• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer thread

Thank fudge the football is almost over so we can go back to playing hypothetical football manager and figure out the easy and obvious moves that would definitely get us to the next level, if only the board / scouting department were as knowledgeable as us....

It will be a fascinating summer. Funds tied up in Bergvall and Veliz who I don't think are going to provide immediate solutions for where we're lacking is interesting, hopefully we can secure EL football and they'll get plenty of opportunities otherwise for where we want to be they'd be better off on loan. It will help having the likes of Ivan, Hugo and Eric's wages off the books. I do hope that Son doesn't fall in to that category of player who doesn't really fit in but is paid too much to not work in to the team. I think the talk of selling either him or Richy to get a replacement is a bit nuts, we obviously need more than one proper striker, I'm not sure if Veliz is there yet and we need more quality.

Left CB is an interesting one as well, I don't see players jumping at the chance to be behind VDV, Cuti and Dragusin which is why you'd think Kelly / Tosin look to have gone elsewhere.

For me I actually want the bulk of the budget on a proper fudging midfielder, we have about 6 options who are frequently all around the same level of meh, adding in Bergvall isn't solving that, we need a readymade signing who will come in and lift the players around him up. Who that player is I have no idea, I'll leave that to the scouting department.

We say it every year but I have a feeling this could be a Summer of real movement, shifting many on and identifying and bringing in a lot of new faces. Levy seems to be on board with the Ange re-build and we now have a proper team behind the scenes to help make it happen.

*I'll probably regret this prediction on 31st August

Thank fudge the football is almost over so we can go back to playing hypothetical football manager and figure out the easy and obvious moves that would definitely get us to the next level, if only the board / scouting department were as knowledgeable as us....

It will be a fascinating summer. Funds tied up in Bergvall and Veliz who I don't think are going to provide immediate solutions for where we're lacking is interesting, hopefully we can secure EL football and they'll get plenty of opportunities otherwise for where we want to be they'd be better off on loan. It will help having the likes of Ivan, Hugo and Eric's wages off the books. I do hope that Son doesn't fall in to that category of player who doesn't really fit in but is paid too much to not work in to the team. I think the talk of selling either him or Richy to get a replacement is a bit nuts, we obviously need more than one proper striker, I'm not sure if Veliz is there yet and we need more quality.

Left CB is an interesting one as well, I don't see players jumping at the chance to be behind VDV, Cuti and Dragusin which is why you'd think Kelly / Tosin look to have gone elsewhere.

For me I actually want the bulk of the budget on a proper fudging midfielder, we have about 6 options who are frequently all around the same level of meh, adding in Bergvall isn't solving that, we need a readymade signing who will come in and lift the players around him up. Who that player is I have no idea, I'll leave that to the scouting department.
Considering the view on Højbjerg in here, my mum would be an upgrade on him, so Bergvall should certainly be! (I'm not so sure). Technically, he's a lot better than Højbjerg, and he's quicker. If he can adapt to the speed in the PL, he can be a big surprise. But it's a big leap from Allsvenskan to the PL. Only time will tell.

It will either go two ways
Quantity
Or
Quality

Will come down to what Ange wants and demands

Is still believe we have massively under used the youth players and there is squad options there that can and should be used

So do we go all in for the 6 and CF we need (that’s assuming we keep son, richarlison and sign Werner)

Or do we spread the money around and buy a new wide player, a 6, a gamble of a CF… couple of full back options and some youth options

Will be interesting for sure

It will either go two ways
Quantity
Or
Quality

Will come down to what Ange wants and demands

Is still believe we have massively under used the youth players and there is squad options there that can and should be used

So do we go all in for the 6 and CF we need (that’s assuming we keep son, richarlison and sign Werner)

Or do we spread the money around and buy a new wide player, a 6, a gamble of a CF… couple of full back options and some youth options

Will be interesting for sure

I'd split the different a bit. Quality at CF, CM and maybe LW. Then cheap young prospects or free agents at RB, LB, CB and GK. 3 major signings, 4 clever ones.

I would hope we go quality
If that leaves us short, then we just need to cope until we can bring in more quality.

