• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
Yep. But I have no love for this team/generation of players. Not like the '90, '96 and '98 sides.

no love for Euro 2004? Our greatest team of the generation? Fit Ledley King, Scholes, form Gerrard, form Lampard, young and hungry Rooney, fit Owen, younger Ashley Cole, younger Gary Neville, younger Beckham. In fact we were a Joe Hart away from doing something special I imagine.

Hodgson said a couple of days ago that he wants to sit down with them and talk. He clearly has them in mind for his first choice centre half pairing.

I think that this was just PR. He has to be seen to be even handed and Terry has too many friends in the red tops for Hodgeson to say straight out that he will not select him. I suspect that Ferdinand will go and Terry will miss out. Ferdinand's full season with Jones and Smalling probably counts for more than Terry's half a season with Cahill. And Terry is a c*nt.

no love for Euro 2004? Our greatest team of the generation? Fit Ledley King, Scholes, form Gerrard, form Lampard, young and hungry Rooney, fit Owen, younger Ashley Cole, younger Gary Neville, younger Beckham. In fact we were a Joe Hart away from doing something special I imagine.

Not especially. I guess my 3 favourite teams all had strong Spurs spines

90 - Gascoigne, Lineker, (Waddle)
96 and 98 - Sheringham, Anderton, Campbell (Venables and Hoddle)

04 was just about King (though he was awesome against France), like 12 will just be about Walker.

--------------------- green -----------------------
johnson --- cahill --- terry --- carragher
beckham --- lampard --- gerrard --- bale
--------------- heskey --- rooney --------------

imo.

Welbeck is class,IMO the second best English striker after Rooney.

England lacks a playmaker like Modric to be a truly top team.Lennon,Walcott,Young and Rooney as a front 4 would be super exciting to watch,especially with somebody feeding them through balls

Welbeck is class,IMO the second best English striker after Rooney.

England lacks a playmaker like Modric to be a truly top team.Lennon,Walcott,Young and Rooney as a front 4 would be super exciting to watch,especially with somebody feeding them through balls

Wheelchair to be honest, but he's injured. and a ****

Wheelchair to be honest, but he's injured. and a ****

Hudds is injured too... Scholes retired 8 years ago... It's a shame, England could have built a nice passing side with those... They'd maybe need Leon Britton as a squad player too, but it'd have been cool to watch.

As for strikers, we're fudged without Rooney. Holt did well against us, but he loses the ball often. Welbeck is brick. Sturridge's form has dropped but he's not a lone striker, Crouch is playing well and scoring goals, but he makes the team go long all the fudging time... Who else is there? Carroll? Zamora?

Maybe a 4-3-3 with a fake 9 until Rooney can play? I don't think you can build a good team for England's first few games.

Even if Roy does go for a 4-3-3, who can he pick?

Hart - Awesome.

Walker/Richards, Rio/Terry, Cahill, Cole - Slightly less awesome.

*****, Parker, Lampard? - I guess Milner plays, which is a shame as Wheelchair/Hudds would work better.

Lennon, *****, Young. - No one can replace Rooney here.

Subs: Sturridge (out of form left footed striker that plays in a front 3), Barry (runs like treacle), Baines, Richards/Walker, Holt/Welbeck/Crouch...

He has no hope at all.

Croatia will be my second team, they've got a tougher group though. :/

I would have supported the Netherlands as my third team, but supporting RVP will make me feel dirty...

Maybe Germany? (Ewwww)... Spain (They've had their time.)

-----------------Hart------------------
Walker---Ferdinand---Cahill-----Cole
----------Parker-----Gerrard----------
Lennon--------Rooney--------A.Young
----------------Welbeck----------------

When Rooney is available please. Until then, Hodgson could play a standard 4-4-2 with Welbeck next to Defoe? I just think the line-up above is sound defensively, has pace on the flanks and, most importantly, John Terry is nowhere near it.

I really, really hope you are right. I have trouble explaining to my six year old what a complete danchev this guy is without swearing. My ten year old understands he is a racist pig thug though! Can't cheer on a team with him playing in it I'm afraid

Haven't seen this mentioned here or elsewhere but was amazed by Shearer, David James etc saying yesterday that Terry & Rio making up and played together for England at the Euros was more important than the racist abuse case that Terry faced.

Kick it out? Shows just how sincerely football takes racism issues. Really surprised at david James though.

I'd go with something likethis...

........................Hart

Richards....Ferdinand...Lescott.....Cole
......................Parker
.......Scholes.............Gerrard
Lennon....................................Young
....................Rooney

........................Hart

Richards....Ferdinand...Cahill/Lescott...Cole

.......Scholes.............Carrick..............

Lennon....................................Young

....................Rooney........................

...................Welbeck........................

Don't massively rate either Lescott or Cahill - or Welbeck, although the latter has surprised me this season.

If you are an optimist maybe Hodgson will do for England what Rehhagel did for Greece.

I would rather that my team goes out in the group stages than wins the Euro in such a boring and lucky way.Greece will always be remembered as the side that played the bricktiest football and won the euros somehow.

I would rather that my team goes out in the group stages than wins the Euro in such a boring and lucky way.Greece will always be remembered as the side that played the bricktiest football and won the euros somehow.

but they'll also be remembered as Euro 2004 winners..

Back