• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Inbetween Transfer Windows Rumour Thread

I'm going to get massively slated for this, but I would look to bring in Downing on loan.

Yes, he's not brilliant, but he's a good player, probably attainable and, crucially, provide decent cover for either wing - even left back, too.

Janaury's not a time for marquee signings, but for a bit of a bargain, and a temporary lift.

You're absolutely correct.

You are going to get massively slated ;)

It's obviously a joke. Nobody could seriously think that signing Downing would be a good idea. :)

It came out earlier today that Drogba had asked FIFA for special dispensation to leave his club in China on loan somewhere and now it's emerged that Chelsea are in talks to bring him back.

I'm going to get massively slated for this, but I would look to bring in Downing on loan.

Yes, he's not brilliant, but he's a good player, probably attainable and, crucially, provide decent cover for either wing - even left back, too.

Janaury's not a time for marquee signings, but for a bit of a bargain, and a temporary lift.

'Arry? Is that you?

It came out earlier today that Drogba had asked FIFA for special dispensation to leave his club in China on loan somewhere and now it's emerged that Chelsea are in talks to bring him back.

From where!? (polite question) Scoring the winner in the Champions League final then moving to China for a final payday then thinking, oooh you know what i'll go back and play 5 or 6 more games until my new season starts. He's a mug if he returns.

Chelsea want to bring Didier Drogba back to the club on an extraordinary loan before the winter transfer window and they have started discussions aimed at making it happen.

The European champions, who sacked their manager Roberto Di Matteo on Wednesday morning, have grown so concerned at the form of Fernando Torres that they hope to secure a temporary reunion with Drogba.

The centre forward, who left Chelsea for Shanghai Shenhua in the summer, has reached the end of the Chinese Super League season and he has a window in December before he reports for the Africa Cup of Nations with Ivory Coast at the beginning of January.

Drogba has asked Fifa for special permission to move on loan from Shanghai outside of the official transfer window and the game's governing body has confirmed that it is considering the request. "The Fifa administration services are looking into it," a spokesman said.

Even if Fifa relented and Chelsea were allowed to sign Drogba on a short-term contract, he could not play in their must-win final group match against Nordsjaelland on 5 December. Champions League teams must register their squad lists for the group stage with Uefa in September before their first match.

Drogba scored Chelsea's equaliser in the Champions League final against Bayern Munich last May, together with the winning penalty in the shootout, and he might have stayed at the club if they had offered him the two-year contract that he wanted. But Chelsea said that they intended to build the attack around Torres and Drogba left as a Bosman free agent.

Torres has struggled desperately in recent weeks and the nadir for him came on Tuesday night at Juventus, when he was dropped for the 3-0 Champions League defeat that precipitated the departure of Di Matteo, despite the club's only other recognised striker, Daniel Sturridge, being injured.

Chelsea are expected to move for a new striker in January, with Atlético Madrid's Radamel Falcao and Andre Schürrle of Bayer Leverkusen prominent on their wish list. But if Fifa allow it, Drogba could help them out until then.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/nov/21/chelsea-didier-drogba-china-loan

Falcao is nailed on, imv, dingdongo

Yeah I was thinking Chelsea are just about done with Torres now too so it could be Falcao and one other.. Whoever they get it won't be Carlton Cole so it can only be bad news for the rest of us

Was it the 36 games last season without a goal or an assist that convinced you?

Your're right that it's difficult to do business in the january window, but really there's no point in weakening the squad. Even though he's been a bit hit and miss, I'd definately prefer to develop Townsend rather than loan/buy Downing.

Was it the 36 games last season without a goal or an assist that convinced you?

Your're right that it's difficult to do business in the january window, but really there's no point in weakening the squad. Even though he's been a bit hit and miss, I'd definately prefer to develop Townsend rather than loan/buy Downing.

Not sure I've seen anything from Townsend to suggest he's ready to, potentially, step in and play 5 games in a row, should Lennon's injury problems persist. Downing would provide very good cover for both wings, and prior to last season was consistently good - just never brilliant.

I really think January's about wheeling and dealing, especially for a club like ours, with limited resources. We need to be looking at out of form players, those out of favour or those returning from injuries.

Frankly, if we can somehow grab Downing as cover for the wings, Micah Richards for RB, and Torres, I'd be delighted. None are perfect signings, but in the circumstances, they'd be great.

Back