• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Guardian's Top 100 Players in the World

Dembele is an athletic Modric with a better shot. Okay he isn't quite as good as Modric, but he is more well rounded. Modric was never obviously amazing, nor did he chip in with many goals and assists, yet we all know how good he was/is.

Is anyone going to have a go at their own 100? I will but, will have to do a bit of research.
This post will be updated.

I'm going to structure it as unbiasedly towards certain positions as I can so I'll try to rank in relative excellence in their positions.
Why is Luis Suarez no. 21?
1. Messi
2. Ronaldo
3. Iniesta
4. Xavi
5. Van Persie
6. Falcao
7. neuer
8. Lahm
9. Chiellini
10. Pique
11. Xabi Alonso
12. Schweinsteiger
13. Silva
14. Casillias
15. Gomez (finisher I know but, he is the best at it bar falcao)
16. Robben
17. Ribery
18. Thiago Silva
19. Kompany
20. Vidic
21. Bale
22. ------------- I'll be back and the people may change around a bit, injury revelations and futher research in terms of form may be needed.

Falcao should be higher than Van Persie and that for me is why this all fails, it's all based on opinion. You said that Gomez is the best at it other than Falcao, so what does Van Persie offer, if it isn't finishing?

The list doesn't set out to be anything other than opinion though. Mind you they have Gareth Bale down as a defender??? No wonder he's rated lower than all those others!

Falcao should be higher than Van Persie and that for me is why this all fails, it's all based on opinion. You said that Gomez is the best at it other than Falcao, so what does Van Persie offer, if it isn't finishing?

How do you define 'finishing'? Where does a 'finish' become a 'long shot'? Van Persie might not be as clinical from 6-12 yards but he scores a shedload from 18+, and is the master of volleying ridiculously awkward balls. How can you classify such ability under a word such a 'finishing' when there are a million types of shot which in any instance require variable levels of different skills?

It is always going to be impossible to rank players. No player can objectively be the best as they all contribute slightly different skillsets. Also, if you play in an amazing team that is set up around your talents (Messi, Ronaldo), then obviously your ability will be maximised and in playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world you will immediately be considered as very good even if you are not necessarily as talented as your reputation suggests.

It is a futile task, there are too many nuances in the game. To classify 'world class' players might be a bit easier - those in a group where they could legitimately be called the best in their position. 99% of people would class Messi as better than Falcao, but Falcao could be called the best striker in the world as he is better in some areas than Messi and would be more useful than Messi depending on the context - for example if you want a striker who will be an aerial threat from crosses.

Similarly I said Dembele was one of the best CMs in the league the other day, but obviously he, Carrick and Yaya Toure offer very different skills. They could all legitimately claim to be the best in the league in their position though, IMO.

One point on Messi though, in a way it's easy to play in a system and environment that you've been brought up on and everything is set up for you. Ronaldo has carried an otherwise solid but not exceptional Portugal team to a decent finish in a major tournament and won success with two major clubs in different countries, different systems and so on...Messi seems to choke occasionally in big games for me too often when I've seen him and when has he done it consistently for Argentina? He's been largely average to poor for them. To be compared to Maradona he still needs to step it up. Maradona won the Serie A title with a pretty average Napoli team and won the world cup pretty much single handedly again carrying an average team...

Back