• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The slightly girly Health, Fitness & Diet Thread

Ok gym freaks got a slight problem.

I am doing a rowing regime, at high intensity for about 45 mins to an hour, six times a week, weight resistance twice a week and eating about 1500 - 1800/2000 calories a day.

I have noticed that I am not losing any fudging weight. HOWEVER I have apparently lost some body fat (so the scales tell me but I dont believe that brick). I am presuming the body fat has been displaced by muscle - but I am unsure. I have always seen the main evidence of losing weight is fitting in to clothes that are one size smaller than what I am and so on.

Anyone got ideas as to how to lose the weight? I used to be able to lose some weight effortlessly, I mean yeah I had to train hard but atleast it was coming off. It seems that this time round I have hit a plateau BEFORE I have even started.

One question - how much water do you drink per day?

You need at least 2 litres (up to 3 actually) in order to keep well hydrated and reduce your water retention

Also - 2000 calories sounds quite a lot, more in the 'maintenance' range - aim for 1400-1500 max if you really want to drop those KFC drumstricks. In addition - your diet is extremely important - i.e. you can obtain those daily calories from a balanced diet or junk food, etc.

One question - how much water do you drink per day?

You need at least 2 litres (up to 3 actually) in order to keep well hydrated and reduce your water retention

Also - 2000 calories sounds quite a lot, more in the 'maintenance' range - aim for 1400-1500 max if you really want to drop those KFC drumstricks. In addition - your diet is extremely important - i.e. you can obtain those daily calories from a balanced diet or junk food, etc.

My maintenance is 2800 - so im dropping 800 - 1000 plus the exercise energy burned. This maintenance calroie intake is assuming im sedentary (which im not) so im understating everything from foods to portion sizes to exercise. I keep a log also to ensure that I record everything (if anything it trains you to undertsand what food actually contains).

I have dropped the KFC bit although I do fudgein miss it (I walk past a KFC EVERY DAY DUDE)

The water may well be an issue. I do drink about 2 litres but I should be drinking more because of the exercising. I have also changed my diet to include breakfast/lunch/dinner all healthy n brick.

Maybe just time. I guess its frustrating as I have these lycra shorts I want to fit in to before summer arrives.

fudging hell - maintenance at 2800!

Did you obtain that from a dietican or the internet?

How tall are you and what work are you doing? Thought you were some accountant suit :)

How tall are you and what work are you doing? Thought you were some accountant suit :)

I guess when you are over weight your maintenance is higher. Its dependent on weight and height. im 6ft2 and weigh a brickload. I did get it from the internet but I checked about 15 sites and just averaged it out.

I am an accountant suit - got a very lovely suit on today so fudge you bitch. I sit around all day ordering people about hence I put my activity level at sedentary.

Check your maintenance level out also... I bet you get something similiar.

Right I've hit a bit of a wall with my workout, was getting some good gains but need to change my routine up a bit. Anyone got any suggestions?

Currently:

Day 1
Bench
Incline Bench
Military Press
Upright Row

Day 2
Squats
Stiff legged deadlift
Leg raise
Leg press
Calf raise

Day 3
Deadlift
Yates Row
Barbell arm curls
Preacher curls

I want to stick to free weights largely and am currently gaining so high weight/low rep.

The more you weigh (including muscle mass) - the more your body need to take in to maintain it's form surely? Someone who weighs 13 stone will have a different maintenance to someone who weighs 20 stone for example.

I think I've hit a plateau on my chest and it's incredibly frustrating. Gonna do loads of push-ups when I'm not on a chest day etc to try and break the mould.

Yes, but he's overweight currently (according to himself) so surely his 'normal' maintenance would be lower than that?

Yes, but he's overweight currently (according to himself) so surely his 'normal' maintenance would be lower than that?

To maintain by bodyweight I will eat more calories as I have more to shove around.

However im eating much lower than my BMR which means that im burning 2800 calories (plus another maybe 500 through exercise) a day but only eating 2000 calories.

Problem?

Have you got yourself a pair of scales yet? I've bought some and been weighing myself on a weekly basis and logging it on a spreadsheet along with body fat%.

How long you been doing the rowing routine for? Your body will stagnate after doing a similar routine for a while, maybe do some running or crosstrainer for 2/3 weeks to mix it up a bit and that should help but overall I always find I lose some weight then just stay at the same weight for 2/3 weeks then after that I'll suddenly lose a bit more. You do tend to plateau every so often.

To maintain by bodyweight I will eat more calories as I have more to shove around.

However im eating much lower than my BMR which means that im burning 2800 calories (plus another maybe 500 through exercise) a day but only eating 2000 calories.

Problem?

I simply noted on your high-maintenance number which was obviously calculated on your current body weight which you yourself noted to be slightly 'large'

No, maintenance is higher....i.e. to MAINTAIN your weight, for heavier people.

If you a fact **** you need to keep eating brick to maintain the weight.

If you eat like a normal person you'll lose weight.

Mine is 2200 maintenance.

Have you got yourself a pair of scales yet? I've bought some and been weighing myself on a weekly basis and logging it on a spreadsheet along with body fat%.

How long you been doing the rowing routine for? Your body will stagnate after doing a similar routine for a while, maybe do some running or crosstrainer for 2/3 weeks to mix it up a bit and that should help but overall I always find I lose some weight then just stay at the same weight for 2/3 weeks then after that I'll suddenly lose a bit more. You do tend to plateau every so often.

