• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Temporary Tim

can someone point me to where this is suggested?

"My understanding is that AVB saw the game as a series of explosive attacking spells punctuated by slower recovery periods, in which the team retained control, and rested, through high possession, but not necessarily by attacking. "

Funny how United won the PL last season with it. Rooney and Van P up front. Man C aren't exactly doing too shabby with Aguero and Negredo's, nor Liverpool with Suarez and Sturridge up top.

City play 4231 and as has been pointed out utd didn't play really play 442 as Rooney dropped off

"My understanding is that AVB saw the game as a series of explosive attacking spells punctuated by slower recovery periods, in which the team retained control, and rested, through high possession, but not necessarily by attacking. "

I just said it was my understanding, not that it was a fact. I don't know a lot about tactics so that was just how I'd heard AVB's philosophy described. I could be totally wrong.

City play 4231 and as has been pointed out utd didn't play really play 442 as Rooney dropped off

So, in the 4231 that City play, where do Negredo's and Aguero feature in your mind?

BTW Rooney IS a forward, even if he drops off, as I said earlier.

City play a narrow 442. Utd play a fairly standard 442, Adebayor would drop deep at times just like Rooney does. Atletico play 442. Players move, they're not confined to squares.

City play a narrow 442. Utd play a fairly standard 442, Adebayor would drop deep at times just like Rooney does. Atletico play 442. Players move, they're not confined to squares.

Exactly. So 442 is hardly a "dead formation" which is the point I was making.

Liverpool have been known to play 4-4-2 when sturridge and suarez are fit

You will always have a striker in a 442 that drops off. That does not make it 4-2-3-1.

So, in the 4231 that City play, where do Negredo's and Aguero feature in your mind?

BTW Rooney IS a forward, even if he drops off, as I said earlier.

Rooney hardly ever plays as a forward though, he just assumes a free role regardless of the manager tells him.

You will always have a striker in a 442 that drops off. That does not make it 4-2-3-1.

In terms of positions taken up when attacking 4-4-1-1 can look exactly like 4-2-3-1 and both can revert to 4-5-1 when defending. I think that people read too much into nominal formations and preconceptions about what positions players play rather than the positions actually take up during games.

This board is very cyclical with its topics. I think this got talked to death about a couple of months back with most saying what Milo has said, the formation is just something pundits etc assign to describe the type of players they use and general movement. I think in the case of City, if you looked at a heat map for Aguerro you would see he drops deep all over the place, not just centrally but on the wings too. He basically goes wherever he is needed to provide an outlet for the ball, the same goes for Rooney, Suarez and I'd hazard a guess at Giroud who constantly interchanges with Arsenal attacking midfielders.

This board is very cyclical with its topics. I think this got talked to death about a couple of months back with most saying what Milo has said, the formation is just something pundits etc assign to describe the type of players they use and general movement. I think in the case of City, if you looked at a heat map for Aguerro you would see he drops deep all over the place, not just centrally but on the wings too. He basically goes wherever he is needed to provide an outlet for the ball, the same goes for Rooney, Suarez and I'd hazard a guess at Giroud who constantly interchanges with Arsenal attacking midfielders.

Precisely.

If the next Spurs manager has any sense whatsoever, he'll play his formation and just call it 4-4-2.

It will keep certain sections of our fanbase happy - the rest should be able to see through it for what it is.

Why do you think it isn't? If we agree that we see what AVB wants when it is slow tempo, do you feel he doesn't have a plan to score goals? Or is happy with purely shots from distance?

I'd say the logical conclusion if we have lots of possession in slower tempo periods is that to score we would have to speed up at certain moments.

This season we were toothless whilst controlling large periods of them game through possession around the centre circle and up to the opponents box. There were flashes of creativity and attacking fluidity, but if we are honest they were too few in number and were not entirely threatening. The whole pot shots from distance thing is a result of players not seeing options ahead of them, be it because there aren't any or because they cannot see them, I don't think it was ever the plan but a result of the system failing. Just look at the Bale goals last year, they all came as a result of ineffective, slow buildup play and not enough movement in and around the box to penetrate the oppositions defensive line. We all assumed it was due to the personel but with new players we looked much the same.

The AVB system was about dominating possession and high pressing when out of possession. It was in a way (IMO) a counterattacking philosophy. Counter attacking from one end to the other at break neck speed isn't that successful, usually due to there being few numbers able to keep pace with the attack and the amount of energy expended. If you can win the ball back with many people in the oppositions half only 20 yards from goal you have a better chance of creating a goal, mainly because the other team will be out of position and stretched, but secondly because your own team will not be stretched. This I think is part of AVBs downfall, he focussed on having players who could win the ball back rather than players who could create from scratch and it is also why our passing and movement against teams was so poor.

I think we should at least opt for Sherwood until the end of the season now as he's someone who has at least been at the club for the last year and a half. There was enough on Wednesday to suggest he certainly has been paying attention in that time! Then we can re-evaluate.

I think we should at least opt for Sherwood until the end of the season now as he's someone who has at least been at the club for the last year and a half. There was enough on Wednesday to suggest he certainly has been paying attention in that time! Then we can re-evaluate.

And drawn all the wrong conclusions IMO.

And drawn all the wrong conclusions IMO.

Really? Bringing Ade back in was the wrong conclusion? MOM for me. We've desperately missed having someone up front in his mould.

Considering the circumstances and the fact we were up against a team and manager who had us well and truly sussed us a couple of months back, I think it was the home performance of the season. Only Norwich comes close and they played it all wrong against us. If we carry on in that vain that we'll get results.

I don't give a f uck what you call it. The teams that are playing 2 strikers are top 2 and United won the League last year with 2 strikers.

We even have people on here suggesting that Ade is a midfielder.

A rose (not Danny) by any other name etc..

Back