• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

But Glen Hoddle....ledge that he is did call Beckham out! he blamed our exit on him.

The same Glenn who thinks tim should have reined his neck in. I love Glenn but kettles and pots and the colour black and all that.

Glenn was just playing "I told you so" with the press.

He said before the world cup that Beckham wasn't mature enough for the pressure, they made a big deal out of it and forced his hand. Beckham proved Hoddle right.

What proportion of football managers would you describe as dishonest? They all strike me as pretty honest (except the likes of Redknapp) - in fact, honesty is a fairly important trait in being a successful manager in any walk of life. How do you reconcile the success of others with a lack of honesty?

Mourhino - dishonest...talker of bull.

Wenger - Dishonest...about dropping Girouid recently. pulled the wool over their fans for years.

Moyes - excuse maker

Martinez is very honest wouldnt trust Brendan though.

Nigeyman I agree with your sentiment that honesty in a manager is better than bs. But DeanoAustin is right - like it or not managers will respect a manager who doesn't publicly rant about his team than one who does it behind closed doors.

If you alienate the players your f'ed as a manager. It's a risky strategy for any manager but especially an inexperienced one.

Tbh I think Tims on a no win now - the players don't seem to give a crap, decisions are going against us, the press are waiting for him to fail (makes for good new) as are a fair few fans. Injuries are decimating any chance of consistency week in week out- March could turn out to be a total catastrophe.

Levys support means f'all, we know he can't resist doing a deal and is mesmerised by finding that one manager to turn us into CL regulars, but Tim's called him rightly on that- we are kidding ourselves if we think we are close to that, there's a lot if hard work and reshapin the team needed again.

Glenn was just playing "I told you so" with the press.

He said before the world cup that Beckham wasn't mature enough for the pressure, they made a big deal out of it and forced his hand. Beckham proved Hoddle right.

so Tims actions who didnt name names are worse. ?

Glenn slammed him on tv....if Beckham was a lesser man it could have finished his england career.

Surely we'll know because they're the ones who get dropped?

If he doesn't drop them then clearly they're not as untrustworthy as he has suggested and he was just whining/deflecting blame from himself (delete as applicable).

This is absolutely a key point. I would expect the ones he cannot rely on not to be picked for a while/until they 're-prove' themselves…wondering if our defensive issues will give him that chance in the next 2 games, but yes, if he's true to word he'll play ressies rather than 'wasters' as he views people.

Am I the only one who finds this whole situation in the media "poor old Tim" absolutely ridiculous?? Now I'm in two minds about whether or not he did the right thing by publicly shaming the players like he did but i am 100% behind the man because you can see that he hates losing and is passionate about the club. Now this could be because he views the performance as a reflection upon himself which it is to some extent (he set us up to get a point), but the players did fall apart out there and he cannot be at fault for that.

What does annoy me though is that the same journalists who say that the club should not be talking about top four as some form of divine right are also talking about Sherwood keeping his job as if it is his divine right. Both Sherwood and the journo's like to harp on about the time Liverpool gave Rodgers, but imo they are a completely different situation. Firstly Rodgers had four years of senior management under his belt including two seasons in the Premier League, he had his Swansea team playing a recognisable style of football and they were able to play other teams off the park. He also spent years working under top managers at Chelsea as both an assistant and the reserve team coach.

Now lets look at Sherwood's credentials, he has none of the above. Let's be brutally honest, had the club employed a foreign manager with the same credentials as Sherwood the media wouldn't be on his side like they are Sherwood's and they certainly wouldn't have been questionning Daniel Levy. The subject of the foreign manager angers the media etc, but it's not a case of us taking an unknown foreign manager over Sherwood it's a case of taking someone with a track record who can do something with the squad we already have.

Tim Sherwood is the great white hope to English football and a Messiah to the journalists. For them he is the real deal because finally they have a young English coach who has been given a job in the top league (albeit on a short contract) and as such Spurs have absolutely no right to sack him at the end of the season. Like a few on here I do like the bloke but I also think with my head and for us to employ this man on a long contract is a damn big gamble. I hope that people don't get brainwashed by the press into thinking that Sherwood really is entitled to this position. I'd love to be proven wrong but at this moment in time we have a bigger chance of seeing him fail than succeed.

Daniel Levy should take some stick for many things, but not employing a rookie manager on a long contract isn't one of them.

so Tims actions who didnt name names are worse. ?

Glenn slammed him on tv....if Beckham was a lesser man it could have finished his england career.

