• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished 5-1.

Loft, Stylianides, Owens, Sterling and Shashoua with the goals. Shashoua doesn't get as much attention as Edwards but he's a similar kind of player, his younger brother is in the u15s too.

Finished 5-1.

Loft, Stylianides, Owens, Sterling and Shashoua with the goals. Shashoua doesn't get as much attention as Edwards but he's a similar kind of player, his younger brother is in the u15s too.
I've understood you have a lot of knowledge about our youth set up, Yoof. Could you tell me/us a little about the current U18 squad and the even younger players coming in?
Love us giving them a chance to shine, and it would be even better if we in the future could have a senior squad with 5 - maybe 10 (I know, it's a lot) players brought up from our own youth teams.

I've understood you have a lot of knowledge about our youth set up, Yoof. Could you tell me/us a little about the current U18 squad and the even younger players coming in?
Love us giving them a chance to shine, and it would be even better if we in the future could have a senior squad with 5 - maybe 10 (I know, it's a lot) players brought up from our own youth teams.

Ok so the u18s are a combination of 1st year(16-17 year olds) and 2nd year(17-18 year olds) players, each group typically has 14-15 kids. The better/more developed 2nd year players move up to the u21s with the rest staying in the u18s, although those who have moved up to u21s will typically still take part in the u18 FA Youth Cup, that's really the only competition in any of the age groups that we specifically try to win, in England there aren't even any league tables until you get to the u18s. It doesn't necessarily mean those 2nd year players who are still with the u18s aren't any good though as kids all develop at different rates.

1st year
Brandon Austin - GK
Alfie Whiteman - GK
Jaden Brown - CB/LB
Joy Mukena - CB
Japhet Tanganga - CB
Nick Tsaoulla - LB
Keanan Bennetts - RW/AM
George Marsh - DM
Dylan Duncan - CM
Jack Roles - CM
Sam Shashoua - AM
Marcus Edwards - AM
Kazaiah Sterling - LW/ST
Aramide Oteh - ST

2nd year
Thomas McDermott - GK
Joe Muscatt - LB
Chris Paul - RB
Armani Daly - RW
Charlie Hayford - CM
Charlie Owens - CM
Zenon Stylianides - CM
Ryan Loft - ST

2nd years moved up to u21s
Thomas Glover - GK
Cameron Carter-Vickers - CB
Christian Maghoma - CB
Ismail Azzaoui - LW

I'd be lying if I said I was an expert on them all as even if you go to the training ground, Spurs don't allow spectators for the u16s and below. I've seen footage of some from overseas tours as well as videos the FA put out but a lot of it is based on hear say from those more in the know.

Marcus Edwards is the most talked about player there, he's the biggest talent in his age group in the country(and quite possibly further afield). He was England's star player at the u17 Euros despite being a year younger than most there and had there been a player of the tournament award then he would've been in the discussion. He's a diminutive playmaker with a low centre of gravity, exceptional control, vision, dribbling ability as well as the pace to take him away from defenders. As we know there's no such thing as a sure bet but if he doesn't make it then I'd be amazed, he needs work physically for sure but if he continues on his current trajectory then we could have a star player on our hands.

Kazaiah Sterling is another who is highly thought of who splits game time between left forward and striker. He's bigger than Edwards and physically more developed so he can handle himself better against bigger/older opponents, a quick and intelligent player with decent finishing ability. For some reason he didn't make England's u17 squad for the Euros but with the World Cup coming up he has a chance to put himself in the picture, he's a very talented kid and one to watch out for.

Sam Shashoua is in the same mould as Edwards and we'd probably hear a lot more about him if Edwards wasn't getting all the attention. If you saw him in a game you'd probably think he was about 13, this is a common theme with our academy, on average we'll pretty much always have the smaller team. A very skillful player and he's often amongst the goals, he made one 15 minute appearance for the u18s last season and picked up a goal as well as an assist.

Jack Roles I've seen clips of and when I say clips I just mean goals as he's scored a lot of them. Despite being a central midfielder, he managed to score 25 from that position as an u16 last season, it will be interesting to see if he can continue that for the u18s.

Keanan Bennetts was an England u16 regular and scored in the final of the Montaigu Tournament(bit like a World Cup) when they beat France 3-1, the goal he scored(and it was a tidy one from what I remember) is the only thing I've seen of him but he's another who gets talked about quite a bit, he's just been called up to England u17s.

Tanganga was one who has always been talked about a lot and was always a regular in England age groups but it seems to have gone quiet lately on that front, I'm not sure if he's had injuries or anything but it's actually Brown who I've heard a lot more about lately since he's started playing more as a CB and has just been called up to the England u17 squad.

