• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

It's the unashamed collusion of the group that staggers me.

Cheats and their almost proud of it!

I find the whole thing, top to bottom, staggering. From the fact that they'd even attempt it (or even consider attempting it) considering separately both the ethical and practical obstacles, right through to the 'yeah we cheated, can we forget it and move on?' attitude...I'm literally flabbergasted by it all.

Apparently it is not a red card offence. No idea what is.

As Parklaner81 and StephenH said, it is the brazen nature of it that is so staggering. The senior players colluded to get their most inexperienced player to cheat and when caught just seem to shrug their shoulders, "Oops, it was a one-off mistake .. we're embarrassed, it won't happy again ... now let's carry on as if nothing has happened, did we mention that it was the first time ... no, we've never done it before, honest ...".

When I played cricket I found Australians and South Africans the less sporting and West Indians the fairest players.

I read and heard people think the action of the ICB is too lenient but the sanctions are all they can do by the rules. I would hope the Australian board take stronger action against Smith Warner and Lehman, their action of using one of the least experienced player to carry out their plan shows a complete lack of moral fibre.

When I played cricket I found Australians and South Africans the less sporting and West Indians the fairest players.

I read and heard people think the action of the ICB is too lenient but the sanctions are all they can do by the rules. I would hope the Australian board take stronger action against Smith Warner and Lehman, their action of using one of the least experienced player to carry out their plan shows a complete lack of moral fibre.
I agree the problem for the aussies is that there so called leadership group consisted of 5 players. smith, warner, lyon, hazelwood & one other unamed. do they punish them all or just the captain, vice captain, bowling coach & coach.if they send all the above home then you might aswell forfeit the test series. i would love to see that happen but it probably won't.

One question.

Why did the other Australian players own up?
There was no need to. Bancroft would have been fined, nothing more.
So why fez up?

I makes no sense unless their actions were orchestrated by a third party.
A do this or situation?

Last edited:
One question.

Why did the other Australian players own up?
There was no need to. Bancroft would have been fined, nothing more.
So why fez up?

I makes no sense unless their actions were orchestrated by a third party.
A do this or situation?

You have to ask yourself why would a new member of the team and not a bowler take it upon himself to do such a thing, how would he know what to do unless he had seen it done before? I imagine as a new boy he would be trying to please the management and be prepared to do whatever he was asked. The management team probably though if he got caught out it could be put down to over enthusiasm. With the local tv making a big issue of it and messages being passed by the coach to the players on the field it started to look like a conspiracy and they may have thought it would reduce the uproar by trying to "brave it out". After the brick hit the fan perhaps Bancroft didn't want to take all the blame and left them no alternative than admit the cheating. I do not believe a control freak like Lehmann was not involved in this. I e-mailed my mate in Perth and he told me its a massive scandal in Oz and although the team have won the Ashes they are not very popular characters.

You have to ask yourself why would a new member of the team and not a bowler take it upon himself to do such a thing, how would he know what to do unless he had seen it done before? I imagine as a new boy he would be trying to please the management and be prepared to do whatever he was asked. The management team probably though if he got caught out it could be put down to over enthusiasm. With the local tv making a big issue of it and messages being passed by the coach to the players on the field it started to look like a conspiracy and they may have thought it would reduce the uproar by trying to "brave it out". After the brick hit the fan perhaps Bancroft didn't want to take all the blame and left them no alternative than admit the cheating. I do not believe a control freak like Lehmann was not involved in this. I e-mailed my mate in Perth and he told me its a massive scandal in Oz and although the team have won the Ashes they are not very popular characters.

That does not float for me. Bancroft would have a got slap on the wrist and a fine - done a big mea culpa media sound bite which will have been the smart move and pre arranged. Instead their top players all shout "I'm Spartacus", it's not logical.
Unless this is, as I say, the less nasty of the option available to Smith and Co and damage limitation for ACB.
You do not chuck your careers away over ball tampering........now something akin to match fixing in seriousness could be a whole nother issue :rolleyes: just putting it out there :cool:;)

Perhaps it turns out there is a modicum of honour among thieves? Maybe the "leadership group" got the newbie to do it, but even they couldn't let him and his test career - very easy for Cricket Aus to get rid of some no mark - go under the bus?

Plus he could've just said "they made me do it" if he got hammered, then they look even worse.

Perhaps it turns out there is a modicum of honour among thieves? Maybe the "leadership group" got the newbie to do it, but even they couldn't let him and (end) his test career - very easy for Cricket Aus to get rid of some no mark - go under the bus?

Plus he could've just said "they made me do it" if he got hammered, then they look even worse.

But they knew beforehand it would not end his test career. The tariff for similar offences is a fine (they would help him with that?) and some time on the naughty step.

Just because the penalty is a fine doesn't mean his career would continue with Australia. The public haven't taken it well, throwing him to the wolves would've sorted that.

From Hussein

"The problem with ball tampering is, once you get done like this and found out, it's a little bit like match-fixing in that you start to question every other game. People start to question the Ashes," said Hussain. "It's why the ICC should clamp down harder on it.

"This is a very good Australian bowling line-up, and has been for a while. But people will start questioning whether they're a good cricketing side because they scratch the ball better than opposition sides. Or are they just better?

"Stuart Broad made a very valid point from out in New Zealand. They say they've done this for the first time, but Australia were reverse-swinging the ball with success in the Ashes, and reversing it in the first two Tests of this series, so why would you change the plan and suddenly scratching and taking objects out onto the cricket field?

Back