• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** The Official Boxing/UFC/MMA thread ***

I think he meant Hearn giving Wilder a 50/50 split in a fight with Joshua, I might have read it wrong though.

Fury v Joshua is the end game isn't it? If it all goes to plan anyway. I'm still sort of rooting for Whyte to ruin everyone's plans haha.
He did. My point is that Hearn won't put his cash cows in with anyone half-decent until he's forced to. Not at any split.

I think he meant Hearn giving Wilder a 50/50 split in a fight with Joshua, I might have read it wrong though.

Fury v Joshua is the end game isn't it? If it all goes to plan anyway. I'm still sort of rooting for Whyte to ruin everyone's plans haha.

Yes Hearn was not going to give Wilder 50/50 in a UK fight is what I meant, no chance. I can see Fury being fine with 50/50 with Wilder in the States considering it'll be fairly decent money so early into this comeback. Also rooting for Whyte to get involved somewhere too.

It's on BT Box Office over here I see, so I expect Fury to be a total nut job over the comings months to try and push that buy rate, considering his comeback fights so far... good luck with that.

I fancy Fury to box rings around him in a fairly boring fight right now, if Wilder can hurt him early doors it may push Fury to be more aggressive and maybe open it up even more, but Wilder IMO is not a great boxer, poor footwork but has massive power. Fury is quick, a pretty good boxer and has, for his size, immense footwork, not a good style clash for Wilder IMO.

Yes Hearn was not going to give Wilder 50/50 in a UK fight is what I meant, no chance. I can see Fury being fine with 50/50 with Wilder in the States considering it'll be fairly decent money so early into this comeback. Also rooting for Whyte to get involved somewhere too.

It's on BT Box Office over here I see, so I expect Fury to be a total nut job over the comings months to try and push that buy rate, considering his comeback fights so far... good luck with that.

I fancy Fury to box rings around him in a fairly boring fight right now, if Wilder can hurt him early doors it may push Fury to be more aggressive and maybe open it up even more, but Wilder IMO is not a great boxer, poor footwork but has massive power. Fury is quick, a pretty good boxer and has, for his size, immense footwork, not a good style clash for Wilder IMO.

How do you interpret what happened between Wilder & Ortiz in terms of this fight? Ortiz was a very slick boxer (slicker than Fury for me) and he made Wilder look awful for much of the fight (the judges scorecards were a total joke). Wilder was able to get through and hurt him though, more than once and in the end, decisively. Do you think Fury can succeed where Ortiz failed? We know Fury can be hurt and for me, his success vs. Klitschko had as much to do with Klitschko's caution as anything else. I don't see this being a factor with Wilder.

How do you interpret what happened between Wilder & Ortiz in terms of this fight? Ortiz was a very slick boxer (slicker than Fury for me) and he made Wilder look awful for much of the fight (the judges scorecards were a total joke). Wilder was able to get through and hurt him though, more than once and in the end, decisively. Do you think Fury can succeed where Ortiz failed? We know Fury can be hurt and for me, his success vs. Klitschko had as much to do with Klitschko's caution as anything else. I don't see this being a factor with Wilder.

I think Ortiz showed a good blue print, he just couldn't sustain it for 12 rounds and I think Fury will be better prepared for that, got a bit more in the tank than Ortiz, more youthful, no blood pressure problems etc.

I don't particularly like Fury but I think he's a great boxer, The Wlad fight was a strange one as Wlad looked pretty average but it did show off Fury's boxing and footwork skills and his ability to negate an opponent. These recent fight save just been about getting the rounds under his belt, quite dull too.

His ability to take a punch is interesting though, I think he's been down twice in his career? both against nothing special too. I think if Wilder can catch him he has a chance, if it goes 12 rounds then Fury will win by a very wide margin barring the judges...

I find Wilder entertaining I just don't rate him that highly, his chin is also a bit suspect and though the Ortiz win was good for his record, his opponents have usually been a tad... brick.

I think Fury will be the best technical boxer that Wilder has fought and I think the ability Fury has to adapt to what is infront of him can be underestimated.

Wilder is a KO artist but he is not technically that good, he manages to overpower boxers with crude shots that see him clump alot of boxers with his wrists etc, he won't get that luxury versus Fury.

I think Fury will be the best technical boxer that Wilder has fought and I think the ability Fury has to adapt to what is infront of him can be underestimated.

Wilder is a KO artist but he is not technically that good, he manages to overpower boxers with crude shots that see him clump alot of boxers with his wrists etc, he won't get that luxury versus Fury.

Yeah pretty spot on I think.

The thing I liked so much about him vs. AJ was that both have their weaknesses but I just fancied AJ to smash him with his speed.

Not sure we'll see that fight now... I believe Wilder himself has stated that if Fury wins in Vegas the agreement in place has them fighting again in the UK, so if Fury was to beat him twice I imagine he'll then go to Hearn cap in hand for the pay day, these Fury fights should net him a couple of good paydays, his biggest to date is $2m I believe, which shows you his status IMO...

