• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The build-up to World Cup 2014 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pubs in England will be allowed to stay open longer during the national side's opening World Cup match.

The Home Office had twice turned down pleas from the British Beer and Pub Association for automatic extended opening times when England take on Italy on June 14.

Despite the game kicking off at 11pm, the Home Office had ruled that it did not constitute "exceptional circumstances", which have been reserved for events like the royal wedding and the Queen's Jubilee.

But Prime Minister David Cameron intervened to request a consultation, which has found in the industry's favour.

Pubs now have permission to open late for England's opening tie against Italy, which takes place in Brazilian city Manaus, and during the final weekend of the tournament on July 11 and 12.

The Home Office said in its report: "The Government believes that England playing in the World Cup is an occasion of exceptional national significance.

"Many people will wish to enjoy watching the matches in pubs and bars and experience the atmosphere of the occasion with fellow football fans, as demonstrated by the enthusiasm of the majority of those who responded to the consultation."

Pubs will be allowed to stay open four hours longer following England's World Cup matches with a scheduled kick off time of 8pm or later, up until 1am

Ordered a Belgium shirt. Decided to make them my 'second team' this tournament.

Gonna drink nice Belgian triples, eat waffles and frites with mayo and maybe even have a chocolate or two.

That's what football's all about, right?

In my forties may do the Painini Sticker album for the world cup ,i think the sun are giving a book away for free on Saturday.....aaaahhh memories.....collecting for 1978 world cup in Argentina.

Can cost a fortune to collect the stickers. I collected stickers for the last World Cup and think it cost in excess of £100!! Too much for what you get out of it. Will you have anyone to do swaps with too?

I'll take my daughter to school,hang around then in the school corridor with a pile of swappies......how much are packets now remember them 10p a packet......

Bl6UMVGCAAExNh5.jpg

50 days until the World Cup starts.

Did I mention I am going? So ****ing excited! Especially given how ****E the football is at St James' Park these days.

I fly out on the 17th June and into Sao Paulo for two nights, I'm in the FIFA corporate hospitality for the Uruguay v England game which should be great.

I then fly down to Porto Alegre where I will be staying with friends for two weeks and exploring Rio Grande Sul, I also have tickets for South Korea v Algeria and the last 16 knock out game in Porto Alegre. Still working on tickets for Argentina v Nigeria.

I'm then heading up to Rio, no tickets here but have to visit Rio, from there it's down the coast to the old colonial town of Paraty to chill out for a few days and also a few days in Ubatuba to see an old mate of mine who I've not seen since 2005. After that I end the trip in Sao Paulo for a few more nights before the flight home on 14 July.

A month off work too, which will be great!

I am so bloody excited!

Is anyone else off here heading over?

No, but if you fancy the Brazilian St. Tropez get to Buzios, about an hour and a bit cab north from Rio. Luxury on a budget, no cars allowed, no chains just boutique hotels, you'll have to rent a beach buggy Steve McQueen style to get around the peninsular. Obviously best with the missus, rather than mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back