• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Thomas Lemar

No, not because of one season but because of the last few and how the immediate future looks for both clubs - Arsenal under Wenger are finished as a force in English football and have been for some time, once he does the right thing and hands over the reigns to someone else they'll have a good few years of uncertainty and probable under performance too.
You have no idea whether Arsenal are a finished force, one bad season (which would still of been a semi decent season by our standards) doesn't mean that at all - it could be the wake up call they need. In the last few seasons they've won the FA Cup three times and finished ahead of us every season bar the last one, so take those rose tinted glasses off - they are a bigger name than Spurs for players right now, despite our upward curve.....

You have no idea whether Arsenal are a finished force, one bad season (which would still of been a semi decent season by our standards) doesn't mean that at all - it could be the wake up call they need. In the last few seasons they've won the FA Cup three times and finished ahead of us every season bar the last one, so take those rose tinted glasses off - they are a bigger name than Spurs for players right now, despite our upward curve.....

What's the opposite of rose tinted glasses? Because I think you're wearing them ;)

We're a level above Arsenal right now on the pitch, have a settled squad and a first XI we couldn't improve even if we had twice the money they have to spend - they have a lot of rebuilding to do squad/first XI wise and a manager their fans will be screaming to leave after their first bad result - money being equal any player would be mad to choose them over us at this point in time.

Edit
It isn't one bad season btw - last season was exactly the same as their last 5/6/7 - only now there are more teams competing at the top end with good managers and money to burn so they have been passed by

What's the opposite of rose tinted glasses? Because I think you're wearing them ;)

We're a level above Arsenal right now on the pitch, have a settled squad and a first XI we couldn't improve even if we had twice the money they have to spend - they have a lot of rebuilding to do squad/first XI wise and a manager their fans will be screaming to leave after their first bad result - money being equal any player would be mad to choose them over us at this point in time.

Edit
It isn't one bad season btw - last season was exactly the same as their last 5/6/7 - only now there are more teams competing at the top end with good managers and money to burn so they have been passed by

Think you mean brick smeared goggles

Yet even Ian wright said players would see us as the better option

He is a club legend for them

He didn't like saying it
So? He was asked on the spot and couldnt think of a counter argument, hes not exactly the most articulate is he.

Point is,if you think the only feasible argument for a player picking Arsenal ahead of Spurs is because of money then you are either overvaluing Spurs pedigree or undervaluing Arsenals and I can see why many fans of other teams say the reason they dont like Spurs is because they think theyre better than they are when theyve won naff all for years. Hard not argue against that reading some of this....

Indeed, however there are still SOME fans who think we should throw tens of millions at players because we should and if we do not we are not showing ambition. Thankfully the number of those fans who used to berate Levy after every window for being tight are rapidly decreasing.

No one cares how much we spend, it's who we spend it on.

So? He was asked on the spot and couldnt think of a counter argument, hes not exactly the most articulate is he.

Point is,if you think the only feasible argument for a player picking Arsenal ahead of Spurs is because of money then you are either overvaluing Spurs pedigree or undervaluing Arsenals and I can see why many fans of other teams say the reason they dont like Spurs is because they think theyre better than they are when theyve won naff all for years. Hard not argue against that reading some of this....

Several posts in to this and you haven't really explained why you think Arsenal would be a better choice than we would be right now for a player - be interesting to hear your thinking on the matter.

Do you think they have more potential than us to succeed over say the next three or four years? (A length of time I'd imagine players think about when signing for a club)

I get that they are a bigger name than us and if they were in a stronger position in the league looking forwards would obviously be a bigger draw for players because of that but right now they aren't and if the 'name' of a club was all that important then Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea wouldn't have bought the players they did when trying to establish themselves when their new owners arrived. On the pitch ido probably rank them as the lowest of the top six and think it's going to get worse before it gets better for them.

