• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - right wing forward

Who is the best right mid, right wing, right inside forward, or inside right to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Would be a bit odd competing against the two actual right wingers from his side/time (Waddle and Allen)

Plus if Ardiles goes under RW, we probably have to allow Modric at LW

But Ossie was around a long time before Allen and Waddle...could he not have played there before the mid 80s as original post suggested?

You're only really taking the 87 team into account.

In the 1981 FA Cup Final replay Ossie played right side midfield with Hoddle and Ricky Villa in central midfield. This was a tactic frequently used by Keith Burkinshaw in the 1980-81 season with Villa the more advanced of the 2 central midfielders

As far as I can tell/remember, Hoddle and Ardiles often played together with one nominally CM and one nominally RM, It was often hard to tell who was in which position because they were both intelligent players capable of changing. On balance I would place Ardiles in the deeper, more central role (that ship has sailed) and Hoddle more forward and wider in a freer role.

waddle for me - he could beat anyone in his day starting from a standstill in the corner - going one way then another. he did it so frequently that it started to look like a set piece with players in the box anticipating his eventual cross.

In my view it is between, Jones, Waddle and Ardiles. Originally thought I would be voting for Waddle, as in his prime it was worth buying a ticket just to watch him. I then lobbied for Ossie to be included in the short list.

However, despite this, Cliff Jones was world class in the late 50s and early 60 and would provide far more goals than the other two so Jones gets my vote

This team is going to be a mess. Lots of square pegs in round holes. It will be a legend XI, not a best ever XI.
You're never going to get a balanced team when squad selection is done democratically. Just got to resign ourselves to that and enjoy the discussions.

Once the final votes are in, I'm sure the announcement thread will feature everyone's own personal best ever squads - and they'll tend to be far more balanced. That said; I feel quite certain that - however unbalanced it might be - the "legends" team we end up with from these votes would comfortably win the league this year.

You're never going to get a balanced team when squad selection is done democratically. Just got to resign ourselves to that and enjoy the discussions.

Once the final votes are in, I'm sure the announcement thread will feature everyone's own personal best ever squads - and they'll tend to be far more balanced. That said; I feel quite certain that - however unbalanced it might be - the "legends" team we end up with from these votes would comfortably win the league this year.

They'll be far more unbalanced when people try to squeeze in 5 CFs and 5 CMs to get all their favourites in.

Had to change my mind over this as I love Waddle and was going to vote for him, however there is no way that Jones should not get in to this team.

Back