• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2017/18 Premier League Thread

Without sounding patronising mate it is refreshing to see someone gracious after what must have been a difficult result!

I've seen us have many, many, many worse results than that. Since we scored 10 home goals all season c. 2005, I really don't mind losing as long as I'm entertained. I appreciate the compliment though!

Getting through that trio and still being no more than 3pts off the Top 4 has to be the target

I think we need a win against at least one of Liverpool or ManU as they're above us. We also have Chelsea later in the season. We need to catch one of those three. It's tempting to write off Arsenal's chances, but let's play them first.

Neither sterling, but they're England's big hope so get a bye.

They have both been fantastic for 95% of the season. They've adjusted and learned from Guardiola superbly. But there are just as many people that underrate England's players as there are that overrate them just because they're English, so I don't blame you for thinking that.

After the Southampton game next weekend we play Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal in our next three games. After those games we can easily be about 10 points off top four, and our league season will be just about over. I know I'm a pessimistic person, but it's looking tough right now to me.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Good GHod man, that Northern Winter light must be getting to you!!!!! Buy yourself a fudging sunlamp, a massive poster of some Caribbean beach and dump some sand in the living room!!!!

Was a great game, shame we lost our heads completely for that ten minutes. A lot of those performances were similar to how we played last season. Fernandinho was off, but he's allowed one this season. So too Sterling. Gundogan is an absolute turkey, and Aguero just doesn't suit us at all.

I felt we nulled Salah and Mane really well, shame we beat ourselves (although those three goals were frankly unbelievable finishes). I fancy you lot to sort them out again, your style of play is a complete antidote to theirs.

This is a key, key analysis. Liverpool played at their maximum. Sans Coutinho they lack intelligence and really only have pace. city were way off-pace today, probably their worst performance of the season (in fact just like we were at Eastlands!) yet the game still swung on two big fat gifts handed to Liverpool. Even then, even amidst a poor performance by standard, City still nearly snuck a draw.

The only thing that's going to help me through tomorrow and having to listen to all the plastic scousers proclaiming they're back in their rightful position, is that all the plastic mancs (of both hues) will be more tinkled off about it than me :rolleyes:

This is a key, key analysis. Liverpool played at their maximum. Sans Coutinho they lack intelligence and really only have pace. city were way off-pace today, probably their worst performance of the season (in fact just like we were at Eastlands!) yet the game still swung on two big fat gifts handed to Liverpool. Even then, even amidst a poor performance by standard, City still nearly snuck a draw.
I have been saying all along that I think we are underestimating Lollerpool and Klopp. All these are just excuses to justify our view, but the reality is they're a pretty good side capable of what they did today and definitely top 4 material.

Not sure I agree with people's analysis of the game

- City got sucked into Pool's tactics, discipline went out the window and they played this hectic overrun game that Pool is very good at.
- Add in a brick game from Sterling, some questionable keeping and yet Pool was hanging on in the end (if City has scored 5 mins earlier, they would have drawn)

Pool is a known quantity, style, attacking ability and weakness, can they make top 4 = yes, are they a shoe in = no
Honestly feel if we and Cheat$ki play consistently until end of season, Pool is out of top 4, if either slip, Pool has enough firepower to pick up points.

Fact is games like this is where Pool won't miss Coutinho, where they will is against the teams (almost everyone else in league) who will sit deep, soak it up and look to hurt them on counter, those games they will need a little more guile than thump it to a runner with an overcommitted attack. Klopp's Pool is pretty much the same as Rogers, overreliance on an attacking three.

HAVING to score 4 at home to win a game is not the mark of a good side.

I watched the first half, and if City were able to get into first gear as opposed to staying in neutral the game would have been over by HT such was the space Klopps team left to be exploited.

They attack very well, nobody denies that, but that isnt enough.

For the last 20 seasons, teams finishing above Arsenal would be assured of finishing in top 4 in the league. That won't be the case this season, it seems. We are ahead of Arsenal by 5 points but are still only in 5th place. The emergence of Liverpool as a top 6 team under Klopp will make it a very tight top 4 race this season.

I have been saying all along that I think we are underestimating Lollerpool and Klopp. All these are just excuses to justify our view, but the reality is they're a pretty good side capable of what they did today and definitely top 4 material.

Spot on!
The top 6 are tonight are roughly in right order - City are way out in front be cause they are the most consistent.
Man U are hard to to beat. Liverpool bloody good at home. Chelsea are having a strange wobble. We are a little hot and cold and suffer when teams park the bus against us. Arsenal are very strange, average at best. What's puzzling is there no outside reason for thier poor situation, it's totally self inflicted.

HAVING to score 4 at home to win a game is not the mark of a good side.

I watched the first half, and if City were able to get into first gear as opposed to staying in neutral the game would have been over by HT such was the space Klopps team left to be exploited.

They attack very well, nobody denies that, but that isnt enough.

"Very well" is a little disingenuous. For me they are up there with City going forward but the similarities end there.

Not at all. I think there are classes apart between them and City attacking.

They attack particularly well on the break with a little space, and very well in general. City attack quite brilliantly, its a whole other level.

And thats what Klopps team is based upon, purely outscoring the opposition, Ardilles style. There is no balance to his side, no defence to speak of, its just a mental breakneck rush to score as many as they can because they sure as hell will let some in.

I think Klopp's Liverpool are very one dimensional, even more so now. I think that one of the club's at the lower end of the table will work out how to shut them out and everyone will copy it.

Even if that doesn't happen until next season. I think that they will drop enough silly points for us to catch.

Looking at the fixtures the others have got, I think it's quite likely we'll have consolidated 5th but fallen further behind in the top 4 race by the end of Feb. I think we've been pacing ourselves for the three big games we've got coming up, and I expect that to continue at St Mary's, but if I had to put money on it, my bet would be 4 points out of the 9.

Looking at the fixtures the others have got, I think it's quite likely we'll have consolidated 5th but fallen further behind in the top 4 race by the end of Feb. I think we've been pacing ourselves for the three big games we've got coming up, and I expect that to continue at St Mary's, but if I had to put money on it, my bet would be 4 points out of the 9.

I agree - 5th was my preseason prediction for us and I've seen nothing to change that!
Chelsea though look a little vulnerable and that has surprised me, so you never know.

Back