• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***The official health and fitness thread***

Fitness people I need advice.
I play indoor footy once a week and for past couple weeks my rught hammy had been painful when I kick/run.
Whats the best thing for sorting it?
I'm going to skip a few weeks games and need to know what else to do.

Did it happen initially during a sudden movement or has it just come on over time?

Yep this is 100% correct, but in terms of weight loss/gain, how it's metabolised doesn't really matter. Of course you need carbs, protein, and fat, but the source of the carbs (strictly from a fat loss point of view) doesn't really matter.

From a health, nutrition and performance perspective then I'd always advise whole foods but there is no need to stop eating chocolate when trying to lose body fat providing your macros and overall calories are in check. Obviously eating whole foods makes it much easier to do this. Yep, the fat thing is another thing that does my head in.

Here is a good article that explains things farily well in terms of macros and calories for someone starting out, although it's written more from the weight gain perspective.

http://barbellmedicine.com/2012/07/29/584/

Funny you mention that…I have switched to dark chocolate when I want an occasional 'fix' and it's superb! Funny thing is how quickly the taste buds change. The likes of Bounty bars, etc, are waaay too much for me now, I don't like the taste!

One other thing I always think is really interesting is the whole concept that all skinny people are fit and all bigger guys aren't. Now there's myth if ever I knew one!

Over time, wasnt a sudden 'ouch' moment

Sounds like a very minor strain or tightness possibly brought on by scar tissue from a previous injury.

Get yourself a foam roller and do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WErpKRJFQ3A on both hamstrings.

Also get yourself a hockey or tennis ball (I prefer hockey as it gets in deeper) and do the same thing concentrating on the area you have identified to be the problem during the foam rolling (note, it will be f*cking sore). Take a week or two off football and do this everyday (or twice if you can find the time). Important to keep using the muscle during recovery so you can go for a very light cycle on a stationary bike or something like that (note, when I say very light, I mean very light, you shouldn't be out of breath at all and resistance should be on the lowest setting). Plenty of stretching too.

Go back to football but continue with the above for a few weeks as well (minus the bike), and see how you feel. If it's still bothering you, go and see a physio for a full assessment (it could be coming from lower back, changes in your gait, multiple things and without anyone seeing you in the flesh these things won't be found out).

Good luck! Let us know how you get on with it!

I'm thinking about trying a martial art. From your experiences which would you suggest is a good one to try? I guess there will be a fair amount of conditioning in a class as well?

If it's knackering then surely it must be good for you? :-k

Are you seeing benefits? what 'type' of martial art is Muay Thai? Glad you started?

It's like kickboxing, you kick, elbow, knee and punch. It definitely gets your heart rate going. Really glad I started. Only done 4 sessions so far.

I've just turned 29 and like you am wondering what I've done with my life. I've decided I'm going to train this year and get to a standard where I'll have a fight next year.

A quick google suggests there's Jiu Jitsu and mixed martial arts classes near me. Tempted by those.

It's like kickboxing, you kick, elbow, knee and punch. It definitely gets your heart rate going. Really glad I started. Only done 4 sessions so far.

I've just turned 29 and like you am wondering what I've done with my life. I've decided I'm going to train this year and get to a standard where I'll have a fight next year.

Good luck mate…a great thing to aim for.

I'm thinking about trying a martial art. From your experiences which would you suggest is a good one to try? I guess there will be a fair amount of conditioning in a class as well?

Depends why you want to do a martial art. Fitness? Self-defence? Competition? For example if it was for self-defense, BJJ might not be the best option as you would want to learn striking as a priority, and then ground work -so MMA, muay thai, Kyokushinkai full contact karate. etc. first. Once you have decided why you want to do it, go and have chat with a few people at local gyms/classes.

It is really really important to get a good instructor... and perseverance is required, a lot of people give up after a few months, but while you can pick up some useful stuff within/months, like many things it takes years of regular training to get properly good. And don't go anywhere they hand out brightly coloured belts like confetti.

Anyway I thought you were going travelling :)

Sounds like a very minor strain or tightness possibly brought on by scar tissue from a previous injury.

Get yourself a foam roller and do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WErpKRJFQ3A on both hamstrings.

Also get yourself a hockey or tennis ball (I prefer hockey as it gets in deeper) and do the same thing concentrating on the area you have identified to be the problem during the foam rolling (note, it will be f*cking sore). Take a week or two off football and do this everyday (or twice if you can find the time). Important to keep using the muscle during recovery so you can go for a very light cycle on a stationary bike or something like that (note, when I say very light, I mean very light, you shouldn't be out of breath at all and resistance should be on the lowest setting). Plenty of stretching too.

Go back to football but continue with the above for a few weeks as well (minus the bike), and see how you feel. If it's still bothering you, go and see a physio for a full assessment (it could be coming from lower back, changes in your gait, multiple things and without anyone seeing you in the flesh these things won't be found out).

Good luck! Let us know how you get on with it!

Excellent advice --are you a physio? Or you have dodgy hamstrings?

Excellent advice --are you a physio? Or you have dodgy hamstrings?

Not a physio, just dodgy hamstrings and a vested interest in training/recovery!

Broke my leg badly playing football at 17, years later started getting recurring hamstring injuries. Physio reckoned that the leg break altered my gait (right foot arch collapsed) and that is the source of my problems.

Just had my well man medical you have when reaching 40

I'm in absolute tip top condition, cholesterol low, blood pressure very good, pulse and BMI awesome, low blood sugar level too, I've a very low ratio chance of stroke and heart, my risk age is 35, so 5 years younger than I actually am, really pleased by all that....

I'm in absolute tip top condition, cholesterol low, blood pressure very good, pulse and BMI awesome, low blood sugar level too, I've a very low ratio chance of stroke and heart, my risk age is 35, so 5 years younger than I actually am, really pleased by all that....

Glad to hear it mate.

Bet your looking forward to the prostate exam aint you;)

Only problem i have these days is a bad back so can not complain, sun shinning all is good.

Good stuff Marky, just remember these are the years not to take it for granted and to make sure you keep on the right path my friend. Well done though. Genetics, BTW, are very helpful to note, a look at your folks will tell you what you have to look forward to/not look forward to as the case may be!

Any of you guys take any supplements?

I've started taking ZMA as I was intrigued by the apparent benefits. It's basically zinc, magnesium and vitamin b6. One of it's benefits is apparently sleep and I would say I've been sleeping better since I've started taking it.

I'm also taking vitamin D as I've read it can boost your energy levels. It might be working, it might not be, but can't hurt?

Back