• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
Question: Why's the English media and the English FA trying to claim the moral high ground on this whole 'racism' thing?

I don't recall the English media setting up tents outside The FA's plush Wembley Stadium HQ when it was announced that John Terry - a man up on a charge of racial abuse - would be representing the country? It seems that this is conveniently forgotten, presumably in the hope that - with him in the side - England might redress its embarrassing record at tournaments. I honestly don't think the English FA have any firm ground to be making any sort of comments on this; just smacks of complete and utter hypocrisy.

Yep. Nor the act the we regularly deal with hissing and general anti-Semitic songs. Why are they suddenly so interested?

Question: Why's the English media and the English FA trying to claim the moral high ground on this whole 'racism' thing?

I don't recall the English media setting up tents outside The FA's plush Wembley Stadium HQ when it was announced that John Terry - a man up on a charge of racial abuse - would be representing the country? It seems that this is conveniently forgotten, presumably in the hope that - with him in the side - England might redress its embarrassing record at tournaments. I honestly don't think the English FA have any firm ground to be making any sort of comments on this; just smacks of complete and utter hypocrisy.

Would never defend Terry normally, or the FA, or the media for that matter, but right now he's an innocent man.

Once his trial is done, and if he's found guilty, I fully expect the papers to go mad.

My hero!

keith_int.jpg

View attachment 679

Really happy for Pavly. He left Spurs to play in Euro and now he has proved his worth again. It was a brilliant individual goal, surely it would be one of the best goals of the tournament. His assist for Russia's third goal was also crucial as they seemed like throwing away the game until then. The donkey Kerzhakov was wasting chance after chance and it was only a matter of time before Czech find the equaliser. Fortunately, Super Pav came and rescued them. I was very confident he would score when he came on and so he proved.

This is what Spurs missed last season, someone who could come on and score goals when needed. For me, Pav is one of the best striker to have played for Spurs in recent times. He just gives you this confidence that he would score whenever he gets near the goal.

isnt the tournament just like an acid test for Terry?

if he makes the whole tournament without joining in his charges get dropped

Really happy for Pavly. He left Spurs to play in Euro and now he has proved his worth again. It was a brilliant individual goal, surely it would be one of the best goals of the tournament. His assist for Russia's third goal was also crucial as they seemed like throwing away the game until then. The donkey Kerzhakov was wasting chance after chance and it was only a matter of time before Czech find the equaliser. Fortunately, Super Pav came and rescued them. I was very confident he would score when he came on and so he proved.

This is what Spurs missed last season, someone who could come on and score goals when needed. For me, Pav is one of the best striker to have played for Spurs in recent times. He just gives you this confidence that he would score whenever he gets near the goal.

Happy for him as well, the goal showed what his skill is, btw the above comment about Pav being the "worse" of anything re players I've seen at Spurs, maybe if you have started supporting Spurs in 2012.

I give Harry credit, but his inability to leverage Pav/Kranjar's abilities to shoot from range and or create goals from nothing is so frustrating when having seen game after game this season where other teams defend 11 deep and we try to walk the fudging ball into the net.

I remember last year someone posted a sporcle a day while we were in between seasons. Someone feel free to do the same again this year. This is a great start.

Pretty furious seeing Terry's and Cole's mugs showing their concerned and humble face on their visit to Auschwitz. I only hope they were thinking of those hissing noises they hear at least twice a season from their own fans and feel a bit embarrassed.

Pretty furious seeing Terry's and Cole's mugs showing their concerned and humble face on their visit to Auschwitz. I only hope they were thinking of those hissing noises they hear at least twice a season from their own fans and feel a bit embarrassed.

They didn't go to Auschwitz, they were in the group that visted Schindler's Factory.

Terry has been accused of something, the due legal process is being undertaken and I'm sure the FA will react appropriately based on the result of that case. That's the grounds on which they are perfectly right to make comment. Don't see any problem with it.

I actually think the whole thing is a conspiracy to distract from poor ticket sales across the whole tournament. Make it sound like people aren't going because of the racism and threats of violence, when actually both the English and Dutch FAs had only sold around half their ticket allocations before all of these media expos?®s started being published/broadcast.

UEFA didn't ensure that the promised hotels were built, or that the pricing for the ones that already exist was controlled.The fact is that all the top quality hotels were allocated to the sponsors, and even the teams had second pick.

Funny comment about the FA's offices being plush. Have you ever been there? I was given a tour not long ago and can assure you they're a long way from luxurious :ross:

Two unbelievable games to open the tournament in a group no one was expecting much..

