• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - right wing forward

Who is the best right mid, right wing, right inside forward, or inside right to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
adding a caveat to mine, Waddle here as I have Jones as the only real option down the left, arguably the greatest winger of all time let alone the best Spurs one

adding a caveat to mine, Waddle here as I have Jones as the only real option down the left, arguably the greatest winger of all time let alone the best Spurs one

Yeah - best left winger in the world, but right winger of the double side

Put him in the LW poll too if he doesn't win this one?

Cliff Jones for me. I think there are other choices for the left. As Gutter Boy points point, he played a lot of games on the right to accommodate Dyson. My record has them playing together 148 times and Jones was on the right in most, although he played inside left alongside Dyson a few times (source).

Others for the shortlist: John White (played right wing and inside right), Anderton, Lennon and, our record signing of the time, Fanny Walden.

Waddle could also be on the list, although I thought he played more on the left, so I think he should be up against Ginola, Bale and Jones again (if necessary). A couple of old timers put in decent numbers on the left wing: Jimmy Dimmock (438 app, 112 goals; FA Cup in 1921, our youngest player in the final) and Jack Kirwan (347 app, 97 goals; FA Cup 1901).

Last edited:
Of the players I've seen personally, my short-list would include... Waddle, Allen, Anderton, Davies, Lennon.

Here's a question for you though... what about Ossie Ardiles? I know he wasn't a winger / wing forward, but in my mind he generally tended to play as much on the right of midfield as he did in the centre. Or is that my memory playing tricks on me?

If we end up with Bale on the left... then I would like to raise the suggestion that Tony Galvin should come into the voting. Although he played mainly on the left, Galvin could play on the right too.. as a kid he was one of my favourites, socks rolled down, no shin pads... hard as nails!

If we end up with Bale on the left... then I would like to raise the suggestion that Tony Galvin should come into the voting. Although he played mainly on the left, Galvin could play on the right too.. as a kid he was one of my favourites, socks rolled down, no shin pads... hard as nails!

Good shout he was very underated and was a joy to watch running down the left flank and a great crosser of the ball. He was clever sod as well with a degree in Russian but was better on the left.

Anderton is still criminally underrated because of the myth about his injuries.

He clocked up about 400 games for us and was our outstanding player of the 90s (IMO ahead of Teddy)
Agree. He could play on either flank but iirc was mainly used down the left in his early years before settling for the right later on. Who can forget his celebrated corner routine with Teddy Sheringham which for a time caught defences totally offguard and led to a few cracking goals from the corner of the box.

Re. Bale, could he also be in the poll for number 10? He had his best season for us in that position, which then generated his world record transfer.

I got a call from a headhunter around 2003... Chap called Galvin. So I asked... And it was his cousin or something

Blanchflower needs to be in this team. Full stop. Put him somewhere, in goal if needs be.

Should be Blanchflower with Mackay and Hoddle right side. Hoddle was better than Waddle.

If we have Greaves up top we could have Sheringham behind for height and goals and supply... So no wingers like Waddle and Bale but instead of that a narrow three of Hoddle Sheringham Gazza, behind Greaves = GOALS

Of the players I've seen personally, my short-list would include... Waddle, Allen, Anderton, Davies, Lennon.

Here's a question for you though... what about Ossie Ardiles? I know he wasn't a winger / wing forward, but in my mind he generally tended to play as much on the right of midfield as he did in the centre. Or is that my memory playing tricks on me?

CYLxNBNWkAEkiVW.jpg

Blanchflower needs to be in this team. Full stop. Put him somewhere, in goal if needs be.

Should be Blanchflower with Mackay and Hoddle right side. Hoddle was better than Waddle.

If we have Greaves up top we could have Sheringham behind for height and goals and supply... So no wingers like Waddle and Bale but instead of that a narrow three of Hoddle Sheringham Gazza, behind Greaves = GOALS

This team is going to be a mess. Lots of square pegs in round holes. It will be a legend XI, not a best ever XI.

Waddle is the best that I've seen so, based on who I've actually seen play, I'd have to go for him. Was a big fan of Shaggy though

That said, everyone who saw him says Cliff Jones was amazing so I guess it should be him

Feel sorry for all you young and middle age fans, for anyone over 60 there is only one name CLIFF JONES. This man was fast, skillful, brave, two footed, intelligent and one of the best headers of the ball I've seen. He was the Ronaldo of his day, but played for the team. I know people will say it was a different game but great players would be great in any era, he played in a time were fullbacks were expected to defend and virtually allowed to kick lumps out of wingers and he couldn't be stopped.

This team is going to be a mess. Lots of square pegs in round holes. It will be a legend XI, not a best ever XI.

I've made a number of posts pointing out how the poll selection and order can influence the XI selected, but I think you are wrong about the team element. My guess is that the final XI selected will be quite functional. We can argue over whether Perryman should be at rght-back or if Hoddle should keep out Blanchflower and Modric, but these disagreements are not going to add up to a dysfunctional selection.

I've made a number of posts pointing out how the poll selection and order can influence the XI selected, but I think you are wrong about the team element. My guess is that the final XI selected will be quite functional. We can argue over whether Perryman should be at rght-back or if Hoddle should keep out Blanchflower and Modric, but these disagreements are not going to add up to a dysfunctional selection.

It would be a very functional unit, but it wouldn't be the best possible XI.

It would be a very functional unit, but it wouldn't be the best possible XI.

To some it will to others it will not, everyone has favourites and in these type of situations they will always be those who think it should be different.

Back