• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Game Is About Glory Podcast

Great pod as always guys. I thought the reason Bissouma struggled so badly against Wolves was that Lemina (MOTM in my opinion) simply didn't leave his side. I also noticed Yves and Hojbjerg having little arguments on more than once occasion in the first half, so I don't think there is trust between those two to share the ball, play intricate passes together.

But yeah, I think the fact that Lemina man-marked him so tightly also meant Dier and Davies didn't have the confidence to pass him the ball. Sarr was too high up and pitch to provide an alternate option and Pierre isn't great at taking the ball under pressure. So I think all those reasons caused the below par performance on this occasion.
Sarr was playing the maddison role so was meant to be high up
we made more changes than just new players which hurt us more than it needed too
pierre and Bissouma ended up occupying the same space and it meant loads of sideways passing in that sort of midfield

Good post.
Milo, twice when discussing our goal, you said Sarr passed to Hojbjerg who fell over and the ball ran to Deki.
It was Porro who either slipped or dummied the ball to Deki.
Are Gareth and Ricky really so frightened of you that they cannot pull you up?

You're quite right about me getting it wrong. I think that it's a little unfair to blame the others for not picking me up on it, you've quite a lot going through your head whilst recording and I've certainly questioned myself when someone has said something before that I didn't think was right

I think this is an excellent break down of the main issues. Defence was always going to be trial and error, but I too felt the PEH/Bissouma thing was 'off' and you're bang-on with Sarr...it is Monday and I am still annoyed at Lo Celso's total lack of wherwithall to stop that quick free-kick!!!!!!

I don't think that he was close enough to stop it1000015525.png

Can't remember if it was Gareth or Ricky who said it but I'm glad someone else noticed how flimflam the coverage was. Still watching replays whilst the ball is back in play so the picture cuts to us having lost the ball from a goal kick with no idea what's happened, time and time again (worsened by how much we kept in losing the ball of course!).

I wish there was a no BS mode you could put it on, if the ball is in play I'd like a wide shot to see what's going on, it shouldn't have to be said it's so obvious. Not a fan of being fed endless replays of half chances or fans / managers picking their nose if it cuts in to the actual football.

Can't remember if it was Gareth or Ricky who said it but I'm glad someone else noticed how flimflam the coverage was. Still watching replays whilst the ball is back in play so the picture cuts to us having lost the ball from a goal kick with no idea what's happened, time and time again (worsened by how much we kept in losing the ball of course!).

I wish there was a no BS mode you could put it on, if the ball is in play I'd like a wide shot to see what's going on, it shouldn't have to be said it's so obvious. Not a fan of being fed endless replays of half chances or fans / managers picking their nose if it cuts in to the actual football.
The shadows though were a killer for me
so hard to see things in the darkness

I don't think that he was close enough to stop itView attachment 16358

This shot is a clearer look (the camera also closed in on the ref for a few seconds...there was plenty of time). Sonny trots past the taker; just turn around and take the card/stop it beiong taken fast. Lo Celso, having had the poor decision against him, is too passive. He needs to react and sprint up to stop it being taken. Especially in the last minute of a game like that. I'll put it down to fatigue and rustiness respectively.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 7.47.29 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 7.47.29 PM.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 3
This shot is a clearer look (the camera also closed in on the ref for a few seconds...there was plenty of time). Sonny trots past the taker; just turn around and take the card/stop it beiong taken fast. Lo Celso, having had the poor decision against him, is too passive. He needs to react and sprint up to stop it being taken. Especially in the last minute of a game like that. I'll put it down to fatigue and rustiness respectively.

There's quite a few errors in there, not just allowing the quick fk, as you say son and glc, the scorer trots past Peh who totally let's him go, royal does not know who to go to.
It's a catalogue of errors, imo harsh to single out one player.

There's quite a few errors in there, not just allowing the quick fk, as you say son and glc, the scorer trots past Peh who totally let's him go, royal does not know who to go to.
It's a catalogue of errors, imo harsh to single out one player.
Yes our midfield sleeping and Gil on cloud nine...a fair point, and one I believe stands as clearly when talking about the first concession too (with regards to singling out specific players when there's a collective responsibility).
The truth is, we let ourselves down after the first 15 mins! The problems started then!

Yes our midfield sleeping and Gil on cloud nine...a fair point, and one I believe stands as clearly when talking about the first concession too (with regards to singling out specific players when there's a collective responsibility).
The truth is, we let ourselves down after the first 15 mins! The problems started then!

First goal dier clears it out and we have time to regroup, instead we switch off, similar to the second.
Can't see ange being happy with what effectively amounts to two pretty basic lapses in concentration.

Between The Sticks
Season 4 Episode 23

Steff, Milo, and Ram head into our own box and discuss that most unique of positions – goalkeeper. We look back at some of the greats, the not-so-greats, the memorable, and the beloved to have worn our keeper’s shirt, plus we test Steff’s theory that keepers are ‘the drummers’ of football.

https://thegameisaboutglory.co.uk/

View attachment 16378

No tony parks?

I mentioned him as the backup to Clem who won us the UEFA, in fairness, a fleeting mention (I was there BTW!!!) but as the oldest duffer recording this one, he never had a huge career with us that stuck in my memory beyond that trophy-winning moment!

Probably my best sporting memory is watching that game, 15 home alone and dancing around the room high as a kite when my parents got home.
Those were the days!

Probably my best sporting memory is watching that game, 15 home alone and dancing around the room high as a kite when my parents got home.
Those were the days!

When Robbo smashed the equaliser in, the ensuing explosion on the Shelf (where I had my ST) saw my glasses fly off my face. I miraculously retrieved them but one lens (left one) had been smashed out thus I watched everything in mono-vision from then on. Incredible to think I saw us lift a European trophy at the Lane. Amazing. I went to Madrid in 2019 genuinely believing it would 'better' that night...how naive can ya get?!!!!!

When Robbo smashed the equaliser in, the ensuing explosion on the Shelf (where I had my ST) saw my glasses fly off my face. I miraculously retrieved them but one lens (left one) had been smashed out thus I watched everything in mono-vision from then on. Incredible to think I saw us lift a European trophy at the Lane. Amazing. I went to Madrid in 2019 genuinely believing it would 'better' that night...how naive can ya get?!!!!!
I still have the Spurs cap I wore that night -complete with hole in the top where I had taken it off and chewed it with nerves during the penalty shoot-out!

Great night ( one of the best) and i still have it on tape somwhere. I was next to tears seeing Danny Thomas walking away after seeing his pen saved and thought the game was over. Then up stepped Parks and sent us crazy. Great night.

Just tuned in to the pod. Fantastic tribute to El Tel by Gareth!
I met Terry at Mourneview Park, Lurgan. Spurs were playing Glenavon as part of the Ger McMahon deal. He was a lovely bloke, really friendly. Thanks for the memories.

Agreed re: Gareth. You'd do well to find a better tribute anywhere!

Last edited:
Back