I had mechanical scales and recently brought a pair of Weight Watchers digital scales which shows body fat, body water, BMI etc. Its funny because I was lighter on the mechnical scales than I am on the WW scales - which annoyed me but I got over that quite quickly.

I may have to mix it up although I have been mixing it up on the rower i.e. some long distance stuff (10k) and some HIIT and weights every couple of days.

I guess im annoyed at the plateau effect because im putting in the graft without reward - which can suddenly demotivate you

No, maintenance is higher....i.e. to MAINTAIN your weight, for heavier people.

If you a fact **** you need to keep eating brick to maintain the weight.

If you eat like a normal person you'll lose weight.

Mine is 2200 maintenance.

Sure, but how is that different to what I said?

He's obviously calculated his 'maintenance' on his current weight which is flawed imho. Once he loses the weight his maintenance would most likely drop to somewhere around yours (I'd assume)

My maintenance is 2800 - so im dropping 800 - 1000 plus the exercise energy burned. This maintenance calroie intake is assuming im sedentary (which im not) so im understating everything from foods to portion sizes to exercise. I keep a log also to ensure that I record everything (if anything it trains you to undertsand what food actually contains).

I have dropped the KFC bit although I do fudgein miss it (I walk past a KFC EVERY DAY DUDE)

The water may well be an issue. I do drink about 2 litres but I should be drinking more because of the exercising. I have also changed my diet to include breakfast/lunch/dinner all healthy n brick.

Maybe just time. I guess its frustrating as I have these lycra shorts I want to fit in to before summer arrives.

Drink less, dehydration helps you lose weight. It's not long term, but if you want to see the numbers on the scales go down then you can lose 5-10% body weight by dehydrating in a sensible way.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/399393-how-much-water-weight-can-you-lose/

Also, help yourself sweat more. Put a bin bag around your body or cling film. You might sound like an eeijit in the gym rustling around but you will be losing more water. I have never used this in the gym, but I only do weights in the gym, I do road running 4-6 times a week and 2 weeks a month I have a bin bag, t-shirt and jumper on to get a good sweat!

Drink less, dehydration helps you lose weight.

Sorry, but that's crazy unless he's entering some sort of competition where his weight is absolutely crucial - i.e. boxing, etc.

Besides the potential damage he can do to his body long-term it is outright dangerous!

Absolutely no sportsman in this world would reccommend that. By drinking large quantities of water he'll keep well hydrated and reduce his water retention greatly. Similar to eating small quantities of food numerous times a day (fast metabolism) instead of stuffing yourself fudged up once a day reducing your metabolism greatly and retaining pretty much everything from what you consume and in turn putting on weight. So many people miss that and simply think NOT eating is the solution

The 'warnings' in that link are quite accurate actually

Last edited:
Drink less, dehydration helps you lose weight. It's not long term, but if you want to see the numbers on the scales go down then you can lose 5-10% body weight by dehydrating in a sensible way.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/399393-how-much-water-weight-can-you-lose/

Also, help yourself sweat more. Put a bin bag around your body or cling film. You might sound like an eeijit in the gym rustling around but you will be losing more water. I have never used this in the gym, but I only do weights in the gym, I do road running 4-6 times a week and 2 weeks a month I have a bin bag, t-shirt and jumper on to get a good sweat!

DHSF - don't do this. It's poor advice. You're just losing water, which will help you lose weight short term - but you'll just put it back on when you re-hydrate.

Fighters will do this to make their weightclass, but it isn't something you can maintain, and it isn't healthy. Telling someone to purposefully dehydrate is ridiculous.

DHSF - don't do this. It's poor advice. You're just losing water, which will help you lose weight short term - but you'll just put it back on when you re-hydrate. Fighters will do this to make their weightclass, but it isn't something you can maintain, and it isn't healthy. Telling someone to purposefully dehydrate is ridiculous.

I aint stoopid dude. I did laugh at Pauls suggestion though. Ive been trying to drink my two litre's a day.

Arcey - im using my BMR (based on a sedentary activity level) and then from there I reduce my calories and up my activity levels. So im actually being prudent as im calculating my own loss through the exercise rather than some calculator telling me what my exercise losses are.

Im ultimately being prudent because I trust NO calculator and there cant be a one size fits all calculation but if I use it as a guide I will lose weight.

Now I understand where you are coming from in terms that my BMR will reduce as I lose weight which I will recalculate once I lose a stone. then subsequently every stone after that until I become the lean mean fighting machine and sex GHod that I have trapped inside me.

I had mechanical scales and recently brought a pair of Weight Watchers digital scales which shows body fat, body water, BMI etc. Its funny because I was lighter on the mechnical scales than I am on the WW scales - which annoyed me but I got over that quite quickly.

I may have to mix it up although I have been mixing it up on the rower i.e. some long distance stuff (10k) and some HIIT and weights every couple of days.

I guess im annoyed at the plateau effect because im putting in the graft without reward - which can suddenly demotivate you

Whether you're trying to lose weight, or trying to put on muscle mass - you'll always reach a plateu at some point. I think this happens when your body gets used to the exercise/calorie defecit.

The thing to do here is to be even more strict with your diet/increase the amount you exercise. Or if you're trying to put on muscle, try adding to the weight you're lifting or changing the exercise for the specific muscle group. Just make a change so your body has to re-adjust.

Last edited:
Back