• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***The official health and fitness thread***

Joined the local running club today. I've recently got back in to running but hate the decline in my fitness levels since last year.

I have good pace but need to work on stamina. I can run a sub 7 minutes mile but am then left wanting. Trying to get back to 10k events & maybe beyond that in future.

Bored in work and was looking over workout stuff so figured I'd bump this a wee bit.

After a long long time out of proper training (thanks to my other half having a horrific pregnancy and the birth of our gorgeuos baby daughter) I Set myself a little goal at the start of the year of a 2x body weight deadlift, 1.5 x body weight Squat, 1 x body weight Bench Press, 0.75 x body weight power clean and a 0.5 x body weight overhead press. All at 10% or below body-fat. All this with the aim of potentially going back to play football in better shape than I've ever been next year.

Using the following routine alternated on three non-consecutive days (Mon, Wed, Fri at the moment). Starting Strength routine by Mark Rippetoe for anyone interested (buy the book, it's excellent!).

Workout A

Squat 3 sets of 5 reps (low bar squat, executed properly BELOW PARALLEL)
Deadlift 1 set of 5 reps
Bench 3 sets of 5 reps
Chins 3 sets to failure

Workout B
Squat 3 sets of 5 reps
Powerclean 5 sets of 3 reps
Overhead Press 3 sets of 5 reps
Chins 3 sets to failure

Add 5kg to Squat and Deads every single workout until progression slows, add 2.5kg to everything else (bar chins). Once progress slows, reduce the amount of weight added until eventually no-more can be in every workout.

At a weight of 91kg my last week's lifts were;

Squat: 120kg (started at 65kg back in Jan) at 135kg I had to re-set due to form issues.
Deadlift: 160kg (started at 70kg)
Bench: 92.5kg (started at 50kg) getting close to a re-set
Press: 55kg (started at 25kg) re-set at 57.5kg and working my way back up
Powerclean: 60kg (started at 40kg) technical lift so working on technique and progressing slowly

If you work out one rep max, I've actually hit my goals on everything except for powerclean, but I'm going to keep going and try and hit them for the full set and rep scheme on this routine before changing anything.

Body-fat is still sitting somewhere between 15 and 20%. Have started to pull in some HIIT on Saturdays then once I hit 180kg in the dead and 135kg in squat I'll switch to lifting twice a week and HIIT 3 times per week and see where that takes me.

Once I get all that done I'll decide if it's worth going back to football next year!

I really would recommend starting strength to anyone as a program. When done correctly, novice progression in the big lifts is the fastest way to gain strength and add muscle to your frame.

Bored in work and was looking over workout stuff so figured I'd bump this a wee bit.

After a long long time out of proper training (thanks to my other half having a horrific pregnancy and the birth of our gorgeuos baby daughter) I Set myself a little goal at the start of the year of a 2x body weight deadlift, 1.5 x body weight Squat, 1 x body weight Bench Press, 0.75 x body weight power clean and a 0.5 x body weight overhead press. All at 10% or below body-fat. All this with the aim of potentially going back to play football in better shape than I've ever been next year.

Using the following routine alternated on three non-consecutive days (Mon, Wed, Fri at the moment). Starting Strength routine by Mark Rippetoe for anyone interested (buy the book, it's excellent!).

Workout A

Squat 3 sets of 5 reps (low bar squat, executed properly BELOW PARALLEL)
Deadlift 1 set of 5 reps
Bench 3 sets of 5 reps
Chins 3 sets to failure

Workout B
Squat 3 sets of 5 reps
Powerclean 5 sets of 3 reps
Overhead Press 3 sets of 5 reps
Chins 3 sets to failure

Add 5kg to Squat and Deads every single workout until progression slows, add 2.5kg to everything else (bar chins). Once progress slows, reduce the amount of weight added until eventually no-more can be in every workout.

