• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The slightly girly Health, Fitness & Diet Thread

Anyone else doing strength training or is it mainly cardiobunnies in here?
I don't necessarily do strength training (<6 rep range), but a lot of hypertrophy work (6-12 rep range). Doing this alongside football (twice a week) and kickboxing (once) so finding it difficult to gain the weight that I want. I need to eat like a horse! I can deadlift around 80kg for 12 reps, although i haven't done so in a few weeks due to changes in routine etc.

I don't necessarily do strength training (<6 rep range), but a lot of hypertrophy work (6-12 rep range). Doing this alongside football (twice a week) and kickboxing (once) so finding it difficult to gain the weight that I want. I need to eat like a horse! I can deadlift around 80kg for 12 reps, although i haven't done so in a few weeks due to changes in routine etc.

Isn't that how you get Fois Gras?

Decided to start hitting the gym hard, been pussy-footing around for ages.

Had really good gains last year before the summer, then had lots of work to do (dissertation) and moved back home away from the gym so 6 months without going has seen massive strength loss.

Back day yesterday, Deadlifted 100kg albeit with some pretty poor form.

Anyone else doing strength training or is it mainly cardiobunnies in here?

I do mainly strength training, current lifts are:

Squat 130kg 3 x 5
Dead 130kg 3 x 5
Bench 87.5kg 3 x 5
Overhead Press 57.5kg 3 x 5

Followed Mark Rippetoe's starting strength to get to these numbers (great program)

I'm back at football now though so recovery is an issue, I've moved onto a variation of the 531 program by Jim Wendler. Going ok so far!

Ps.

You want to lose weight,

Eat fruit, veg and protein. Do low intensity cardio every morning before breakfast (30-60mins walk will do). Lift heavy 2 - 3 times per week in lower rep ranges (3 - 5). Make sure you squat and deadlift. Do high intensity cardio twice a week.

Job done.

Ps.

You want to lose weight,

Eat fruit, veg and protein. Do low intensity cardio every morning before breakfast (30-60mins walk will do). Lift heavy 2 - 3 times per week in lower rep ranges (3 - 5). Make sure you squat and deadlift. Do high intensity cardio twice a week.

Job done.

I take it this is an exercise routine for the unemployed? Where do you fit the time in to go to work?

All areas of my body are steadily progressing in strength which is always nice to see. Probably my weakest areas are biceps and chest. The former is such a small muscle group that I don't really care too much, size is increasing anyway as they get a workout with back days. My chest is a bit of an issue. I'm currently doing two workouts for week to stimulate growth, as visually it's not that proportionate to my stature. I'm going to be lifting heavy for the next week or so then it's back home for easter and a three week break. In that time I will still be doing a lot of exercise, but not nearly as much weight training. It's important to give the body a prolonged rest sometimes in order to aid growth and keep things fresh.

Me and my cousin decided to go for a run/jog/crawl at 10pm last night, took about 45 minutes and it's left me aching like a bastard today. Hopefully can make it a regular thing but not sure if it's what I want to be doing every saturday night.

I take it this is an exercise routine for the unemployed? Where do you fit the time in to go to work?

All depends how commited you are to it I suppose. I do it and I have a 9-5 job, play in a band and play for a football team.

Get up an hour earlier for work, sit on an exercise bike for 45 mins. Do your high intensity stuff after your weight training. The high intensity stuff shouldn't be done for more than 15 minutes anyway, just make sure its really really hard.

Like I said, it's not for everyone. There's more than one way to skin a cat, I've just found that the above will work everytime providing you commit to it.

If you're seriously lucky you can make your low intensity cardio your walk to work.

Work's too far for me to walk but I always cycle if I can (work different places)

Also resolved to walk up and down escalators and not take lifts etc if I can.

Ok fitness freaks.

I have basically set up my own gym at home. I need to buy weights - dumb bells - anyone point me to the direction of good exercises to do with dumb bells? I have heard that theyre better than machine type weights.

I do circuits twice a week as well as at least 1 slow steady run (10-12km) and some core stability and body conditioning. About 1 hour every other day on balance

This sees me eat pretty much what I want although I do enjoy vegetables a lot. I have maybe 1 take away a week and drink in moderation. I only started weighing my self this year and have steadily lost weight since January. Only 2-3 lbs every 2 weeks. (Maybe a stone in total) Not a huge amount I know, but I have taken the conscious decision that it is about lifestyle change rather than immediate change.

Anyone can starve themselves and thrash themselves in the gym for a month and see results, but if you are not mentally ready to commit then you will just yo-yo.

Add to that the fact that if you are going for the quick fix unprepared you are more likely to injure yourself and find yourself back at square 1.

Having said all that and bearing in mind I train a fair amount, one of the gym staff asked me on Wednesday if I would like to try a system called P90X. This was a 40 minute beasting involving lots of pull ups, dynamic lunges and squats as well as press-ups. (It is advertised on TV, if you can get past the hype, the concept is pretty sound)...........

It is only now, on Sunday morning, that I can finally straighten my Arms!!! Bloody DOMS.

Slow and Steady when it comes to weight loss and getting fit. There are no quick fixes. If there were then there would be no need for the industries that sell such quick fixes!!!

Ok I now have my own gym at home - so a rower, treadmill etc

I also brought some weights n brick.

Anyways in terms of doing weight training which is better for losing weight. I am presuming they serve different purposes. There is a fair bit of conflicting arguments on google.

Heavy weight/low reps?
Low weight/high reps?

I'd say that high reps/ lower weight is better for burning calories - the best would be bodyweight stuff like push-ups, chip-ups etc

Creatine - yes or no?

What is the general opinion on that?

Unless you want the physique of a body builder and are committed to it - there's really no point. It only aids recovery so to make it worth the money (in my opinion very very few of these types of products are), you'd really have to hit the gym hard and often for a long period of time.

Just to reiterate again, going to the gym for cardio is pointless if your diet isn't right. Your diet is the most important thing, not how many kilometers you run at the gym.

Just to reiterate again, going to the gym for cardio is pointless if your diet isn't right. Your diet is the most important thing, not how many kilometers you run at the gym.
Diet is the most important aspect if you want to change body composition as you'll know.

"you can't out-train a bad diet" - some guy

Like for myself who is trying to gain muscle mass - if you don't get enough calories/protein in, then you won't gain weight (or the right sort).

I always hear that diet is important - obviously it is but you guys seem to know more.

I used a number of calculators online to calculate my BMR and coming up with circa 4k in calories - now I do not eat 4k in calories yet I gained weight. Also how the hell can 4k calories be correct? I generally eat about 1500 on a good day and 3000 on a bad day.

I struggle with diet simply because I eat out alot, I drink alot but my meals are all over the place. I fudgein hate breakfast and rarely have lunch and if I do it is a small sandwich etc.

Last edited:
Back