been great, no qualms there. But his 'observations' sound about as rudimentary as kid who watches football. I agree with Rossi, what's so impressive about his 'observations'? Christ, I was banging on about how much the loss of Modric would hurt us when we sold him, it doesn't take a rocket scientist! In fact, everything he's said there has been said here by (as Scara said) us internet chobbers. FFS…grrrrrrrrr….:ross:

I think it goes to show he is a coach.

That could have easily been said by Arry. The difference is Arry proved himself as a manager for decades.

Not saying Sherwood won't, but its a gamble as Sherwood seems such a negative and decisive character

We know he has got results. We don't know anything about whether he will get them.

Fortunately for us, professionals have a history upon which we can base such a judgement. Timmeh used to send kids to Swindon.

Scara, have you got a ring pull lead coming out of your back, like Woody from Toy Story? ;)

Haven't heard Ramsey come out with a corker like "I don't like holding midfielders, I was saying to William Gallas when he was here, the worst thing that happened in this league was Claude Makelele", so I'll let him stick around for now.

Ramsey made a bad judgement call throwing his lot in with the Timmeh faction.

He'd've been better pinning his career to coattailing his old boss Alex Inglethorpe.

Haven't heard Ramsey come out with a corker like "I don't like holding midfielders, I was saying to William Gallas when he was here, the worst thing that happened in this league was Claude Makelele", so I'll let him stick around for now.

Yeah. We discussed the full quote a couple of pages back and there was quite a lot of sense in what he was saying but it gets lost when selectively quoted.

When he was U16s coach, he was also assistant to Inglethorpe for the U18s/NextGen.

Not the best source this, but it's taken from an old version of the OS: http://216.119.88.230/forum1/showthread.php?t=12119

Thanks, I've not seen that before (not surprising really).

I still think that you are being a little unfair on saying that Ramsey should have hung onto Inglethorpe's coat tails rather than worked under Sherwood when we don't know anything about their working relationships or how he feels about either of them.

From trying to work out what Sherwood is working towards all I can workout is he wants a 442, but only 1-2 players are good enough to make it really work. If he was to pursue this long term then we would need a massive cash injection to get the right players in, something that we can't afford. We have the players for a 433, so if Sherwood refuses to try to work to his squads stengths then we have an issue. Part of me therefore understands the club looking at Pochettino and De Boer, because their preferred systems would use the squad we have.

For those that keep harping on that Eriksen is in his best position as a left winger/left inside forward, you need to check the games. Even Tim has said that he is best playing in the middle (press release last week) and if you watch our games he is still playing in a number 10 position. The difference for me is that under AVB there was little interchanging of positions between Eriksen at #10 and the two players in the double pivot, he was always in the same area and got marked out of games. Under Sherwood we still play without the interchanging of the #6/#8 and the #10 and instead have two strikers with Eriksen sitting at the point of a weird diamond.

--------Kane---Ade---------
----------Eriksen-----Lennon
-------Paulinho-Chadli-------

Our defensive shape is still aweful and teams still get decent efforts in against us as we leave pockets of space all over the place. Look at how teams like Real and Chelsea have been defending (less so Chelsea because vs Liverpool that was an extreme), when they defend they form two tight banks of players, no space for the David Silva's or Coutinho's of this world to operate in. We are very loose and I'm still suprised that this hasn't been sorted. I don't hold much stock in the "Tim doesn't believe in DM's" theory because he did use them even at U21 level, but even so his refusal to at least try to shore up the midfield is suprising. I do think we are blinded by the fact that the teams we have got in the last 6 games are utter dross and are man for man worse off than us.

As I said I don't think his setup is without merits but our squad isn't made for a 442 and would require an overhaul. As a supporter of this club I'd prefer to see us appoint someone who would be able to get the most from the players we have with 1-2 key buys. Sherwood for me isn't that manager or at least won't be for a few years, but I'm not happy to see us regress just for him to learn his trade and find out that he needs to rethink a few things. Sorry but the club can't afford right now to take this risk.

PS: I have always been open minded towards Sherwood and this here is primarily about his suitability as our coach for the immediate future. I'm not talking about commercial viability of a club with him at the helm, nor his thirst for a fight with someone every week, I'm talking about the evolution of our football and where I think he will take us.

Last edited:

From trying to work out what Sherwood is working towards all I can workout is he wants a 442, but only 1-2 players are good enough to make it really work. If he was to pursue this long term then we would need a massive cash injection to get the right players in, something that we can't afford. We have the players for a 433, so if Sherwood refuses to try to work to his squads stengths then we have an issue. Part of me therefore understands the club looking at Pochettino and De Boer, because their preferred systems would use the squad we have.

For those that keep harping on that Eriksen is in his best position as a left winger/left inside forward, you need to check the games. Even Tim has said that he is best playing in the middle (press release last week) and if you watch our games he is still playing in a number 10 position. The difference for me is that under AVB there was little interchanging of positions between Eriksen at #10 and the two players in the double pivot, he was always in the same area and got marked out of games. Under Sherwood we still play without the interchanging of the #6/#8 and the #10 and instead have two strikers with Eriksen sitting at the point of a weird diamond.

--------Kane---Ade---------
----------Eriksen-----Lennon
-------Paulinho-Chadli-------

Our defensive shape is still aweful and teams still get decent efforts in against us as we leave pockets of space all over the place. Look at how teams like Real and Chelsea have been defending (less so Chelsea because vs Liverpool that was an extreme), when they defend they form two tight banks of players, no space for the David Silva's or Coutinho's of this world to operate in. We are very loose and I'm still suprised that this hasn't been sorted. I don't hold much stock in the "Tim doesn't believe in DM's" theory because he did use them even at U21 level, but even so his refusal to at least try to shore up the midfield is suprising. I do think we are blinded by the fact that the teams we have got in the last 6 games are utter dross and are man for man worse off than us.

As I said I don't think his setup is without merits but our squad isn't made for a 442 and would require an overhaul. As a supporter of this club I'd prefer to see us appoint someone who would be able to get the most from the players we have with 1-2 key buys. Sherwood for me isn't that manager or at least won't be for a few years, but I'm not happy to see us regress just for him to learn his trade and find out that he needs to rethink a few things. Sorry but the club can't afford right now to take this risk.

PS: I have always been open minded towards Sherwood and this here is primarily about his suitability as our coach for the immediate future. I'm not talking about commercial viability of a club with him at the helm, nor his thirst for a fight with someone every week, I'm talking about the evolution of our football and where I think he will take us.

Timmeh goes to bed dreaming of:

-------Kane----Ade

Milner-Parker-Barry-Lennon

Cole-Lescott-Ferdinand-Walker

----------Foster

GB I enjoy your posts but lets be serious here. Sherwood may want to bring in some experienced players and in a way I do agree, but he certainly isn't a manager who would play that side. I may be completely wrong but I do think he has a plan, I just don't think it's one that suits the majority of our players.

Back