At a weight of 91kg my last week's lifts were;

Squat: 120kg (started at 65kg back in Jan) at 135kg I had to re-set due to form issues.
Deadlift: 160kg (started at 70kg)
Bench: 92.5kg (started at 50kg) getting close to a re-set
Press: 55kg (started at 25kg) re-set at 57.5kg and working my way back up
Powerclean: 60kg (started at 40kg) technical lift so working on technique and progressing slowly

If you work out one rep max, I've actually hit my goals on everything except for powerclean, but I'm going to keep going and try and hit them for the full set and rep scheme on this routine before changing anything.

Body-fat is still sitting somewhere between 15 and 20%. Have started to pull in some HIIT on Saturdays then once I hit 180kg in the dead and 135kg in squat I'll switch to lifting twice a week and HIIT 3 times per week and see where that takes me.

Once I get all that done I'll decide if it's worth going back to football next year!

I really would recommend starting strength to anyone as a program. When done correctly, novice progression in the big lifts is the fastest way to gain strength and add muscle to your frame.

Totally agree and speaking from experience (not scientifically or random facts on the net) where I focussed heavily on diet and cardio to the extent that I lost a fair bit of muscle - was obsessed with weight loss and not fat loss. I had to gain a bit of weight while exercising out a training programme so I can gain that strength and muscle back. Now going back to losing more weight through simple strength and diet - no cardio. Cardio improves the whole CV system which I appreciate and I do HITT but ultimately I think ill do alright by focussing on strength and calisthenics.

Totally agree and speaking from experience (not scientifically or random facts on the net) where I focussed heavily on diet and cardio to the extent that I lost a fair bit of muscle - was obsessed with weight loss and not fat loss. I had to gain a bit of weight while exercising out a training programme so I can gain that strength and muscle back. Now going back to losing more weight through simple strength and diet - no cardio. Cardio improves the whole CV system which I appreciate and I do HITT but ultimately I think ill do alright by focussing on strength and calisthenics.

I see so many little skinny kids in the Gym doing exercises to 'hit their rear delts' or benching 12.5kg dumbells for sets of 10 because they think '10 reps is for hypertrophy bro'. They do this for weeks upon weeks upon weeks with and think it is working. The reason they think it is working is because doing ANYTHING will illicit a response in someone who is used to doing nothing, but squats, deadlifts, bench and OHP will illicit a much better response and for a much longer period. Everything 'works' on a novice, but some things work better than others.

What is even worse is that I see PT's actually allowing people to do this!

A barbell, weight plates, squats, deadlifts, bench press and overhead press are the only things anyone who is just starting out needs for at least the first 6 months of their training. This applies to you whether you are fat, thin, tall, short, whatever.

Had a good read through this thread some interesting stuff.

For about five weeks now I have got off my lardy backside and started a programme.

Basically run 2 miles as a warm up, few minutes stretches and then a programme of strength training without and then with weights, I am following a guide from a book I bought years ago 'SAS Personal Trainer' by John Lofty Wiseman.. dont do the weights everynight but every night the programme without weights.

I also taking supplements - deer extract & anabolic extreme capsules... Have cut out all the crud from my diet and have been eating much healthier...also sleeping better to.

only five weeks and the aches in the morning are getting less and less....have much more energy and am feeling stronger.

I mainly want to add strength & size...bigger arms, my chest has always been poo and i would like the six pack! think im doing ok as the sas guide makes sure I work on everything. Really unsure about the supplements though...there is a lot out there so its hard to know which ones are the best for my needs.

If anyone has any tips on supplements I would be much obliged...as well as good tips for excerises for the chest.

I have access to some high quality weight training kit, and have started doing a bit.

Like Millsy I want to follow a regime based around squats but I am hesitant as i feel i should get some instruction on form/technique - I've had some back issues.

I was going to follow a similar program adding a few kilos regularly. Watching some on line vids isn't enough.

I have access to some high quality weight training kit, and have started doing a bit.

Like Millsy I want to follow a regime based around squats but I am hesitant as i feel i should get some instruction on form/technique - I've had some back issues.

I was going to follow a similar program adding a few kilos regularly. Watching some on line vids isn't enough.

Buy Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Best instructional weightlifting book about. Will teach you how to deadlift, powerclean, bench press and press properly too. There's also a DVD you can buy.

