• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer window thread.

Thinking about it, this January is a time for action -

1) targets are available,
2) they would improve us, and (crucially)
3) our signings seem to need at least 6 months to adapt to the league anyway, so might as well sign them in January and give them the rest of this season to settle in.

In terms of the first and second points, our horrible weaknesses are in two positions - RB, and DM. Both of those positions have players available on the market in January who would make sense for us, and who would consider moving to Spurs.

For RB, Nelson Semedo. Barca have put him up for sale, as per sources in Spain. He's also represented by Jorge Mendes, which (if Mourinho's long history with Mendes is any indicator) means we'll be looking at Gestifute as a potential source of incomings.Semedo's in his prime, is lightning quick, and defensively solid - the exact opposite of Aurier. He's worth going for, and might be available for a fairly reasonable price given Barca are looking to move him on.

For DM, Boubakary Soumare. Lille are willing to sell him, he's huge, defensively sound, and absolutely gifted with the ball at his feet. He's everything Dier isn't, and is also obtainable.

Bring them both in in January, and give them the rest of 2019/2020 to adapt in preparation for a real push next season. Lesser needs are a CB and a wing-forward to cover for Son and Lucas, but those are largely bench needs or dependent on whether existing players (Foyth, Lamela et al) shape up. RB and DM, however, are crucial.

And, crucially, are obtainable this January. If Levy has some goddamn balls, I mean.

I am sure that Mourinho and Levy would have talked it through before Mourinho signed. I can imagine that we have money to spend, and that it could be that Mourinho gets them across the line for us; or that there's agreement to just test out the squad with no expectations this season and have a decisive overhaul end of season.

I would imagine that Mourinho himself would attract some highly rated players which would provide an additional sweetener for sponsors, and that might be enough to encourage levy to spend in Jan. Like the Lille backroom, I believe much of these have been discussed months ago.

3) our signings seem to need at least 6 months to adapt to the league anyway, so might as well sign them in January and give them the rest of this season to settle in.

In terms of the first and second points, our horrible weaknesses are in two positions - RB, and DM. Both of those positions have players available on the market in January who would make sense for us, and who would consider moving to Spurs.

For RB, Nelson Semedo. Barca have put him up for sale, as per sources in Spain. He's also represented by Jorge Mendes, which (if Mourinho's long history with Mendes is any indicator) means we'll be looking at Gestifute as a potential source of incomings.Semedo's in his prime, is lightning quick, and defensively solid - the exact opposite of Aurier. He's worth going for, and might be available for a fairly reasonable price given Barca are looking to move him on.

For DM, Boubakary Soumare. Lille are willing to sell him, he's huge, defensively sound, and absolutely gifted with the ball at his feet. He's everything Dier isn't, and is also obtainable.

Bring them both in in January, and give them the rest of 2019/2020 to adapt in preparation for a real push next season. Lesser needs are a CB and a wing-forward to cover for Son and Lucas, but those are largely bench needs or dependent on whether existing players (Foyth, Lamela et al) shape up. RB and DM, however, are crucial.

And, crucially, are obtainable this January. If Levy has some goddamn balls, I mean.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Agreed.

There's been some talk of Celik too but that might just be because he's at Lille and our right backs are brick. Sander Berge looks like another option for midfield.

I do wonder how much we are going to be able to blunder Lille though. It looks like we might be back for Campos and we are being linked with Osimhen too.

I am sure that Mourinho and Levy would have talked it through before Mourinho signed. I can imagine that we have money to spend, and that it could be that Mourinho gets them across the line for us; or that there's agreement to just test out the squad with no expectations this season and have a decisive overhaul end of season.

I would imagine that Mourinho himself would attract some highly rated players which would provide an additional sweetener for sponsors, and that might be enough to encourage levy to spend in Jan. Like the Lille backroom, I believe much of these have been discussed months ago.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The problem is that an overhaul at the end of the season means that next season is also a write-off, because players now apparently require an immense amount of time to become anything other than crap. The adaptation process to the PL is taking longer than ever, and if you sign someone in summer, the vogue now is to only expect them to deliver a full year from when you sign them.