Last edited:
="billyiddo, post: 934869, member: 275"]Several posts in to this and you haven't really explained why you think Arsenal would be a better choice than we would be right now for a player - be interesting to hear your thinking on the matter.

Do you think they have more potential than us to succeed over say the next three or four years? (A length of time I'd imagine players think about when signing for a club)

I get that they are a bigger name than us and if they were in a stronger position in the league looking forwards would obviously be a bigger draw for players because of that but right now they aren't and if the 'name' of a club was all that important then Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea wouldn't have bought the players they did when trying to establish themselves when their new owners arrived. On the pitch ido probably rank them as the lowest of the top six and think it's going to get worse before it gets better for them.
Well I cant answer that because I never said I think Arsenal would be a better choice for a player. I would like to think in the coming few years Spurs continue on an upward trajectory and win things etc. But this is about a players perspective and I said most players would still consider Arsenal a better choice for very simple reasons - In recent history they have been more successful both domestically and in Europe, and have a coach renowned for developing young players (yes Im well aware Poch has too, but considering the player is French this is relevant here). Just because we actually finished ahead of Arsenal for once, that doesnt make us a better team or more attractive prospect than them all of a sudden. Leicester won the league last season, did that mean they were then a more attractive team than us and able to attract players ahead of us? I think not.....

As said before mate I'm not basing anything on one season so your Leicester comparison is moot I'm afraid - it's a weighing up of the whole package, we're in a much better position than them looking at the next few years and if we're talking about from a players perspective have a think back to the reputation of both clubs over the past couple of years - one club very much seen as on the up with fantastic potential often spoke about as the best team in the country and the other displayed as a club in turmoil and at times a bit of a laughing stock (the whole AFTV/Wenger out situation + continual failure in europe anytime they face a good team) so from an outsiders perspective I think I'd have to question why Arsenal would be seen as a better place to play for the next couple of years or so...

Lemar is not going to either us or Scum ..

His club has made enough money of other player sales they don't need to sell, and he's good enough that he will have bigger options if he decided to move.

Guess we will see with this guy.

My really

If they offer to pay more for him than we do then we don't get him... if they offer him £150k a week and we offer £80k then he will go there

Who knows if we're really after him to be fair, but he is exactly the kind of player we should be

Ian Wright even put it in writing

Henry almost said it himself at WHL on the last day of the season

The Arsenal fans I was talking too tonight playing football even said why would anyone go there with Wenger in charge... their words.

Players are very fickle and it's a short career. They move for money most of the time unless it's to a mega club and their is only one of them in our league.

Ian Wright even put it in writing

Henry almost said it himself at WHL on the last day of the season

The Arsenal fans I was talking too tonight playing football even said why would anyone go there with Wenger in charge... their words.

Players are very fickle and it's a short career. They move for money most of the time unless it's to a mega club and their is only one of them in our league.

I don't think L'arse will have any difficulty signing top talent. They obviously have a significant war chest and Wenger knows he is in last chance saloon and so will spend whatever it takes to get the players he wants. In a straight race between us and the Scum, we would undoubtedly lose out on this ground alone as we wouldn't be able to compete with them financially.

In addition, if I was in the players position, even setting aside the financial aspects, I would consider the likelihood that I would get straight in to Arsenal's first team much greater than getting a first team berth at Spurs.

Of course, but already Ive read a few posts on here about how a player would only pick Arsenal ahead of Spurs only because of the money. We have finished ahead of them for one season in GHod knows how many years, they have got CL season in season out and have a top rated coach, especially in France. Lets not get above our station....

Absolutely not. You have not read that from me mate. I made a very specific reference to this specific situation. That's one I will wear ...

Let me be blunter.
Lemar's career as a player would be greatly improved by our coaching staff over Arsenal's right now. Our squad proves what we do for young talent. Lemar's bank balance would be greatly improved at Arsenal, plus they have had pedigree in the past but are closing in on the end of a managerial era.

Back