• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

Said it before but all the one day " bash it as hard as you can" meteorology has ruined the art of batting.

yeh sure has, we basically play like a one day team in every innings, I don't see a time now where anyone likes being in bat as a team beyond a day now, its this constant rush to get it over with.

I think Cricket suffers from the amount of games, not because of being tired but there is no value put on winning or losing a test like there is in other sports. Event if you lose a series what are the consequencies? You just end up playing the next team that tours or where you tour, you don't actually lose anything for bad form to an extent.

Said it before but all the one day " bash it as hard as you can" meteorology has ruined the art of batting.

Generally or for England players? There's some great players around now who can adjust their style for different formats. Kohli is an obvious example of this, Smith is another.

Went to this test on the Sunday, must say Trent Bridge is a great ground and only £4.10 a pint. You can go in and out of the ground as well so you can nip out go to the shops over the road for some cheap food then come right back in.

Generally or for England players? There's some great players around now who can adjust their style for different formats. Kohli is an obvious example of this, Smith is another.

Went to this test on the Sunday, must say Trent Bridge is a great ground and only £4.10 a pint. You can go in and out of the ground as well so you can nip out go to the shops over the road for some cheap food then come right back in.

Generally ( although i do not get to watch a lot of international cricket unless it involves England), as you say that are still players who have the ability and technique to adjust to test cricket and look composed but it is a dying art ( imo).

I love test cricket ( or used to) but now its not as skillful as it used to be, i am a football man but the most exciting event i have ever watched ( i was lucky enough to be at the games) was the 2005 Ashes series. It had everything, great batting, bowling, fielding and every game was played and exciting by two well matched sides.

Generally ( although i do not get to watch a lot of international cricket unless it involves England), as you say that are still players who have the ability and technique to adjust to test cricket and look composed but it is a dying art ( imo).

I love test cricket ( or used to) but now its not as skillful as it used to be, i am a football man but the most exciting event i have ever watched ( i was lucky enough to be at the games) was the 2005 Ashes series. It had everything, great batting, bowling, fielding and every game was played and exciting by two well matched sides.

I still love Test cricket and it was refreshing to hear Kohli say that he was a firm Test man after the first game, but the truth is T20 and shorter formats are taking over which is a shame.

I'm still amazed we managed to bat out a full day. Nevermind that two were required, I can't remember the last time we managed that!

Bold move dropping Woakes

Moeen Ali and Sam Curran have been recalled to the England XI for the fourth Test against India at the Ageas Bowl, with Ollie Pope and Chris Woakes missing out

Edit: Just seen he is injured

Get my regular "England to lose 2 wickets before interval" bet on, with the shotless openers retained. Cook has been a fantastic player for England but his whole game has left him, even in the slips he's letting the team down and thats the only place you can put him apart from long leg or third man (if we ever have one).

Bold move dropping Woakes

Moeen Ali and Sam Curran have been recalled to the England XI for the fourth Test against India at the Ageas Bowl, with Ollie Pope and Chris Woakes missing out

Edit: Just seen he is injured

I was just about to rant.......

Taxi for Jennings? No give him another chance to not score any runs. I expect the "experts" will put it down to T20 cricket but I've seen no attempt of either our openers to attack the bowling, they just hang around hoping for a ball on their legside to score.

Taxi for Jennings? No give him another chance to not score any runs. I expect the "experts" will put it down to T20 cricket but I've seen no attempt of either our openers to attack the bowling, they just hang around hoping for a ball on their legside to score.

Can't argue against that!

Root for me does not carry that edge to be captain, I think its suited to lesser more o'rrible types.

Jennings is not looking good at all, he is like a Rabbit, caught totally in the headlights

FFS, the arrogant C Indians in my office are loving this!!

We are desperate for a number 2 and 3. Still think Cook would be ok with a reliable partner and there’s no way Root should be at 3, but needs must. Find a 2 and 3 that can bat for 40 overs then we would be devastating in the middle order.

As it is our middle order is basically facing the new ball after 10/15 overs!

Cook
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Butler/Pope
Ali/Rashid
Woakes/Curran
Broad
Anderson

Currently we are poor but it has the makings of a great side IMO, “just” need a top order.

Back