• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

This boards view on *alleged* racist behaviour

I’m sure the police, club and press will be forensically looking at every image.

What if they find nothing?

Share the full details of the investigation with Chelsea, show them the CCTV footage, let them listen to the audio - and ideally have them confirm our findings (although they might not want to go that far).
Then the club would need to put a hell of a lot of thought into how they word whatever statement they put out. We don't want accusations of sweeping anything under the carpet.

Share the full details of the investigation with Chelsea, show them the CCTV footage, let them listen to the audio - and ideally have them confirm our findings (although they might not want to go that far).
Then the club would need to put a hell of a lot of thought into how they word whatever statement they put out. We don't want accusations of sweeping anything under the carpet.

Yeah it's a very tough one now and I think the club is in a no-win position. I don't see the player retracting the claim ("I know what I heard") and if the club issues a statement saying they've found nothing, they'll be pilloried in the media. My guess is that unless the club can pinpoint and punish any perpetrators, nothing public will come of the investigation.

I see Downing Street is issuing a statement now. Great, that's happening in reaction to Gary Neville yesterday.

Not saying this sort of thing shouldn't be highlighted and condemned by everyone but I get the sense the statement is really a shot back at Neville's words rather than about the incident itself. Meanwhile, we're the subject of racism allegations when Boris decides he needs some good PR. And all the while, there still isn't any evidence yet that it actually happened.

I see Downing Street is issuing a statement now. Great, that's happening in reaction to Gary Neville yesterday.

Not saying this sort of thing shouldn't be highlighted and condemned by everyone but I get the sense the statement is really a shot back at Neville's words rather than about the incident itself. Meanwhile, we're the subject of racism allegations when Boris decides he needs some good PR. And all the while, there still isn't any evidence yet that it actually happened.

I'd say that's totally what it is. Otherwise where are the statements from other incidents, such as at the Manchester derby? And in relation to the latter, why wasn't the 'protocol' invoked there?

Yeah it's a very tough one now and I think the club is in a no-win position. I don't see the player retracting the claim ("I know what I heard") and if the club issues a statement saying they've found nothing, they'll be pilloried in the media. My guess is that unless the club can pinpoint and punish any perpetrators, nothing public will come of the investigation.
Nothing will come of it and we'll be remembered as the club that did a racist against Chelsea, even though there's no evidence other than the (malicious or mistaken) claims of one player.

Considering Vertonghen has come out and said a stand is needed to be taken against our fans, it is pretty obvious him and/or some of the players heard something. To suggest a player just made it up is embarrassing.....

How would Vertonghen have heard it from the other end of the pitch? Seems much more to me like entirely predictably what you would expect any player to say when questioned about racism in football.

In fact considering Zouma and Tomori would also be sensitive to such chants, and presumably targeted like Rudiger, I think its interesting he is the only one to come forward with complaints.

Im not saying it didnt happen, or even that he made it up - but I think its fair to let the investigation run its course and prove things one way or another before condemning people.

Its entirely possible no racist chant was made, but Rudiger misheard something as racist. An honest mistake.

Equally its entirely possible racist chanting was made, (given no other on pitch witnesses Ill assume then it was only 1 or few people) and those culpable get booted. Perma-banned from football, and even evidence passed to the police to pursue if deemed necessary (or sufficient?)

I think the point is, until we KNOW for sure, the reaction so far is somewhat OTT.

I dont believe there is anyone here looking to justify racism in any way shape or form, rather lets not fire up the lynch mob until we know exactly what happened.

Serious question (that only a black man could answer)
Guy behind me and to the side said at the game it’s unusual to see a team with a whole defence that were black lads. Is that a racist comment ? He didn’t say it any negative connotation but the fact he lighted it ma6 be deemed to be negative ... I don’t know ‍♂️

I wouldn't personally see this as racism but I would consider it a slightly strange thing to even be thinking about or pointing out, especially in a context where black players are not exactly rare in our league.

If the entire defence was comprised of Bangladeshi players or Chinese players, I'd find that far more interesting and worth pointing out as a relative rarity from regions of the world that don't produce any top players.

I wouldn't personally see this as racism but I would consider it a slightly strange thing to even be thinking about or pointing out, especially in a context where black players are not exactly rare in our league.

If the entire defence was comprised of Bangladeshi players or Chinese players, I'd find that far more interesting and worth pointing out as a relative rarity from regions of the world that don't produce any top players.
Hence my question

Hence my question

I've had it before at work, with patients pointing out that the entire team of doctors is 'not British' if poorly worded or pointing out that its very interesting that all the doctors have different backgrounds.

There may well be malicious intent but it is almost always said with a smile and genuine interest I believe, rather than any attempt to other or intimidate etc.

I find it unnecessary and weird to point out but I don't think people usually mean anything aggressive with it.

The question of whether we should be educating people against making such comments in the first place is a different one altogether in my opinion.

I've had it before at work, with patients pointing out that the entire team of doctors is 'not British' if poorly worded or pointing out that its very interesting that all the doctors have different backgrounds.

There may well be malicious intent but it is almost always said with a smile and genuine interest I believe, rather than any attempt to other or intimidate etc.

I find it unnecessary and weird to point out but I don't think people usually mean anything aggressive with it.

The question of whether we should be educating people against making such comments in the first place is a different one altogether in my opinion.
The guy didn’t mean it in any negative way I believe
It was just odd

Doesnt seem malicious, to me, rather observational. Though possibly inappropriate all the same.

As you mention above about Asian players - Ive been trying to think. Can I name an all-black defense or midfield unit? And at the moment I just cant come up with one, so perhaps it is quite unusual after all?

For example:
Chelsea 05-06 had Makelele, Essien, Diarra, Geremi and Shaun Wright-Phillips in the squad listed as midfielders, its the first (and only so far) that comes to mind as likely fielding an all-black midfield.

Doesnt seem malicious, to me, rather observational. Though possibly inappropriate all the same.

As you mention above about Asian players - Ive been trying to think. Can I name an all-black defense or midfield unit? And at the moment I just cant come up with one, so perhaps it is quite unusual after all?

Indeed, I can only remember one time when someone said it with a clear malicious intent, after the Brexit vote when he told the multi national team of nurses and doctors treating his imminently life threatening condition that 'we'd voted for Brexit so you guys can go home' with a stupid smile on his face. What a prick.

I wouldn't be able to name one myself but to be honest, I could barely name you our line up last week, let alone whether there have been any all black sections of the team at any point.

As you've pointed out, Chelsea or Arsenal would probably be the best bets if I had to guess a team that might have had one. Or a random one managed by a bruiser manager like Allardyce or Dyche at some point.

Of course, if he is so inclined, he is welcome to watch the ANC, where he will see many all black midfields and defences. :D

Nothing will come of it and we'll be remembered as the club that did a racist against Chelsea, even though there's no evidence other than the (malicious or mistaken) claims of one player.

Mud sticks, unfortunately. I have a long standing friend with whom I tend to avoid football-related discussion these days, because he views us as the supporters that frequently racially abused Sol Campbell.

Back