• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The glorious march to CL qualification

But Sissoko was as big a joke as Nkoudou and Janssen until this autumn. And since then he's perfectly filled the Dembele shaped hole
I disagree. In his first season he was poor, but last season he became a reasonable squad player (evidenced by him making 47 appearances last season). Granted he stepped up further this season and has become a deserved first choice player, but he was already a long way ahead of Nkoudou and Janssen last season.

But Sissoko was as big a joke as Nkoudou and Janssen until this autumn. And since then he's perfectly filled the Dembele shaped hole
He’s filled it differently and equally as effectively as Dembele. My point was about recruitment of replacements.

I’ve spent most of the season thinking the PL had one good team, one team getting away with cheating, one ok team and 17 crap ones.

It’s 18 crap ones.

Losing 12 games and getting CL will be laughable.

How can you lose that many and still get top 4?

It’s not like the standard of the league is good this year either.

Losing 12 games and getting CL will be laughable.

How can you lose that many and still get top 4?

It’s not like the standard of the league is good this year either.

Because we've won 23 games? That number of wins has been good enough for a CL spot in most seasons. It was even good enough for Leicester to win the bloody thing.

I agree though, that 12 losses is too much for this team. We should do better in that respect. But overall, if we get CL, we've earned it.

Because we've won 23 games? That number of wins has been good enough for a CL spot in most seasons. It was even good enough for Leicester to win the bloody thing.

I agree though, that 12 losses is too much for this team. We should do better in that respect. But overall, if we get CL, we've earned it.

Who ever finishes 3rd/4th deserves it

But that doesn’t stop the standard being poor

In the past few weeks We have lost to West Ham, Southampton and Burnley - Arsenal have been destroyed by Leicester, Wolves and lost to Palace at home.

Not to mention the games we have sneaked a result like Cardiff at home

In the past few weeks We have lost to West Ham, Southampton and Burnley - Arsenal have been destroyed by Leicester, Wolves and lost to Palace at home.

Manure snuck a result against us. Arse too, and Liverpool just a few weeks back, had their share of luck to beat us. It happens to everyone, except, it seems, Liverpool and City who have been in a league of their own.

If we win our two remaining fixtures, we'll geet third with 76 points. It's a point total that would get third place (sometimes better) in most PL seasons of the last decade. Despite both us and our top four rivals doing our best not to get a CL spot in recent weeks - that, I agree, is pretty poor - the overall standard of the PL has not IMO been poor this season.

I think whoever secures top four will do so with a fairly similar points total to what has been required in most years recently.

According to my magic excel-sheet the max losses a club has had and still made top 4 is 15, and that feat was done by Chelsea in 1997-98, as they lost 4 at home, and a whopping 11 away, but still finished 4th behind Liverpool and ahead of Leeds.
The median and average is 9.

The average goal difference for 4th is +27.

(Edit, this is just since the start of Premier League)

Our squad is too thin and this was always going to happen wasn't it? You know losing Kane, Lamela, Sissoko and Kane for a semi final of the champion's league. Who knows, had he spent some money and provided a bit more cover, particularly in mid field, we would not have been so exposed and would have had an outside chance of qualifying for the final. After that who knows what could happen. Poch was right, he needed to be brave. We will never have a better chance than this to win a champion's league

I might be misguided but I honestly believe that we tried to get a 1st team player in but they didn't want to come, nothing unusual in that, but I think the difference was that where normally Levy would have got us a squad player of questionable standards Poch didn't want a squad player and told Levy not to waste his money. Outcome no new signings.

Not Levys fault, not Poch's fault, not the tea ladies fault, sometime brick just happens and then it sucks to be us

Manure snuck a result against us. Arse too, and Liverpool just a few weeks back, had their share of luck to beat us. It happens to everyone, except, it seems, Liverpool and City who have been in a league of their own.

If we win our two remaining fixtures, we'll geet third with 76 points. It's a point total that would get third place (sometimes better) in most PL seasons of the last decade. Despite both us and our top four rivals doing our best not to get a CL spot in recent weeks - that, I agree, is pretty poor - the overall standard of the PL has not IMO been poor this season.
Agreed. I think the overall standard of the PL has increased (as is natural when you consider that all 20 PL teams are probably in the top 40 football clubs in the World for turnover). Everton are a good team, Wolves are a good team, Leicester are a good team and the likes of West Ham, Bournemouth and Watford aren't bad either.

I disagree. In his first season he was poor, but last season he became a reasonable squad player (evidenced by him making 47 appearances last season). Granted he stepped up further this season and has become a deserved first choice player, but he was already a long way ahead of Nkoudou and Janssen last season.

Bang on - If you asked Poch, Sissoko will have already been a big part of the squad last year and someone he could trust (He was never as bad as was made out on here). Also, he was being played a little out of position in a lot of games (maybe too high up). He's only really nailed down the B2B midfielder role this season.

Bang on - If you asked Poch, Sissoko will have already been a big part of the squad last year and someone he could trust (He was never as bad as was made out on here). Also, he was being played a little out of position in a lot of games (maybe too high up). He's only really nailed down the B2B midfielder role this season.

Well I did asked Poch and he said

“leave me along or I’ll call the police”

I think 12 losses is totally acceptable for a squad that has not been added to in a whole year and at the same time has been plagued by an usually high level of injuries. Did you really think that if we did not freshen up the squad everything would be smooth sailing.

Heck, I am fecking impressed that we have spent no money in a year and we have still have the chance to finish third again and at the same time qualify for the friggin' semi finals of the Champions League. And you are whinging about 12 loses, I swear some fans are never satisfied.

I think the boys as a group have had a tremendous season all things considering

I think 12 losses is totally acceptable for a squad that has not been added to in a whole year and at the same time has been plagued by an usually high level of injuries. Did you really think that if we did not freshen up the squad everything would be smooth sailing.

Heck, I am fecking impressed that we have spent no money in a year and we have still have the chance to finish third again and at the same time qualify for the friggin' semi finals of the Champions League. And you are whinging about 12 loses, I swear some fans are never satisfied.

I think the boys as a group have had a tremendous season all things considering

Oh I'm very satisfied with this season, and I'm not whining. It's an amazing achievment to be where we are.

I just think we could and should have been able to turn a couple of our losses into draws and wins, even considering our brick luck with injuries.

Back