• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** The Official Boxing/UFC/MMA thread ***

pacquiao-ko-marquez.gif

No getting up from that

Great knockour by Marquez - Pacquiao was doing well offensively last night but managed to keep himself open on a number of occassions where Marquez could counter.

B.J. Penn was awful against Rory Macdonald last night, he got his ass well and truly handed to him. Shame on Macdonald for not trying to knock him out though, he was there for the taking but wanted to show off.

Great knockour by Marquez - Pacquiao was doing well offensively last night but managed to keep himself open on a number of occassions where Marquez could counter.

B.J. Penn was awful against Rory Macdonald last night, he got his ass well and truly handed to him. Shame on Macdonald for not trying to knock him out though, he was there for the taking but wanted to show off.

Penn wasn't great but like the commentator said.. Macdonald is one of the first of the new breed that started training in all areas of MMA from a young age.. unlike the old school fighters where you could say he was a great wrestler in college, or that guy was Judo champion etc.
Macdonald was on another level and just picked him apart. It's sad to see some of the legends going down like that but still the future of the sport is definitely exciting with fighters like Macdonald around.

Penn shouldn't be fighting at WW, he is a natural 155'er and fights at WW like some stubborn bloke trying to make a point and its dented his legacy.

Hasn't got the cardio or power to hang with the likes of Rory or Nick Diaz, he would have done Fitch if he had the cardio.

Condit finishes Rory in their rematch IMO, as good as the lad is I can't stand him and look forward to watching him get a good kicking someday.

Anyone else think that pacquiao knockout was similar to when Garcia laid out Kahn? I think Roach and pacquiao took the wrong approach in that fight.
Roach is a very overrated coach who got lucky with Pacman, Khan has gone backwards his last few fights, check his record with his other fighters. Dont buy the hype with him. Couldnt work Marquez out in 4 fights, Mayweather bossed him from start to finish and would have done the same with Pacquiao if it had happened.

Good boxing tonight on Boxnation (River)

Groves vs Johnson
Saunders vs Blackwell
O'Meara vs Smith
Buglioni vs Healy

Ross Pearson TKO'ed Sotiropoulos and Hector Lombard got over his UFC jitters to destroy Palhares last night at UFC on FX 6, both good to watch, other two fights on card were great too.

UFC 155 TONIGHT!!!!!!! Cain Velasquez vs Junior dos Santos rematch, been waiting for this for over a year.

so what's the predictions for tonight gentleman? :p

JDS via KO/TKO

Cain has no chin, JDS has immense take down defence, JDS takes it.

This [-o<

Gonna watch it tomorrow morning though so will need to avoid the results. (I wonder if and when MMA results would ever make it to SSN Updates?)

Do you think Sky Sports would ever compete for the rights for UFC PPV events. I'm sure money is not really an obstacle in terms of blowing out Five or ESPN etc. The popularity of MMA has already well overtaken other crappy sports that they show on SS3 and 4 for example.

This [-o<

Gonna watch it tomorrow morning though so will need to avoid the results. (I wonder if and when MMA results would ever make it to SSN Updates?)

Do you think Sky Sports would ever compete for the rights for UFC PPV events. I'm sure money is not really an obstacle in terms of blowing out Five or ESPN etc. The popularity of MMA has already well overtaken other crappy sports that they show on SS3 and 4 for example.
Sky Sports will try to get the rights for it when it becomes more popular in the U.K. At the moment, it's nowhere near as popular as boxing in this country, but the gap is closing at a remarkable rate - I wouldn't be surprised if they did so within two years, though.

Anyway - JDS v Velasquez. I'm gonna go for a JDS TKO in the third round, although I feel that Velasquez will be a much better match for the champ than in the first bout. It's gonna be a great fight, both are explosive fighters - and as we saw before, it can all end very quickly. I'm gonna watch it tomorrow, can't wait.

P.S. the UFC 156 card looks amazing

Last edited:
james you seem really clued up on ufc and up o date on the going ons. Is there a weekly program or anything you watch? all i know is when the ppvs are on and record them is there anything else to watch as such?

james you seem really clued up on ufc and up o date on the going ons. Is there a weekly program or anything you watch? all i know is when the ppvs are on and record them is there anything else to watch as such?
Nah not really, I tend to watch fights after their PPVs or stay up and watch a card on occasions. There isn't really much else on over here for the UFC, no sort of catch up show that I know of anyway. My advice would be just to keep on doing what you do and record the PPVs and watch them the next day!

I'll be staying up as long as I can, prelims will do for now.

WestBerks, I would recommend you keep an eye on some of the MMA news sites, best being www.mmafighting.com IMO, they do a weekly show called the MMA hour which you can also get on iTunes that keeps you up to date on everything MMA, not just UFC.

Sky have shown one series of The Ultimate Fighter so they know the UFC is on the rise, they would never go PPV though, doesn't really work in this country, especially events that start at 3am.

Back