Let the academy fill in the games, or get in some loans to cover

The problem is our academy is unbalanced position wise. E.g. we have an abundance of AMs (Devine, Donley, Santiago, Moore) but have no full-backs.

Considering the view on Højbjerg in here, my mum would be an upgrade on him, so Bergvall should certainly be! (I'm not so sure). Technically, he's a lot better than Højbjerg, and he's quicker. If he can adapt to the speed in the PL, he can be a big surprise. But it's a big leap from Allsvenskan to the PL. Only time will tell.

Yeah without wanting to disrespect the league he's in, it's a massive step up. The first season in a young player's career in a new country in a club that has ambitions of being top club. As you say he could be a surprise package but at the same time pinning hopes / expectations on him to solve a problem area of the pitch isn't realistic.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play and all but I also hope we get in a player of proven quality in that midfield. I don't think slotting Bergvall for any of the last 4 games in place of one of our midfielders would have seen a marked improvement. Perhaps I'm not really qualified to make that statement having not seen him play, I'd love to be proven wrong and I like seeing the club make proactive moves like this (as long as it's not all we do in midfield).

Maybe it's a bit of a Roy Keane-esque cliche but I just think we need to leader in there, someone who won't accept mediocrity. None of our lot seem super inspiring / likely to demand the best out of each other. PEH probably the most vocal but doesn't necessarily back it up in his performances, but even if it upsets people on here he's been on a par with post injury Bentancur - There were three consecutive badly mishit passes against Liverpool that were actually just fudging sad to see because we know how capable is. I'm not even sure which trio is our best on paper anymore as there's different versions of players who turn up each week ie Biss at the start of the season looked like one of the 1st names on the team sheet but now not so much.

I don't really watch enough high level football outside of Spurs to know who we should be in for, Paulihna for Fulham possibly but age may be prohibitive. And we've seen how a glamorous move like Casimero can go, although it's not like we'd have come close wage wise. I'd still be up for moving Romero in there the last couple of games, we can see how he does and Dragusin also gets a run of games alongside Mickey...

I would hope we go quality
If that leaves us short, then we just need to cope until we can bring in more quality.

Let the academy fill in the games, or get in some loans to cover

We should go for quality. But what does that mean? Was vdv quality? Udogie? Johnson cost £50m. Is that quality?

We should go for quality. But what does that mean? Was vdv quality? Udogie? Johnson cost £50m. Is that quality?

Best player available that Ange wants.
That's not always going to be the best player, but the right one for this team.

The problem is our academy is unbalanced position wise. E.g. we have an abundance of AMs (Devine, Donley, Santiago, Moore) but have no full-backs.

And that will need to be taken into consideration.

We have have positions that I'm sure we feel we need to improve on this window. Then look at the gaps and see who could fill in from the youth teams or who we could bring in.

Could Phillips cover at CB if needed? If he can, then I would rather see us go for extra full backs to rotate with Porro and Udogie or at least push them for a starting place.

Best player available that Ange wants.
That's not always going to be the best player, but the right one for this team.

He's said how the selection process works. He'll identify an area that needs improving. What type of player he wants.

The scouting department gives him a selection of players.

He discards the ones he doesn't think are suitable.

We then try and sign 1 from whats left. He might give a preference, i don't know. But any player we buy would have gotten his seal of approval.

Yeah they were or are
But we need a lot of players

Say we have £200m to spend after sales…. Hypothetically and yes that’s high
Is it £70m on a dm and £70m on CF and then maybe £15/£20m in 3 or 4 playews

Or is it 6 £30/£40m players

Your £30/£40m played are your romeros … senior players overseas but some risk

Your £20m players are your gambles like Nusa

In theory your £70m players are your guarantees like Eze, Toney (ignore what you think his value is), Olise

Yeah they were or are
But we need a lot of players

Say we have £200m to spend after sales…. Hypothetically and yes that’s high
Is it £70m on a dm and £70m on CF and then maybe £15/£20m in 3 or 4 playews

Or is it 6 £30/£40m players

Your £30/£40m played are your romeros … senior players overseas but some risk

Your £20m players are your gambles like Nusa

In theory your £70m players are your guarantees like Eze, Toney (ignore what you think his value is), Olise

In theory. But i'd argue most players costing £70m+ have been massive disappointments.

Back