So trying to eat high protein foods, but its difficult as my partner wont want to eat all the high protein stuff, I dont mind cooking for myself but she will get the hump a bit.

from what I can gather grilling chicken breast and grilling steaks is the way to go, with plenty of greens...broccoli & asparagus and so on...

read alot about egg whites and fish...trouble is im not a big fish lover. and dont have a clue how to prepare egg whites properly.

Either way just cutting out all the fizzy drinks, chocolate & crisps for five weeks has you feeling loads better.

Buy Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Best instructional weightlifting book about. Will teach you how to deadlift, powerclean, bench press and press properly too. There's also a DVD you can buy.

Cheers Millsy. I've been pointed to a club who will give me some pointers and get me safely shaped up. But I'll see if I can get a copy of this too.

Cheers Millsy. I've been pointed to a club who will give me some pointers and get me safely shaped up. But I'll see if I can get a copy of this too.

What kind of club is it? If it's some kind of globo-gym fitness type thing I'd probably avoid it. But if it's a decent weightlifting/powerlifting club go for it.

So trying to eat high protein foods, but its difficult as my partner wont want to eat all the high protein stuff, I dont mind cooking for myself but she will get the hump a bit.

from what I can gather grilling chicken breast and grilling steaks is the way to go, with plenty of greens...broccoli & asparagus and so on...

read alot about egg whites and fish...trouble is im not a big fish lover. and dont have a clue how to prepare egg whites properly.

Either way just cutting out all the fizzy drinks, chocolate & crisps for five weeks has you feeling loads better.

Are you trying to cut fat or gain muscle?

gain muscle in the main...after six weeks I seem to have shrunk the beer gut....but would like the muscles in the stomach to come through.

not the biggest build of character...so yes gain muscle...however one of the reasons why I started my little fitness regime was that my mate pointed out that I had developed a bit of a gut! leg raises, crunches, bent knee & normal sit ups ive been going a bit mad with...but I have been trying to strengthen all areas....probably in the stomach 60% arms 30% legs 10% category...

any advice food wise & supplements wise would be greatly appreciated....have definitly got bigger in just six weeks all over is more defined.....six pack now evident when I lie down.....sorry for sounding so vein:)

not the biggest build of character...so yes gain muscle...however one of the reasons why I started my little fitness regime was that my mate pointed out that I had developed a bit of a gut! leg raises, crunches, bent knee & normal sit ups ive been going a bit mad with...but I have been trying to strengthen all areas....probably in the stomach 60% arms 30% legs 10% category...

any advice food wise & supplements wise would be greatly appreciated....have definitly got bigger in just six weeks all over is more defined.....six pack now evident when I lie down.....sorry for sounding so vein:)

What height and weight are you and how much weight do you lift in the big 3 (Bench, Squat, Dead Lift)? Need that to get an idea of what advice you need (although I think I've a fair idea).

What height and weight are you and how much weight do you lift in the big 3 (Bench, Squat, Dead Lift)? Need that to get an idea of what advice you need (although I think I've a fair idea).

ok well have been considering joining a gym...have scoped a few out...the one closest to me is the best but the most expensive....

Anyway, im doing most of my stuff outside and at home obviously so its easier if I tell you what I do rather than give a silly answer....I dont have a long bar just a set of york dumbells 7.5kg on each, an excercise mat...an iron gym (thats basically an excercise frame that you can hang from a doorframe to do pull ups and it can be used for press-ups) some training gloves for my dumbells and thats about it....

as mentioned in an earlier post for about six weeks been following an sas personal trainer guide...beginner and have been doing the following...

as warm up - 1.5m run
stretches...

then strength training without weights: 15 press ups, 15 crunches, 15 lunges, 3m break, 15 leg raises, 15 dips (have to balance between kitchen units) 15 bent knee sit ups, 3m break, 15 calf raises(standing one foot on bottom stair, one on floor stretching up) 15 thigh hand slide, 15 chins...pull ups. (pretty weak at this can manage 4 overarm pull ups and 4 underarm pull ups...meant to do 15 suprisingly) 3m break then 15 leg raises again, 15 rear scissors and 15 sit ups....

that finishes the work without weights then I move onto dumbells..

dumb bell laterals 5kg - 10-12
seated dumb bell presses 7.5kg 15-18
dumb bell flyes 7.5kg 16-20
squats...hoding both dumbells 7.5kg back straight knees bent to the floor and back up...squats I take it? 20
pullovers 7.5 kg 20

then I do standing and sitting just raising the dumbells normally 7.5kg for as long as I can...when I cant lift one arm I use my over arm to lift but let the weight fall for negatives.

finish off with 15 press ups on the iron gym and then drink the nasty shake once i am done.

