• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2018/19 Premier League Thread

Ohhh...sneaky.....do we have the same??

Yep. Looks like the only reason not to be on the official poppy site was concern about diluting the channel strategy.
01_88379-00002.jpg

He's also wearing the kind of grey trackie top normally issued to underlings by Bond villains, except that this one has been scribbled on in purple crayon.

So I don't think we have to follow his lead.

How much of a bellend would you have to be to only buy a poppy if it had your football club crest on it?

Indeed yes, if that were the only reason for buying a poppy then your description would be apt. But I don’t believe that would be the case.
For most people it will be instead of what they would have bought anyway or, for many, it will be in addition to the paper poppy. Either way it’s more money for the charity.
I don’t see the harm (or crassness) in it at all.
(And the thing I do like about ours is it does not have the club name on it, just the badger emblem).

If it encourages more folks to give money to the appeal i do not see what harm it is.

I think that the poppy and football thing has got completely out of hand this last ten years. It is a very recent phenomenon and there are very few links between the two. It is undoubtedly a good cause but that doesn't mean that this is a good idea. Take That poppies would probably sell well too, I'd think that they were crass too.

I think that the poppy and football thing has got completely out of hand this last ten years. It is a very recent phenomenon and there are very few links between the two. It is undoubtedly a good cause but that doesn't mean that this is a good idea. Take That poppies would probably sell well too, I'd think that they were crass too.

It’s probably a good cause. As in, the RBL presumably do good work. I’m ambivalent about poppies, though. It’s not clear enough whether they are celebratory or elegiac. And there’s something unsatisfactory about commemorating later deaths, in justifiable wars, with iconography from WW1, which was indefensible.

When the semiotics are so confused, mixing them up with unrelated symbols of tribalist loyalty is definitely a bad idea, and more so than Take That poppies would be. It definitely suggests that the emblem is glorifying rather than lamenting the sacrifice, and in the context of the WW1 centenary that feels spectacularly wrong.

It’s probably a good cause. As in, the RBL presumably do good work. I’m ambivalent about poppies, though. It’s not clear enough whether they are celebratory or elegiac. And there’s something unsatisfactory about commemorating later deaths, in justifiable wars, with iconography from WW1, which was indefensible.

When the semiotics are so confused, mixing them up with unrelated symbols of tribalist loyalty is definitely a bad idea, and more so than Take That poppies would be. It definitely suggests that the emblem is glorifying rather than lamenting the sacrifice, and in the context of the WW1 centenary that feels spectacularly wrong.

I'd be interested in knowing how Poch wearing one is viewed in Argentina.

Well Stop! Hammer time, as i say anything that gets folks to stick their hands into giving for these type of things is ok for me. Yer p ays y er money and takes your choice.

Last edited:

elegiac.
a : of, relating to, or consisting of two dactylic hexameter lines the second of which lacks the arsis in the third and sixth feet.
b : sad for old stuff.

Learned a new word :)

Last edited:
Yeah, should just have said mournful instead of giving it the big iamb.
iamb (/ˈaɪæm/) or iambus is a metrical foot used in various types of poetry. Originally the term referred to one of the feet of the quantitative meter of classical Greek prosody: a short syllable followed by a long syllable (as in "above").

Learned a new word :)

Back