• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

Re: Central defenders

It has to be someone experienced that know how to organise a back line and maybe give our current lot some pointers.

With Dier coming in i think it's bye bye Vlad. Kaboul should also be shifted out but who will replace him? i'm a big fan of Curtis Davies so maybe him?

What makes you think Vlad is the one to go?

From what I've seen posted on here Dier has been compared to John Terry. According to Wiki he's 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m). Doesn't seem obvious to me that it's Vlad that will be going.

Yes there have been rumours about Vlad to Roma, but the rumours about Dawson to various clubs have been at least as strong from what I've seen.

he does seem to have been out of favor since the incident where he was caught ****ed up in Bucharest, Vlad that is.

Vertonghen - Chiriches
Kaboul - Dier

seems to be what we're looking at, atm, assuming of course Kaboul and Chiriches remain

he does seem to have been out of favor since the incident where he was caught ****ed up in Bucharest, Vlad that is.

Vertonghen - Chiriches
Kaboul - Dier

seems to be what we're looking at, atm, assuming of course Kaboul and Chiriches remain

Didn't go with the squad to the US, so impossible to say. Might know a tiny bit more after our next friendly.

Vertonghen - Chiriches
Kaboul - Dier

Looks quite light weight to me. Cant imagine Dier will play in the PL unless the other three are injured. Personally I would sell Daws and Chiriches and look to sign someone with some size as first choice alongside Verts. Wonder whether Dier be trusted to be 4th choice or whether Poch will view him only as 5th choice for this year

Vertonghen - Chiriches
Kaboul - Dier

Agreed. That's two cultured CBs and two powerful CBs still.

Ideally we'd upgrade Kaboul as well for someone fitter and with more leadership qualities (like this Musacchio we've been linked with today)

Didn't go with the squad to the US, so impossible to say. Might know a tiny bit more after our next friendly.

Vlad had a back injury didn't he - that's why he didn't go to the US.

Vlad had a back injury didn't he - that's why he didn't go to the US.

That was reported at least, but of course people have been speculating.

For me at least it's unlikely that he wasn't brought to the US becuase we're getting rid when nothing has materialized yet. We brought Sig along for the first part of that tour even when he was clearly on his way out the door to Swansea, I don't quite see why we would leave Vlad at home with a faked injury just because we were selling him.

I think Vlad and Dawson (Would rather it was Kaboul) will both be gone by the 31st August and another CB will be brought in:

Vertonghen
new
Kaboul
Dier

that's what i think will happen.

I think Vlad and Dawson (Would rather it was Kaboul) will both be gone by the 31st August and another CB will be brought in:

Vertonghen
new
Kaboul
Dier

Agreed. I reckon the 'other' could be Fonte.

Vertonghen
new
Kaboul
Dier

The new better be very good, because you wouldn't want to rely on the bottom two for more than 10 games.

Musacchio does look like the defender that fits the bill. He's only 23, reads the game well and has a lot of experience in a top top league. If we ended up with Vertonghen, Musacchio, Dier and Kaboul, we will be ok. There is a good combination of experience and youth in there. Perhaps even keep Chiriches as backup for if/when Kaboul gets injured. I personally like Vlad, but as others have said his all round game does need some work.

Musacchio does look like the defender that fits the bill. He's only 23, reads the game well and has a lot of experience in a top top league. If we ended up with Vertonghen, Musacchio, Dier and Kaboul, we will be ok. There is a good combination of experience and youth in there. Perhaps even keep Chiriches as backup for if/when Kaboul gets injured. I personally like Vlad, but as others have said his all round game does need some work.

Well, he's shorter than Vlad (who's pretty poor in the air as it is), so I don't know...

Why on earth would Vlad be sold? A good defender who is excellent on the ball, sounds like Poch's cup of tea to me....

Why on earth would Vlad be sold? A good defender who is excellent on the ball, sounds like Poch's cup of tea to me....

He has not shown that much at all. People can say this as much as they want but his positional sense is atrocious...he looks like a little boy lost (similar to Savic when he was at City). Does he have potential to improve? of course but there were games last season where he was utterly atrocious.

He has not shown that much at all. People can say this as much as they want but his positional sense is atrocious...he looks like a little boy lost (similar to Savic when he was at City). Does he have potential to improve? of course but there were games last season where he was utterly atrocious.

I thought he was fine but looked worse when he came back after his injury and was clearly rushed back too soon because of our shortage of defenders....

Interesting thing is that all of our defenders looked like that at times last season. As I've said repeatedly I think our defenders were left in an impossible position by our high pressing not being up to scratch for large parts of the season, and us playing without defensive midfielders for other parts.

Vlad has several good defensive attributes imo, will at least give him half a season under Poch before accepting any description like "his positional sense is atrocious".

Just conspiracy theories because he missed the US tour through injury and some guy in a pub in America claimed he overheard one of our coaching saying he was ****.

Back