The thing I liked so much about him vs. AJ was that both have their weaknesses but I just fancied AJ to smash him with his speed.

Not sure we'll see that fight now... I believe Wilder himself has stated that if Fury wins in Vegas the agreement in place has them fighting again in the UK, so if Fury was to beat him twice I imagine he'll then go to Hearn cap in hand for the pay day, these Fury fights should net him a couple of good paydays, his biggest to date is $2m I believe, which shows you his status IMO...

Yeh and also shows where the UK is in terms of selling out PPV and arenas compared to the US where they struggle to sell out smaller venues. THe US is so fragmented in that respect

Are you guys both backing Fury then?

Going to be interesting, I actually hope to be proved wrong but I'm sticking with Wilder by KO. I still haven't seen enough from Fury to convince me of the hype, despite his obvious talent. I'm still of the opinion that the Wlad fight flattered him - yes he is awkward and defensively skilled, but Klitschko didn't attack until the last couple of rounds, and even then fairly half-heartedly. We haven't seen him tested under constant, dangerous pressure yet.

Wilder will do that IMO. And it could very well be a similar outline to the Ortiz fight - Wilder might only need to get through once to end the fight, and Fury does hang his chin out a fair bit.

I just hope it goes ahead...

Going to be interesting, I actually hope to be proved wrong but I'm sticking with Wilder by KO. I still haven't seen enough from Fury to convince me of the hype, despite his obvious talent. I'm still of the opinion that the Wlad fight flattered him - yes he is awkward and defensively skilled, but Klitschko didn't attack until the last couple of rounds, and even then fairly half-heartedly. We haven't seen him tested under constant, dangerous pressure yet.

Wilder will do that IMO. And it could very well be a similar outline to the Ortiz fight - Wilder might only need to get through once to end the fight, and Fury does hang his chin out a fair bit.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but yes I reckon Fury wins, I think if he gets the right camp in and goes in with the right mindset he's going to school him. One thing that always works for Fury is his opponent will always find it hard to get good sparring partners to help get ready for his style, whereas Fury will likely be sparring big punchers and getting his footwork ready to dodge, dodge, dodge.

I do want Wilder to catch him though because that will make it interesting, kinda like how Wlad vs. AJ really kicked on when Wlad put him on his arse? that kinda fight would be nice...

And yeh let's hope it does go ahead because it will likely set off some really big matches in the division.

If I am honest I am torn and probably making a case for Fury because out of the two I like him, I know he can be a loon but I don't care what anyone says, going to Germany and schooling Vlad was one of the most appreciated feats in recent boxing and if he can produce that then I think he beats Wilder. Ortiz was the best shape he had been against Wilder and the best Wilder has fought and he schooled him until the KO and Wilder looked lost in my opinion.

Where I am siding with Wilder is that regardless of who he fought, the record stands and he usually gets someone in the end

I haven't seen enough of Wilder to comment but he looks a bit wild and gettable, what we haven't seen is can he take a punch? I think he's relied so long on his KO power that he hasn't really needed to adapt so far and doesn't have a plan B. I would have liked to see Fury have one more warm up fight against a semi decent opponent, seems very rushed for a fight of this level after being out for so long.

I haven't seen enough of Wilder to comment but he looks a bit wild and gettable, what we haven't seen is can he take a punch? I think he's relied so long on his KO power that he hasn't really needed to adapt so far and doesn't have a plan B. I would have liked to see Fury have one more warm up fight against a semi decent opponent, seems very rushed for a fight of this level after being out for so long.
You're probably right but all Fury will do is train a bit harder so he can keep his sniffy, twitchy, jerky, ducky, divey, slippy routine going for as long as possible and if he avoids being hit cleanly will outpoint Wilder easily, but if he gets hit...it's lights out.

Luis Ortiz absolutely threw the kitchen sink at Wilder (7th round?). He stayed upright, but from memory was visibly rocked. Whether that says more about Wilder's durability or Ortiz's punch power, I'm not certain...

I do agree on Fury though, it does seem a little soon. Then again, maybe it makes sense. If he'd waited, most of the big fights could have gone ahead with him involved. Personally though, I won't be 100% convinced its happening until they're physically stepping through the ropes...

If he beats Wilder do you think it has to be 400% Joshua next?

Honestly, I think whoever wins, Joshua's April date would be too soon. Rarely do superfights happen that close together, so I don't see the winner of a December Wilder/Fury wanting to face Joshua in mid-April.

I think the best scenario would therefore be for Joshua (assuming he comes through Povetkin) to have his rematch with Dillian Whyte in April. The Wilder/Fury winner could then take a lower key fight (or not) before facing Joshua (again assuming he comes through) towards the end of next year.

Now what a 12 months that would be. Far too good to be true of course...

Didn't Frank Warren say after the Pianeta fight that the details of this would be announced 'next week', ie., what is now last week...?

Hmmm...

Back