In terms of your questions I cant answer them because I dont have a long bar(which is obviously hampering me or a proper bench) so I honestly dont know what I can Bench, squat & dead lift but bear in mind im not the biggest build nor do I have 24 inch pythons like hulk hogan :)

my routine is getting me results...im definitly bigger and stronger in a short time ....but obviously my routine is getting a little bit boring now so Im either going to have to buy a longbar & a bench or join a gym I guess.

5'10 tall and weigh 10-11 stone.

Last edited:
ok well have been considering joining a gym...have scoped a few out...the one closest to me is the best but the most expensive....

Anyway, im doing most of my stuff outside and at home obviously so its easier if I tell you what I do rather than give a silly answer....I dont have a long bar just a set of york dumbells 7.5kg on each, an excercise mat...an iron gym (thats basically an excercise frame that you can hang from a doorframe to do pull ups and it can be used for press-ups) some training gloves for my dumbells and thats about it....

as mentioned in an earlier post for about six weeks been following an sas personal trainer guide...beginner and have been doing the following...

as warm up - 1.5m run
stretches...

then strength training without weights: 15 press ups, 15 crunches, 15 lunges, 3m break, 15 leg raises, 15 dips (have to balance between kitchen units) 15 bent knee sit ups, 3m break, 15 calf raises(standing one foot on bottom stair, one on floor stretching up) 15 thigh hand slide, 15 chins...pull ups. (pretty weak at this can manage 4 overarm pull ups and 4 underarm pull ups...meant to do 15 suprisingly) 3m break then 15 leg raises again, 15 rear scissors and 15 sit ups....

that finishes the work without weights then I move onto dumbells..

dumb bell laterals 5kg - 10-12
seated dumb bell presses 7.5kg 15-18
dumb bell flyes 7.5kg 16-20
squats...hoding both dumbells 7.5kg back straight knees bent to the floor and back up...squats I take it? 20
pullovers 7.5 kg 20

then I do standing and sitting just raising the dumbells normally 7.5kg for as long as I can...when I cant lift one arm I use my over arm to lift but let the weight fall for negatives.

finish off with 15 press ups on the iron gym and then drink the nasty shake once i am done.

In terms of your questions I cant answer them because I dont have a long bar(which is obviously hampering me or a proper bench) so I honestly dont know what I can Bench, squat & dead lift but bear in mind im not the biggest build nor do I have 24 inch pythons like hulk hogan :)

my routine is getting me results...im definitly bigger and stronger in a short time ....but obviously my routine is getting a little bit boring now so Im either going to have to buy a longbar & a bench or join a gym I guess.

5'10 tall and weigh 10-11 stone.

Your routine is getting you results because you are a novice, and absolutely anything will get you results. Your results are not optimal and they will slow up/stop within the next 5-6 weeks (in terms of muscle growth, weight loss may continue depending on your diet).

I'll leave it to you on whether you want to follow my advice or not, but I was once in your situation doing 50 different exercises with high repetitions using low weight, waking up the next day sore thinking that was a great workout, looking in the mirror thinking my routine was fantastic because I put a few ounces of muscle on in the first few weeks.

So here it is. Get yourself strong. The fastest way for a novice to gain muscle mass is to get strong. By get strong I'm talking a bodyweight bench press, x 1.5 time bodyweight Squat and a 2x Bodyweight deadlift (minimum).

Either buy a barbell a squat rack and a bench, or join a gym that has these things. Forget all the press-ups, flys, calf raises, laterals etc etc etc and concentrate on the big compound movements (Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Overhead Press and Chins). Why? Because these movements use the most muscle, and movements which use the most muscle allow you to lift the most weight, and lifting big weights gets you strong.