Of the 2nd years, Owens is a big aggressive CM with decent passing ability and Stylianides is very capable technically but hasn't really found a position yet, he's one who ends up getting moved all over the place where there's a gap. Loft is a physical target man type and acts as a good foil for the little'uns to play off.

There was one other player in today's u18 squad and that was 15 year old Tashan Oakley-Boothe, for him to be straight in there on day one would back up how highly rated he is, though I can't tell you a great deal abot him other than knowing he's a CM. Other u16s who could make appearances at u18 level this season are Oliver Skipp, Nya Kirby, TJ Eyoma and Elliot Thorpe so they're some names to look out for.

You've probably read/heard about those moving up to the u21s so I won't get into them, though naturally they're ones I've seen more of so if you'd like me to I will.

You've probably read/heard about those moving up to the u21s so I won't get into them, though naturally they're ones I've seen more of so if you'd like me to I will.[/QUOTE]
Thanks a lot, Yoof, a very good read:)
I watched CCV this summer in the U20 World Cup, and he impressed me a lot. I've also noticed that Azzaoui is highly rated, but haven't had the chance to watch him. Do you think he will be in or around the squad for the Europa League this season, or is it too early?

Thanks a lot, Yoof, a very good read:)
I watched CCV this summer in the U20 World Cup, and he impressed me a lot. I've also noticed that Azzaoui is highly rated, but haven't had the chance to watch him. Do you think he will be in or around the squad for the Europa League this season, or is it too early?

Too early I would say. Azzaoui has a lot of ability but he's a very immature player, he can grate at times when it's not going for him, a full year of u21s this season and then I suspect we'll look at a loan. He's quite similar in playing style to Chadli but a bit more direct, Chadli I find to be annoyingly timid given his size, Azzaoui is smaller but goes for the kill more. As I mentioned above with Edwards being one of the best players at the u17 Euros, there were probably four players in that discussion and Azzaoui was also one of them, so for us to have two of the four stand out players is pretty good going, especially when they were the only two we had there.

Glover could be the keeper we've been waiting for the Spurs academy to produce, he's 17 and already 6'4-6'5 whilst being very commanding and vocal. You can see that he's been training with Hugo too as he's also quick off his line, I do find it difficult to judge keepers but I think he has a lot of potential. Maghoma I'm not so sure on, he doesn't look as assured defensively or with the ball as CCV.

Too early I would say. Azzaoui has a lot of ability but he's a very immature player, he can grate at times when it's not going for him, a full year of u21s this season and then I suspect we'll look at a loan. He's quite similar in playing style to Chadli but a bit more direct, Chadli I find to be annoyingly timid given his size, Azzaoui is smaller but goes for the kill more. As I mentioned above with Edwards being one of the best players at the u17 Euros, there were probably four players in that discussion and Azzaoui was also one of them, so for us to have two of the four stand out players is pretty good going, especially when they were the only two we had there.

Glover could be the keeper we've been waiting for the Spurs academy to produce, he's 17 and already 6'4-6'5 whilst being very commanding and vocal. You can see that he's been training with Hugo too as he's also quick off his line, I do find it difficult to judge keepers but I think he has a lot of potential. Maghoma I'm not so sure on, he doesn't look as assured defensively or with the ball as CCV.

Glover could be the keeper ...

Like it!

Azzaoui lacks a little physically at the moment - as you would expect for one so young. So I don't think he'll be given any time in the first team this season. I'd be surprised if he was sent on loan too. As you say, he's probably not mentally ready yet either. But I wouldn't say that he plays like Chadli. He's a lot less powerful and a lot more skilful, IMO. Seems to enjoy taking opposition players on, one on one, in a way that Chadli hardly ever does. Probably because he has much more ability than Chadli in that respect. Certainly, he's among the most exciting of our current, exciting academy crop.

Glover - agreed. As you say, so hard to tell with keepers at this age but he certainly has the physique for it.

As to Mahogma, I think it's a little unfair to compare him to 2CV. It would be a little unfair to compare any young centre back to 2CV! In any other academy set up, I believe that Maghoma would be considered to be an outstanding defensive prospect. The coaches would be very excited about him. It's only at Spurs where his light pales by comparison. I think he could become a very good centre back at senior level. Again, certainly has the physique for it. And no little ability.

He needs a full year of first team competitive football under his belt after last year's injury-curtailed season. I'd have thought he could have got a slightly better team to take him, but I guess Leeds have decided to make him part of their first team plans; better to get plenty of game time with them, rather than go into rotation at Brentford.

I wish him all the best this year; I still think he could be a Spurs first team player in a few years. Guess we're condemned to watching some Leeds games this season... really not my favourite team.

He needs a full year of first team competitive football under his belt after last year's injury-curtailed season. I'd have thought he could have got a slightly better team to take him, but I guess Leeds have decided to make him part of their first team plans; better to get plenty of game time with them, rather than go into rotation at Brentford.

