• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The new, new manager thread - Pt 3

I like your positivity African, but it's hard to be positive when we keep chopping and changing managers.

No manager has stayed longer than 4 seasons under Levy. How can we have stability if our Chairman keeps wielding his axe and not giving them time to put things right. I question Levy's decision to let AVB go to be frank. He wasn't as bad as some of us are making him out to be. AVB is 3rd in the top 20 managers of the club's history with a 55% win record with Frank Brettell and Arthur Turner coming 1st and 2nd respectively.

We HAVE stability. It comes from running a sound business. Coaches and players are replaceable cogs in the machinery. Just look at our league positions over the last decade.

What hasn't been fully implemented yet is a style of play (like Barca or Ajax), but apparently the youth teams are playing 4-3-3. Hopefully the focus is on skill and not just physicality and they work on movement and pressing.

Everyone's (well, my) favourite twitter scout and opinionator Tor Kristian Karlsen says that Poch is the best option and who he would go for.

https://twitter.com/karlsentk (Tweet was in Norwegian so I didn't include the actual tweet)

No reason to think that this indicates that Poch is on his way by the way, Karlsen very rarely shares information like that.

What did the tweet actually say brainclipse?

"@marius_johnsen5 beste option etter min mening, jeg ville forsøkt å hente han". As a response to "@karlsentk Tanker om Pocchetino til Spurs??"

Which roughly translates to Poch being the best option and who he (Karlsen) would go for.

What makes you say that? I think we've had two genuine top 4 calibre squads under Enic (Jol and early Redknapp) and a squad capable of an outside title push in 11/12 - we've put 100m+ In to the current squad - what makes you think we're uncapable of providing the coach with the required tools?

it's always just a bit short, we never spend that extra few quid to get the right guy in, we were bombing along nicely under redknapp, right there with united and city but we didn't strengthen in January, had we done so we could easily have won the title

under AVB, the the tale goes, another few quid and we could have had Moutinho

we're not short a few bob, why not get that quality in just once and see what we can do

it's always just a bit short, we never spend that extra few quid to get the right guy in, we were bombing along nicely under redknapp, right there with united and city but we didn't strengthen in January, had we done so we could easily have won the title

under AVB, the the tale goes, another few quid and we could have had Moutinho

we're not short a few bob, why not get that quality in just once and see what we can do

Whatever we do we're always going to be short of something else until we're winning titles every season - our target for the time being is to challenge the top 4 (whilst we sort the stadoum business out) - do you disagree with my earlier post saying we've had 3 top 4 capable squads in recent times? A lot of people think AvB should have got 4th also - so where do you stand on that season?

Bojz9JIIgAANJOe.jpg

the Martinez comparison is a little pointless as he was at a side facing relegation but the Rodgers stuff is interesting as Swansea/Southampton were clubs in similar circumstances with similar aspirations

I think it's more to do with the fact that Everton signed Martinez at the end of that season, his stats weren't appealing but we all knew what he was about. Stats arent the be all and end all of everything like fans think. If you showed someone those statistics, you'd think Poch was the better of the three, but now you see that Martinez has moved on from Wigan and got his impressive philosophy drilled into an Everton side that ended up fighting for fourth and ended up finishing fifth and Rodgers who did the same with Liverpool and had them fighting for title up until the final day of the season.

Whatever we do we're always going to be short of something else until we're winning titles every season - our target for the time being is to challenge the top 4 (whilst we sort the stadoum business out) - do you disagree with my earlier post saying we've had 3 top 4 capable squads in recent times? A lot of people think AvB should have got 4th also - so where do you stand on that season?

I agree, that was a failure as well, I'm not deluded, I don't expect us to win titles (yet), but I do expect us to try and finish as high as we can

I think both Harry and AVB we're let down at crucial times

cont.

I think the next guy will get let down as well, he'll get frustrated, get annoyed with levy, who'll return the sentiment, and here we are again 18 months later

I think it's more to do with the fact that Everton signed Martinez at the end of that season, his stats weren't appealing but we all knew what he was about. Stats arent the be all and end all of everything like fans think. If you showed someone those statistics, you'd think Poch was the better of the three, but now you see that Martinez has moved on from Wigan and got his impressive philosophy drilled into an Everton side that ended up fighting for fourth and ended up finishing fifth and Rodgers who did the same with Liverpool and had them fighting for title up until the final day of the season.

Exactly. This beats everyday.

110557-roberto-martinez.jpg

Still, quite impressive stuff from Poch.

I agree, that was a failure as well, I'm not deluded, I don't expect us to win titles (yet), but I do expect us to try and finish as high as we can

I think both Harry and AVB we're let down at crucial times

without wanting to open a can of worms here - of course both could have been backed 'better', but that is probably true for every club who operates on a sustainable model - you don't get every player you want in the market, very rarely at least. it does seem as though AVB was provided with some players who didn't fit his style - but he should have been able to get a better result out of those he was provided with with, in many peoples view. Redknapp, well done to death - maybe a new striker would have seen us over the line, but then the position we was in we didn't really need something to see us over the line, we wasn't in danger of slipping away - we was out in front and playing well - the court case and his obvious desire to manage England probably left Levy thinking it would be foolish to sign a player up on 10m and a 4 year 60k+ contract when the manager who signed him may well not be here the following season.

anyway i don't think either example denies the point that we have built several squads capable of reaching our target of 4th, which brings me back to your initial post which i quoted where you said you didn't think ENIC were capable of providing the manager with the right tools - i think the examples given have shown that they have done that on more than one occasion and i have no doubt that the new manager will be similarly provided with a squad good enough to reach our targets - it'll be up to him to make the most of it.

Bit worried about so much talk that Poch will come along with the identical system to Southampton and we need to buy players in x position to suit it etc.

For me a great coach adapts to the tools available and therefore tweaks it to suit.

what evidence is there of that, did he adapt tactics for different games when players were injured? How did he play at Espanyol?

Back