Hoddle is known for being a terrible man manager.

How many games did Hoddle have as England boss after ****ging Beckham off like that and in how many of those was Beckham outstanding?

I hope that people don't get brainwashed by the press

fair enough.

Under no circumstances do I think Sherwood is entitled to this position. He has to earn his corn like everyone else. I dont think I am brainwashed but I have seen good things and I respect him for being candid I really do.

I appreciate he has stepped in and done his best.

and as for the players again I really dont care if they love/hate him... in fact if they hate him but that drags a bit more out of them then fair do's... we have all been told by someone at some stage were sh** at something...it makes us hate that person but perhaps we dont realise they are being cruel to be kind...or perhaps we dont realise its the motivation we need to kick on... perhaps it takes time for the individual to realise this.

If he had singled out individuals then yes....I would be on here writing it was a scummy thing to do....that would have been unprofessional and should be done behind closed doors.

Hoddle is known for being a terrible man manager.

How many games did Hoddle have as England boss after ****ging Beckham off like that and in how many of those was Beckham outstanding?

not many because he came out with the whole reincarnation/disabled people business...

The Fa feeling his position was untenable sacked him in feb 99 I think.

not many because he came out with the whole reincarnation/disabled people business...

The Fa feeling his position was untenable sacked him in feb 99 I think.

The team wasn't doing too well either at that point iirc.

Nigeyman I'm not saying anyone here is being brainwashed, you have always argued logically. My general complaint is that the media seem to be putting him on a pedal stool and cramming the view that "he really is an awesome coach" down peoples throats and that he will be as good as Rodgers if given time. It galls me that Sherwood himself makes that comparison when he has none of the track record that Rodgers had prior to Liverpool.

The media are on a pro Sherwood offensive and I know a few fans IRL who are completely taken in by whatever the media choose to pedal.

read on here earlier as well about Redknapp wouldnt do this sort of thing.

Yes im sure Darren Bent might have something to say about that.

This is absolutely a key point. I would expect the ones he cannot rely on not to be picked for a while/until they 're-prove' themselves…wondering if our defensive issues will give him that chance in the next 2 games, but yes, if he's true to word he'll play ressies rather than 'wasters' as he views people.

I doubt it. I think it was his way of getting them to step up to the plate. I doubt that he has told any of the players that he does not trust them or would want them to know. By creating a question of doubt, I think that he thinks that they will want to prove him wrong.

I think that it needed saying and that the reaction is largely down to who said it and not what was said.

Nigeyman I'm not saying anyone here is being brainwashed, you have always argued logically. My general complaint is that the media seem to be putting him on a pedal stool and cramming the view that "he really is an awesome coach" down peoples throats and that he will be as good as Rodgers if given time. It galls me that Sherwood himself makes that comparison when he has none of the track record that Rodgers had prior to Liverpool.

The media are on a pro Sherwood offensive and I know a few fans IRL who are completely taken in by whatever the media choose to pedal.

very good point....in fact I agree Sherwood making that statement could be seen as the actions of a desperate man fighting for his job.

however the fact remains there were plently of pool fans ready to jack Brendan in...now they are playing excellent football. The press have their agenda's I agree. Though you have to agree Sherwood has done ok considering the Circus of how our club is run....Big name manager linked every other day....

There are no guarentees....we could waste years with sherwood at the helm...he could be the man we need. There are no absolutes.

But do I think he should be hanged for having a pop at our squad publicly??? no I dont.

What proportion of football managers would you describe as dishonest? They all strike me as pretty honest (except the likes of Redknapp) - in fact, honesty is a fairly important trait in being a successful manager in any walk of life. How do you reconcile the success of others with a lack of honesty?

Of the top of my head?

Mourinho
Wenger
AVB
Redknapp
Pardew

Oh I agree with you, I think the team need to know quite how poor they were and if Sherwood feels he needs to get personal with them in order to drag some sort of fighting spirit out of them then so be it. I support the man, but as a coach I am still unsure as I have yet to see enough of him. My main moan is really all to do with the media situation.

I doubt it. I think it was his way of getting them to step up to the plate. I doubt that he has told any of the players that he does not trust them or would want them to know. By creating a question of doubt, I think that he thinks that they will want to prove him wrong.

I think that it needed saying and that the reaction is largely down to who said it and not what was said.

We shall see if it works...I hope the reaction is positive and I suspect you're right. They have a great chance of instant redemption. I wonder if they're 'big' enough to take it...

Back