• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

Re: Central defenders

Interesting thing is that all of our defenders looked like that at times last season. As I've said repeatedly I think our defenders were left in an impossible position by our high pressing not being up to scratch for large parts of the season, and us playing without defensive midfielders for other parts.

Vlad has several good defensive attributes imo, will at least give him half a season under Poch before accepting any description like "his positional sense is atrocious".

Obviously i'm going by what i've seen so far.

I thought he was fine but looked worse when he came back after his injury and was clearly rushed back too soon because of our shortage of defenders....

To me he plays like he has no brain. Kind of like you can actually see what he's thinking "ok i'm going to bombard forward".."ok i'm going to run this way"..like he doesn't think about the repercussions of his decisions or how it will expose his cb partner. There's basically no thought process which is why he gets caught out all the time (with the exact same pass).

To me he plays like he has no brain. Kind of like you can actually see what he's thinking "ok i'm going to bombard forward".."ok i'm going to run this way"..like he doesn't think about the repercussions of his decisions or how it will expose his cb partner. There's basically no thought process which is why he gets caught out all the time (with the exact same pass).

Rio Ferdinand was the same at his age. So are most ballplaying CBs.

He can be taught. Pochettino made Southampton pretty solid defensively mainly due to his style of a play.

He can be taught. Pochettino made Southampton pretty solid defensively mainly due to his style of a play.

This is the hope...but if poch feels it's best we sell him and bring in another CB that's suited more to playing alongside someone like Vertonghen then i wouldn't exactly be disappointed.

This is the hope...but if poch feels it's best we sell him and bring in another CB that's suited more to playing alongside someone like Vertonghen then i wouldn't exactly be disappointed.

I'd be disappointed in the fact that I feel Chricihes is good back up and there's others in his position I feel could be sold ahead of him.

If Poch can make Lovren look good positionally and get Southampton looking remotely solid, I have hopes for Chiriches, that is of course if Poch rates him.

He has not shown that much at all. People can say this as much as they want but his positional sense is atrocious...he looks like a little boy lost (similar to Savic when he was at City). Does he have potential to improve? of course but there were games last season where he was utterly atrocious.
Can you name a Spurs defender who didn't look atrocious in games last season?

guess its the central defender transfer window after last seasons cm spree!

maybe next year we will just buy strikers!....in all seriousness I am glad that poch is looking at the defence!!!! biq questions over Kaboul & Daws...and Vlad for that matter...Velcro is an unknown.

If Kaboul's contract is not renewed, and we can get in replacements, we could see him sold to QPR. But I think Kaboul might be one who can really benefit from Poch. A Kaboul Vertonghen CB pairing could be solid. With both able to get forward and add goals. Provided they can concentrate, play an effective system and stay solid at the back, I'd love to see them build a strong partnership. I think they could be impressive under the new regime.

Lacelles from Forest is the latest to follow Spurs on twitter.

And, unrelated to that, I'm not ready to write Kaboul off yet. I hope he and Vertonghen are the first choice pairing, unless we bring in someone clearly better.

And, unrelated to that, I'm not ready to write Kaboul off yet. I hope he and Vertonghen are the first choice pairing, unless we bring in someone clearly better.

Fit, and at his best, Kaboul is an excellent defender who I'd be happy to keep at Spurs. But let's be honest, we've not seen that Kaboul for quite a long time. If the new manager wants to give him a go, then that's fine by me. But I see him as a big risk... based on 2 and a half seasons of being - at best - patchy and at worst, on the treatment table.

Am I right in saying Kaboul is in his last year of his contract? If so then it's a no brainer to keep him and see how the season goes. Any hint that he might be fit enough to give us 30+ games and offer him two year extension.

He's also having a medical with Saudi Sportswashing Machine today. We obviously opted for Dier over him.

If Kaboul's contract is not renewed, and we can get in replacements, we could see him sold to QPR. But I think Kaboul might be one who can really benefit from Poch. A Kaboul Vertonghen CB pairing could be solid. With both able to get forward and add goals. Provided they can concentrate, play an effective system and stay solid at the back, I'd love to see them build a strong partnership. I think they could be impressive under the new regime.

Kaboul's being linked with Lazio now. A move to a slow paced league might suit him better than dropping down the EPL.

People are writing off Sandro because of his stuttered return from his ACL, but whereas Sandro looked rusty, Kaboul looked finished. Sadly I'm really not sure he's up to it any more.

Am I right in saying Kaboul is in his last year of his contract? If so then it's a no brainer to keep him and see how the season goes. Any hint that he might be fit enough to give us 30+ games and offer him two year extension.

Why is it a no-brainer to write off £6m (the amount Lazio are supposedly rumoured to be offering pay) and let him leave on a free (he'll be able to sign a pre-contract with them in Jan)?

Nonsense. That is the opposite of sense. Unsense.

Back