Learn how to do the lifts properly. Squat below parallel, knees out, back in extension, toes turned out about 30 degrees with your knees tracking over them as they go down

Train 3 times a week (non-consecutive days Mon-Wed-Fri for example). Squat and Deadlift everyday for the first few weeks and start light, alternate bench press and overhead press (note this is with a barbell) each workout. Every single workout add 5kg to your deadlift and 5kg to your squat. Depending on your genetics, you will eventually not be able to recover from this, at that point, start to alternate Deadlift with powercleans or another back exercise (eg Rows) if you don't want to learn how to powerclean.

With your bench and press add 2.5kg each workout. Do Chins every single workout.

In terms of sets and reps, all you need is 3 sets of 5 reps on the bench, OH press and Squat and one set of 5 on the deadlift (harder to recover from). If you learn how to powerclean do five sets of 3.

Diet wise - You seem pretty keen to not gain too much fat. You don't need to over think this, but to get strong you need to eat big.

At minimum get 1.2g protein per lb bodyweight per day Protein shakes help immensly with this, as do chicken, steak, pork and eggs. Carb wise fruit, potatos, pasta and rice are your best friends. Eat as much green vegetables as you want.

My suggestion would be 3 meals a day containing a plam sized protein portion, two fistfuls of carbs and green veg plus 3 protein shakes with milk spread out throughout the day. Don't just jump straight into it though (fat gain city if you do) work up to it in terms of quantities.

If you want to do 'cardio' HIIT on a Saturday. Nothing else. Does not burn muscle like jogging or other lower intensity stuff. Sprints etc etc.

Continue to add 5kg to your squat and deadlift per workout and 2.5kg to bench and OH press per workout until you stall (i.e can't complete the 5 reps on any of the sets). Once you do that reset 10% until you get back to where you were then start going up in smaller increments.

Once you can't get any heavier on any of the lifts, you can concentrate fully on what you want (6 pack, sport, bodybuilding).

If you do the above, learn the lifts, be consistent with your diet and continually add weights to your lifts for the next 12 weeks, you will come out the other side a beast.

Your routine is getting you results because you are a novice, and absolutely anything will get you results. Your results are not optimal and they will slow up/stop within the next 5-6 weeks (in terms of muscle growth, weight loss may continue depending on your diet).

I'll leave it to you on whether you want to follow my advice or not, but I was once in your situation doing 50 different exercises with high repetitions using low weight, waking up the next day sore thinking that was a great workout, looking in the mirror thinking my routine was fantastic because I put a few ounces of muscle on in the first few weeks.

So here it is. Get yourself strong. The fastest way for a novice to gain muscle mass is to get strong. By get strong I'm talking a bodyweight bench press, x 1.5 time bodyweight Squat and a 2x Bodyweight deadlift (minimum).

Either buy a barbell a squat rack and a bench, or join a gym that has these things. Forget all the press-ups, flys, calf raises, laterals etc etc etc and concentrate on the big compound movements (Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Overhead Press and Chins). Why? Because these movements use the most muscle, and movements which use the most muscle allow you to lift the most weight, and lifting big weights gets you strong.

Learn how to do the lifts properly. Squat below parallel, knees out, back in extension, toes turned out about 30 degrees with your knees tracking over them as they go down

Train 3 times a week (non-consecutive days Mon-Wed-Fri for example). Squat and Deadlift everyday for the first few weeks and start light, alternate bench press and overhead press (note this is with a barbell) each workout. Every single workout add 5kg to your deadlift and 5kg to your squat. Depending on your genetics, you will eventually not be able to recover from this, at that point, start to alternate Deadlift with powercleans or another back exercise (eg Rows) if you don't want to learn how to powerclean.

With your bench and press add 2.5kg each workout. Do Chins every single workout.

In terms of sets and reps, all you need is 3 sets of 5 reps on the bench, OH press and Squat and one set of 5 on the deadlift (harder to recover from). If you learn how to powerclean do five sets of 3.

Diet wise - You seem pretty keen to not gain too much fat. You don't need to over think this, but to get strong you need to eat big.

