• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

That is frigging ridiculous, I am all for free market forces etc. etc. but bloody hell, if an agent is getting € 25million (assume Euro) out of a deal, even on a €100m transfer, that is just plain obscene and the football world has gone totally, totally mad.
I am so glad we are not in that spending league. Even if it is to our detriment , I don't want us to ever be in a position where we are spunking money like that.
Football agents are the worst thing that has ever happened to the game.

Sent from my portable microwave

Football agents are the worst thing that has ever happened to the game.

That's a bit of a broad-brush statement. Given how much money there is now, both directly in the game, and for many players, indirectly through sponsorship, image rights etc., there is nothing wrong with the concept of players using the services of third parties to look after their interests. Why shouldn't they? It isn't necessarily a bad thing. Why should a player who has no business acumen, no negotiation experience, no real sense of their potential marketing value, be expected to handle all that by themselves - especially when they would be dealing with club personnel who do have all that experience.
There are without doubt greedy agents who put their own interests above those of their clients -but there must be decent agents out there as well?

That's a bit of a broad-brush statement. Given how much money there is now, both directly in the game, and for many players, indirectly through sponsorship, image rights etc., there is nothing wrong with the concept of players using the services of third parties to look after their interests. Why shouldn't they? It isn't necessarily a bad thing. Why should a player who has no business acumen, no negotiation experience, no real sense of their potential marketing value, be expected to handle all that by themselves - especially when they would be dealing with club personnel who do have all that experience.
There are without doubt greedy agents who put their own interests above those of their clients -but there must be decent agents out there as well?
I'm not disrespecting the job they do (or should do at least), but when where you last quoted €25 million for some pretty standard legal services or investment advice?

I'm not disrespecting the job they do (or should do at least), but when where you last quoted €25 million for some pretty standard legal services or investment advice?

That is clearly ridiculous, hopefully extreme, and firmly in the "greedy agent" bucket.

When my father used to be an agent.... Typically the agent took a 5 to 10% cut from the player. The better the contract they negotiated for the client, the bigger the fee they received. Sometimes my Dad would reduce his cut or even waive his fee completely if it would help one of the players he represented get the move that he wanted.

5 to 10% was a 'fair' fee as the job of an agent wasn't just to negotiate a player's wages upon a transfer/contract renewal, but also negotiations with boot/clothing/watch/car/etc manufacturers, negotiations for public/charity appearances, organising things like driving lessons/tests/MOTs/TV licenses/mortgages/rental agreements/etc, etc. Most players aren't particularly bright (my father even represented one who could barely write) and could easily get exploited without an agent. But I feel that things have now turned 180 degrees and instead of the clubs exploiting players, it is agents that sometimes now exploit players - organising transfers that suit themselves instead of the player.

It is even worse over in South America, where young players will often be pretty much forced to move countries or even continents.

Bayern Munich midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg is set to sign for Southampton in a £12.8m deal, according to Sky sources.

That is a very good signing for them if they pull it off, 20 years old with bags of potential. Mitchell's black box still doing it's thing.

met a fella the other night got chatting and he said he worked for sky, this was by the sky team bus and he did have on a T shirt with sky on it, he said he heard from friends at sky UK that we want Danny ings on loan.

Sky Sports News understands Saudi Sportswashing Machine will demand £35million for France midfielder Moussa Sissoko.

LOL

Southampton have reportedly signed Danish defender Pierre-Emil Højberg for £15 million. That means that next year Liverpool will sign him for £50 million.

Sent from outer space

Back