I wish him all the best this year; I still think he could be a Spurs first team player in a few years. Guess we're condemned to watching some Leeds games this season... really not my favourite team.

It'll be interesting to see whether he ends up playing CB or DM, if I had to guess then probably the latter. Windy said Poch doesn't rate him but I think it may be more a case of Veljkovic's style not suiting what Poch wants. You read posts on this forum about us needing a DM to sit, protect, read the game, pick up runs and move the ball efficiently, well that's exactly what Veljkovic does. He's not the high energy, all over the pitch combative type player which seems to be what Poch looks for though. Hope he does well at Leeds(if he goes there) and as you say, remains injury-free this time.

Ok so the u18s are a combination of 1st year(16-17 year olds) and 2nd year(17-18 year olds) players, each group typically has 14-15 kids. The better/more developed 2nd year players move up to the u21s with the rest staying in the u18s, although those who have moved up to u21s will typically still take part in the u18 FA Youth Cup, that's really the only competition in any of the age groups that we specifically try to win, in England there aren't even any league tables until you get to the u18s. It doesn't necessarily mean those 2nd year players who are still with the u18s aren't any good though as kids all develop at different rates.

1st year

2nd year

2nd years moved up to u21s

I'd be lying if I said I was an expert on them all as even if you go to the training ground, Spurs don't allow spectators for the u16s and below. I've seen footage of some from overseas tours as well as videos the FA put out but a lot of it is based on hear say from those more in the know.

Marcus Edwards is the most talked about player there, he's the biggest talent in his age group in the country(and quite possibly further afield). He was England's star player at the u17 Euros despite being a year younger than most there and had there been a player of the tournament award then he would've been in the discussion. He's a diminutive playmaker with a low centre of gravity, exceptional control, vision, dribbling ability as well as the pace to take him away from defenders. As we know there's no such thing as a sure bet but if he doesn't make it then I'd be amazed, he needs work physically for sure but if he continues on his current trajectory then we could have a star player on our hands.

Kazaiah Sterling is another who is highly thought of who splits game time between left forward and striker. He's bigger than Edwards and physically more developed so he can handle himself better against bigger/older opponents, a quick and intelligent player with decent finishing ability. For some reason he didn't make England's u17 squad for the Euros but with the World Cup coming up he has a chance to put himself in the picture, he's a very talented kid and one to watch out for.

Sam Shashoua is in the same mould as Edwards and we'd probably hear a lot more about him if Edwards wasn't getting all the attention. If you saw him in a game you'd probably think he was about 13, this is a common theme with our academy, on average we'll pretty much always have the smaller team. A very skillful player and he's often amongst the goals, he made one 15 minute appearance for the u18s last season and picked up a goal as well as an assist.

Jack Roles I've seen clips of and when I say clips I just mean goals as he's scored a lot of them. Despite being a central midfielder, he managed to score 25 from that position as an u16 last season, it will be interesting to see if he can continue that for the u18s.

Keanan Bennetts was an England u16 regular and scored in the final of the Montaigu Tournament(bit like a World Cup) when they beat France 3-1, the goal he scored(and it was a tidy one from what I remember) is the only thing I've seen of him but he's another who gets talked about quite a bit, he's just been called up to England u17s.

Tanganga was one who has always been talked about a lot and was always a regular in England age groups but it seems to have gone quiet lately on that front, I'm not sure if he's had injuries or anything but it's actually Brown who I've heard a lot more about lately since he's started playing more as a CB and has just been called up to the England u17 squad.

Of the 2nd years, Owens is a big aggressive CM with decent passing ability and Stylianides is very capable technically but hasn't really found a position yet, he's one who ends up getting moved all over the place where there's a gap. Loft is a physical target man type and acts as a good foil for the little'uns to play off.

There was one other player in today's u18 squad and that was 15 year old Tashan Oakley-Boothe, for him to be straight in there on day one would back up how highly rated he is, though I can't tell you a great deal abot him other than knowing he's a CM. Other u16s who could make appearances at u18 level this season are Oliver Skipp, Nya Kirby, TJ Eyoma and Elliot Thorpe so they're some names to look out for.

You've probably read/heard about those moving up to the u21s so I won't get into them, though naturally they're ones I've seen more of so if you'd like me to I will.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about this. Really fantastic to know that we have a good bunch of youngsters to come through. Long may it continue!

Lloris
KWP Ball CCV Ogilvie
Lesniak Pritchard
Harrison Azzaoui Oduwa
Coulthirst

subs: Voss, Maghoma, Amos, Sonupe, McEvoy​

Pritchard would be good to have at least on the bench on Saturday. I dont see that we need Wimmer on teh bench if Dier is in the team, so adding Pritchard gives us another option alongside Alli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back