At minimum get 1.2g protein per lb bodyweight per day Protein shakes help immensly with this, as do chicken, steak, pork and eggs. Carb wise fruit, potatos, pasta and rice are your best friends. Eat as much green vegetables as you want.

My suggestion would be 3 meals a day containing a plam sized protein portion, two fistfuls of carbs and green veg plus 3 protein shakes with milk spread out throughout the day. Don't just jump straight into it though (fat gain city if you do) work up to it in terms of quantities.

If you want to do 'cardio' HIIT on a Saturday. Nothing else. Does not burn muscle like jogging or other lower intensity stuff. Sprints etc etc.

Continue to add 5kg to your squat and deadlift per workout and 2.5kg to bench and OH press per workout until you stall (i.e can't complete the 5 reps on any of the sets). Once you do that reset 10% until you get back to where you were then start going up in smaller increments.

Once you can't get any heavier on any of the lifts, you can concentrate fully on what you want (6 pack, sport, bodybuilding).

If you do the above, learn the lifts, be consistent with your diet and continually add weights to your lifts for the next 12 weeks, you will come out the other side a beast.

Thanks for all that, what you say makes alot of sense.

Basically im doing good things but yours seems a more effective and quicker way for me to achieve the results I want. What I will probably do is continue with my routine for now as I get married May 10th and then im off on honeymoon for two weeks.

I reckon Ill sign up to a gym and give your advice a spin for 12 weeks.......

Its true what you say about being a novice and any activity will show results... since I have decided not to be such a lardy ass my sleep patterns have improved and because im doing these excercises every day I have such a major appetite.... keep trying to snack on nuts (not the salted variety) and drinking nourishment...basically high protein foods between meals....my partner reckons she's never seen me eat so much... just try and listen to my body and with all the extra strain it requires feeding regulary...

just one slight observation .....I take it your suggested routine will mean I will pack on muscle and gain raw strength....however that would obviously impact on my speed and agility....(not that im a goalkeeper or anything).....basically I would be heavy and slow??? you did say after the 12 weeks I could work on other stuff though so perhaps I could redress the balance then?..

thanks for the advice...post honeymoon im gonna give it a shot....just worried that I may need someone to take the weights off me (partner not up to it) and whether she will be impressed when we both go to the gym and I just hit the weights.....either way gonna give it a go and consider the six weeks gone by as my initial preparation for the hard work to come.

Thanks for all that, what you say makes alot of sense.

Basically im doing good things but yours seems a more effective and quicker way for me to achieve the results I want. What I will probably do is continue with my routine for now as I get married May 10th and then im off on honeymoon for two weeks.

I reckon Ill sign up to a gym and give your advice a spin for 12 weeks.......

Its true what you say about being a novice and any activity will show results... since I have decided not to be such a lardy ass my sleep patterns have improved and because im doing these excercises every day I have such a major appetite.... keep trying to snack on nuts (not the salted variety) and drinking nourishment...basically high protein foods between meals....my partner reckons she's never seen me eat so much... just try and listen to my body and with all the extra strain it requires feeding regulary...

just one slight observation .....I take it your suggested routine will mean I will pack on muscle and gain raw strength....however that would obviously impact on my speed and agility....(not that im a goalkeeper or anything).....basically I would be heavy and slow??? you did say after the 12 weeks I could work on other stuff though so perhaps I could redress the balance then?..

thanks for the advice...post honeymoon im gonna give it a shot....just worried that I may need someone to take the weights off me (partner not up to it) and whether she will be impressed when we both go to the gym and I just hit the weights.....either way gonna give it a go and consider the six weeks gone by as my initial preparation for the hard work to come.

If you are worried about speed, learn to powerclean properly and include that in the program. Doing HIIT on a Saturday will also help, although towards the end of your linear progression that might be a struggle (squating 150kg and deadlifting 180kg for reps on a Friday then HIIT on a SAt is never fun). For agility just throw some very simple and not taxing agility drills in before your HIIT, and do mobility work.

