• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2014-2015

Great that we appear to have some really exciting players coming through the academy, in addition to the likes of Bentaleb, Mason, Prtichard, Kane, Townsend, Carroll etc who've come through in the last couple years.

And, as importantly, we have a manager who wil use them as opposed to AVB who didnt play youngers and Arry who preferred to sign 33 year olds

Great piece in the telegraph today, basically Poch saying what a fab academy we have and that's its one of the best in Europe in not the best.

Great piece in the telegraph today, basically Poch saying what a fab academy we have and that's its one of the best in Europe in not the best.

“These players identify with the culture of the club and feel the club,” said Pochettino. “If you stay 10 or eight years in the club, with your dream to arrive to the first team, then when you arrive in the first team it’s difficult for you to leave. For that, it’s important to keep your culture and identify the player with it.

Great words, not sure that's quite what's happened at his old club though.

I see that Carroll started today as well and set up a lovely chance that Gomis missed. At least he is back in the team now.

Good to see Pritchard having a hand in all three goals today.

His goal was pretty sweet as well. Bottom left hand corner from outside the box. He packs a punch in his strikes. The through ball for their second was really nicely weighted as well.

Yeah, Shelvey got pushed up to play behind the striker and Carroll took the position alongside Ki. He looked decent mind, got forward to good effect on a couple of occasions, whereas before he's stayed deep all game and played it safe.

Mauricio Pochettino believes Tottenham could have the best academy in Europe.

And that was one of the Argentine's biggest reasons for leaving Southampton for Spurs this summer.

Southampton, of course, are notorious for the success of their own youth system - one which Pochettino himself was a big beneficiary of.

But the now Tottenham boss admits the 'unbelievable' academy and training ground in north London proved too big a draw for him at the start of the current campaign.

“For us, it’s very important to develop our young talent because we have an unbelievable academy and training ground and we need to profit from it,” Pochettino told reporters.

“It is important because the academy is always the heart of any club. It was one of the main reasons I decided to come here. The opportunity to work with this club’s academy was fantastic. I think it is the best in England, maybe even Europe.

“When a player arrives from the first team into the academy, it is special for everyone. It is important to put this philosophy in practice and give the opportunity to our young talent."

Pochettino has now got Tottenham playing much more consistently, with Spurs seventh in the Premier League table. Former side Southampton, however, are still two points about them in fifth despite not winning for five games.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/12/20/the-best-in-europe-pochettino-reveals-his-biggest-reason-for-lea/

Think the full article is here (couldn't see it linked in your link):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-Southamptons-claims-Mauricio-Pochettino.html

Best thing is that he's only one of a number of outstanding prospects, though.

Wait. As someone I consider highly knowledgeable on this particular topic, could you possibly expand on that point? I know Winks is highly rated, as apparently are both Cameron Carter-Vickers and Kyle Walker-Peters. Possibly Onomah as well. Is there anyone I've missed? And, more importantly, how many of these lads do you think could go on to have rewarding careers in the top flight, or even possibly in our first team?

Yep. Although I'd add Tom Glover (GK) and Nathan Oduwa (WF) to that list. There's obviously been a bit of a buzz around Cameron Carter Vickers, Josh Onomah and Marcus Edwards in particular. But I'm also hearing good things about Tashan Oakley-Boothe. Among others of those younger age groups to look out for seem to be Alfie Whiteman, Tom McDermott (both GK's), Nya Kirby (CF) and Jack Roles (CM).

Quite a few others (including recent academy graduates) who don't get as many plaudits but who could nevertheless mature into proper players:

Conor Ogilvie (LB)
Christian Maghoma (CB)
Filip Lesniak (CM)
Anton Walkes (CM)
Luke Amos (CM)
Cy Goddard (CM)
Will Miller (CM / AM)
Anthony Georgiou (RM)

In addition, there are a couple of slightly older players who have made great late progress in the past year or so - Dominic Ball (CB) and Luke McGee (GK).

Bumping this post for Dubai.

Best prospects currently are;

Veljkovic (CB/DM)
Winks (CM)
Onomah (CM)
Yahaya (CM)
Carter-Vickers (CB)
Walker-Peters (RB)
Azzaoui (AM)
Edwards (AM)
Harrison (ST)
Loft (ST)
Lazar (CM)
Sterling (ST)
Tanganga (CB)
Bennetts (AM)
Oakley-Boothe (CM)

Dubai, Jimmy's post was in reply to this from Rossi. Think it covers your question?

Bumping this post for Dubai.

Dubai, Jimmy's post was in reply to this from Rossi. Think it covers your question?

Hey, thanks mate. That's......insanely exciting if true, but somehow I can't entirely believe that after a decade of just the occasional top-level prospect, we've suddenly got so many of them that we probably will have to end up letting a lot of them go just to make room. What changed?

Maybe we changed out coaching structure a while back but only now are we seeing the first few years of graduates that have benefitted from following that structure from start to finish? Inglethorpe is a coach who many people on here rate highly and the guy did a lot of work between 2006 and 2012 before moving on to Liverpool. I can't claim to know a lot about this, only that whenever I read about our academy his name along with McDermott's and to a lesser extent Ramsey and Sherwood are mentionned as being the driving forces behind how we coach our youngsters.

Hey, thanks mate. That's......insanely exciting if true, but somehow I can't entirely believe that after a decade of just the occasional top-level prospect, we've suddenly got so many of them that we probably will have to end up letting a lot of them go just to make room. What changed?

The players mentioned in the two posts cover about five years - from Dominic Ball at 20 yrs old to the likes of Marcus Edwards and Tashan Oakley-Boothe who are still eligible for the under 16's. So even though many players are mentioned, they're not concentrated in one or two years.

And, of course, only a small percentage of them are likely to make it long term at Spurs. So many reasons why some talented kids don't eventually make it while others, perhaps less talented when younger, go on to enjoy stellar careers.

Nevertheless, there can be no question that the overall quality of player coming through our youth system is now on a different level to what it was even five years ago - let alone ten or fifteen. It's all down to greater resources; vastly improved scouting; better coaches; a superior coaching philosophy; superb new facilities at Hotspur Way; and, above all, the leadership of John McDermott, IMO. Anyone who has watched Spurs youth games, even down as far as the under 9's, will tell you that they tend to have a superior skill level over their opponents even if they aren't physically superior.

So while we can't expect the whole team to be comprised of academy graduates over the coming years, it's not unreasonable, I think, to hope that a good third of the squad will be. And there will be some genuinely top class talents among them, I'm sure. I'd even expect many (of those mentioned) that don't make it at Spurs to have decent careers elsewhere.

Back