You just know both games tonight will be draws

Terry has been accused of something, the due legal process is being undertaken and I'm sure the FA will react appropriately based on the result of that case. That's the grounds on which they are perfectly right to make comment. Don't see any problem with it.

I actually think the whole thing is a conspiracy to distract from poor ticket sales across the whole tournament. Make it sound like people aren't going because of the racism and threats of violence, when actually both the English and Dutch FAs had only sold around half their ticket allocations before all of these media expos?®s started being published/broadcast.

UEFA didn't ensure that the promised hotels were built, or that the pricing for the ones that already exist was controlled.The fact is that all the top quality hotels were allocated to the sponsors, and even the teams had second pick.

Funny comment about the FA's offices being plush. Have you ever been there? I was given a tour not long ago and can assure you they're a long way from luxurious :ross:

As you ask, I have been there; 5 times as it goes, as I did a small piece of work on behalf of one of their partners. And I can assure you, the Executive Offices which adjoin the Bobby Moore Room - are incredibly plush and salubrious. But that's irrelevant...

See, your statement is all good and well - outlining the technicalities of law, something we all fully understand. Except for one small thing: the FA have already prejudged John Terry, in how they've stripped him of his captaincy! They haven't waited for the outcome of anything; a knee-jerk decision, one which Fabio Capello disagreed with so much with, that he resigned his position over.

So, my point still stands here: how the hell can The FA take the moral high ground with anyone, when they've obviously prejudged that John Terry is a racist and unfit to captain his country...yet include him in the England National Team? Okay, go ahead and do that if you want but - for fudge sake - don't make complete idiots of yourself by making out you're some holier-than-thou organisation, falling over yourself to pour criticism on Poland/Ukraine.

As an aside, at most companies I've worked for, if I was arrested - let alone stand fudging trial(!) - for something as potentially reputationally damaging as racial abuse, then - in the first instance - I'd probably expect to be suspended for it; nice bit of gardening leave on full-pay, until the outcome was established. The FA hasn't done that though. The act of stripping John Terry of the captaincy is to demonstrate public humiliation and disgust - yet, if he's "innocent 'till proven guilty, m'lord" - then why the need to do that?

As others have commented, English football still has a racism problem - The FA may wish to deny that, as it's incredibly embarrassing - but the fact still remains, doesn't it? You don't even need to scratch that deep below the surface to uncover it: take the Luis Suarez affair, and the conduct of Liverpool FC all of the way through it - one might reasonably ask why The FA didn't move to censor Liverpool FC for their abysmal behaviour; laughing in the face of what was an incredibly serious incident on the field of play? If ever an incident brought disrepute upon English football, 'the Luis Suarez affair' would very much be challenging for gold medal status. No firm FA sanction though - they just impotently looked on. Yeah, really 'kicking racism out of football' there lads, well done - back slaps all 'round :rolleyes:

Personally - and each to their own - but I found the image of John Terry trotting around the grounds of Auschwitz very distasteful; came across - to me - as an empty, hypocritical gesture, and one which I have absolutely no doubt he doesn't feel any sincerity towards. How ridiculous are The FA going to look if - allowing me to hypothesise here - he's found guilty of racial abuse? :| Just how stupid, hypocritical and hollow will the English FA look, for taking the English National Team to the site of the most outrageous display of racial intolerance - only for one of them to be found guilty of racism themselves? If it wasn't so serious, you'd actually find the sheer incompetence rather funny.

I'd say Bernstein's position would be wholly untenable. What you propose is this blind, after-the-event action - the sort of reactive nonsense which is always justified with people bemoaning lack of foresight; that 'hindsight is a wonderful thing' - as if they're completely incapable of pre-empting anything. Well, if John Terry is found guilty, then - never mind the scumbag himself - The FA deserve every single word of criticism which they'll receive from the brickstorm which they'll have created.

Well done to that guy with Shirokov, Dzagoev and Lewandowski

I'm tinkled about that, as I had to ship him out in favour of Afinfeev in goal. Had no idea he wasn't starting :ross:

I haven't even used all ?ú100m, my lot only cost ?ú97m. So many of the expensive players just don't seem to do it for their country, so no point littering my team with 'names' just for the sake of it.

I also had Akinfeev in goal (transferred him in moments before the tournament started instead of Neuer).. fudge me, how much will that cost me LOL!

I hate when people wheel out the line of innocent until proven guilty. In a court of law yes, but anywhere else it doesn't apply and nor should it. The FA has every right to protect itself and it's brand and image by acting on Terry before anything has been proven as there is enough evidence to tarnish their image.

Anyway back OT, I wish when I'd chosen "other" in the pole is made it clear that my bet to win Euros was Russia. Now I just look like I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

Back