So, realistically, any signings made in the summer will need until 2021/2022 to start impressing on a consistent basis.

Signing players in January obviates that problem to an extent, since they get the first six months at Spurs prior to the start of pre-season 2020 to settle in. This is why I think January needs to be a time of action - that, and spreading signings across two windows as opposed to bringing them all in in the summer (with the resulting cash-flow and squad management issues).

The problem is that an overhaul at the end of the season means that next season is also a write-off, because players now apparently require an immense amount of time to become anything other than crap. The adaptation process to the PL is taking longer than ever, and if you sign someone in summer, the vogue now is to only expect them to deliver a full year from when you sign them.

So, realistically, any signings made in the summer will need until 2021/2022 to start impressing on a consistent basis.

Signing players in January obviates that problem to an extent, since they get the first six months at Spurs prior to the start of pre-season 2020 to settle in. This is why I think January needs to be a time of action - that, and spreading signings across two windows as opposed to bringing them all in in the summer (with the resulting cash-flow and squad management issues).

I agree with the logic but the problem is that it is normally more expansive to recruit in January. Levy has splashed out for new managers in January before, so maybe there is hope. Palacios was a great signing for Redknapp in his first window and exactly what we needed.

I do wonder how much we are going to be able to blunder Lille though. It looks like we might be back for Campos and we are being linked with Osimhen too.

It's true, we would be bullying Lille to an extent. However, that can be resolved, as with most things, with money - pay over the odds for a player of theirs, or more compensation than required for Campos et al. Pay 50m for Soumare where 45m will do, or 10m for Campos where 5m will do. It isn't much, in the overall scheme of things, but it helps soothe anger.

At the highest level of football, executives are known more for their relationship-building than for their ability to extract every single penny out of a deal. The titans of modern football (Florentino Perez, Karl Heinz-Rumenigge, Andrea Agnelli et al) are as much relationship builders as they are visionary executives, and part of that is because they're willing to pay over the odds to soothe relationships even as they raid clubs for players and staff.

Take this for an example. RC Lens wasn't even owed a payment for Varane - they asked, and Perez paid it anyway.

No doubt, it's an expensive proposition. But if Levy wants to play in that sandbox, he needs to learn how to behave in that sandbox - which is a world away from the sort of behaviour that got him (and us, I suppose) here in the first place.

I agree with the logic but the problem is that it is normally more expansive to recruit in January. Levy has splashed out for new managers in January before, so maybe there is hope. Palacios was a great signing for Redknapp in his first window and exactly what we needed.

I agree that it's more expensive to recruit in January, but as I mentioned, the players in question (Soumare, Semedo - even potentially Berge, as you pointed out) are available. That puts an upper limit on the price that wouldn't be the case if they weren't for sale.

It's true, we would be bullying Lille to an extent. However, that can be resolved, as with most things, with money - pay over the odds for a player of theirs, or more compensation than required for Campos et al. Pay 50m for Soumare where 45m will do, or 10m for Campos where 5m will do. It isn't much, in the overall scheme of things, but it helps soothe anger.

At the highest level of football, executives are known more for their relationship-building than for their ability to extract every single penny out of a deal. The titans of modern football (Florentino Perez, Karl Heinz-Rumenigge, Andrea Agnelli et al) are as much relationship builders as they are visionary executives, and part of that is because they're willing to pay over the odds to soothe relationships even as they raid clubs for players and staff.

Take this for an example. RC Lens wasn't even owed a payment for Varane - they asked, and Perez paid it anyway.

No doubt, it's an expensive proposition. But if Levy wants to play in that sandbox, he needs to learn how to behave in that sandbox - which is a world away from the sort of behaviour that got him (and us, I suppose) here in the first place.

I agree that it's more expensive to recruit in January, but as I mentioned, the players in question (Soumare, Semedo - even potentially Berge, as you pointed out) are available. That puts an upper limit on the price that wouldn't be the case if they weren't for sale.

I do wonder how much bad blood there is over us poaching Sacramento. The deal had obviously been agreed before they knew anything about it. Like you said, these things can be smoothed over with cash but it is a possible complication.

Back