The wonder of gaining strength is that it has a direct impact on absolutely everything you do atheletically, so post linear progression, you can pick up on whatever you want to and it will come back pretty quickly. I've just finished a linear progression and am now about to embark on a 12 week conditioning program with weighted sleds to bring my conditioning and speed back up. Once I'm finished, I'll be fitter (because I'm stronger and a stronger person is a fitter person) and faster (because absolute strength is a component of power).

Regarding taking the weights off you, I'm assuming you mean a spotter? You shouldn't need one until farily late on in the program providing you eat enough calories and proteins to continue to drive your strength up. Find a gym with a power rack with pins so you don't need a spotter for squats, you'll never need one for OH press or deads, the only one potentially is Bench but as I said that shouldn't come for a while.

Regarding your other half, just go for a walk on the treadmill or do some mobility work with her. Whatever you do, do not do any long distance running stuff on the treadmill.

If you are worried about speed, learn to powerclean properly and include that in the program. Doing HIIT on a Saturday will also help, although towards the end of your linear progression that might be a struggle (squating 150kg and deadlifting 180kg for reps on a Friday then HIIT on a SAt is never fun). For agility just throw some very simple and not taxing agility drills in before your HIIT, and do mobility work.

The wonder of gaining strength is that it has a direct impact on absolutely everything you do atheletically, so post linear progression, you can pick up on whatever you want to and it will come back pretty quickly. I've just finished a linear progression and am now about to embark on a 12 week conditioning program with weighted sleds to bring my conditioning and speed back up. Once I'm finished, I'll be fitter (because I'm stronger and a stronger person is a fitter person) and faster (because absolute strength is a component of power).

Regarding taking the weights off you, I'm assuming you mean a spotter? You shouldn't need one until farily late on in the program providing you eat enough calories and proteins to continue to drive your strength up. Find a gym with a power rack with pins so you don't need a spotter for squats, you'll never need one for OH press or deads, the only one potentially is Bench but as I said that shouldn't come for a while.

Regarding your other half, just go for a walk on the treadmill or do some mobility work with her. Whatever you do, do not do any long distance running stuff on the treadmill.

Well After much thunking I reckon I will be happier converting my garage into my own little fitness room once im back from honeymoon...I have looked at the stuff on Argos and am a little unsure....got some questions for you :)

1 - Floor guards are essential I take it? any recommendations?
2 - Best Bench & squat stand & weight set any recommendations?
3 - Do I need a 7 inch barbell?
4 - do I need a weights belt for the heavy lifting?

Basically I have an idea to pad out the concrete floor with guards, buy a rowing machine (as a warm up for the heavy lifting to follow) Buy a decent bench & squat stand possibly so I can add attachments....and on the argos website is a decent dip stand for about £60 atm...I already have an iron gym for the doorframe to do pull ups, might also buy one of those abs bench for sit-ups.

On another note...very interesting what you said about training alternate days mon,wed,fri, the dangers of overtraining. Read a book by Mark Little all about Mike Mentzer a very accomplished bodybuilder along with Arnie in his heyday... the book basically states its much more effective to do short intense workouts always working the muscles to the point of failure and then getting adaquate rest in order for the body to compensate for the work done and build the extra layer of muscle due to the stress put on said muscle (basically workout no longer than 40-45 minutes but absolutley punish yourself to the point of exhaustion.

he likens muscle growth similar to the bodys reaction to the sun....when you sunbathe your skin goes red (initial shock) the skin pigments & strengthens (tan) but to much exposure to the sun and we blister and the sunlight causes damage to the skin.....he says its the same with weight training in that too much damages the bodys reserves and will lead to muscle loss.

I have plenty to think about and im definitly set to get my own garage sorted into my own gym...I just want to make sure I get decent equipment and whether or not the rowing machine is a good idea as a warm up to the free weights programme to follow?

Thanks for the excellent advice to date and hopefully you can give this novice some more answers to his impertinent questions.

Enjoying using my nutri-bullet to make decent smoothies every morning now

Spinach, apple, strawberries, raspberries, grapes, watermelon, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, goji berries and some sliced ginger, blend it for 60 secs, wallop

Prep, drink, clean-up in 5 mins

Back