• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - left wing forward

Who is the best left midfield, left wing, left inside forward, left wing forward to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted Waddle. It was close between him and Bale, but Waddle had me out of my seat more with deft skill, tricks and dribbling. He wasn't a physical specimen like Bale and if he had Bale's physical talents he would have been even better. I don't want that to sound like I'm marking Bale down, it's just that I'm marking Waddle up.

I wouldn't be unhappy with either to be fair, but Waddle gets my vote.

Gone for Waddle because as someone else mentioned earlier we have speed on one flank with Jones and Waddle was a lot tricker then Bale and could beat a man with skill as well, usually Bale did it with pace.

The goals to games ratio is around 1 in 4 for both players but Waddle used to assist more for others.

Last edited:
A few others from the past that deserve mention:

• Les Medley (164/46) - part of the 1950-51 championship team, along with Ditchburn, Ramsey, Clarke, Nicholson, Burgess, Baily, Bennett and Duquemin, all of whom played over 250 games for Spurs and would be better known if the double team didn't overshadow their achievements.
  • Jimmy Dimmock (438/112) - winner of 1921 FA Cup
  • Jack Kirwan (347/97) - winner of 1901 FA Cup
  • Bert Middlemiss (261/55)

I'll vote for Bale. A powerful wing forward who can cut in on the left to counterbalance the more classic wing play of Cliff Jones. Both can play both roles and interchange, so a nice pairing.
The omission of the above plus George Robb from the poll says this thread should be retitled The Best Spurs Team of the Last Sixty Years.*

Edit: alright, 65 years then.

The omission of the above plus George Robb from the poll says this thread should be retitled The Best Spurs Team of the Last Sixty Years.*

If there was enough support for them on the thread, they would have made the poll

This is tough! Waddle was my first hero, ginola was my dads favorite player (he saw the sixties side), also an absolute shining beacon in the most dismal of times and bale was just bale!

I'm narrowing it down to ginola and waddle, but that's as far as I'm going for the moment.

If there was enough support for them on the thread, they would have made the poll
There's not enough support because voters have never seen or heard much about most of those players. De facto it's a poll of players from the 60s onwards.

I'm sure you agree really.:p

Going to be a landslide win for Bale and deservedly so. Outstanding player in a very, very good team under 'Arry. Pace, power, technical ability, great goals, multiple CRUCIAL goals at big moments, big game player. did it at all the levels we reached including CL, was great for THFC at several different positions and over multiple seasons.

Gotta mention Daveeed though, who is my second choice: sexy football player, technical ability, skill, beautiful goals, amazing crossing, sexiness, great hair... did I mention sexiness? Best player in the league in 1998-99 and voted so. The only ray of light in the darkest time I have known as a Spurs fan (the late 90s/early 2000s primarily under the Man In The Raincoat), as apart from this man we were f****ing abject, terrible to watch, a terrible team floundering in lower mid-table. This guy kept my faith in Spurs afloat. Glad we have improved a million miles from then, but David Ginola deserves recognition.

I'm usually quite good on my history, but that's a name that doesn't ring a bell with me.

Jimmy Dimmock is the main pre-war winger I've heard of

I've voted for Ginola.

Bale was a physical beast, but for me Ginola had the swagger and cavalierness that typifies our club.

I loved Waddle too, but don't consider this is primary position.

I'm usually quite good on my history, but that's a name that doesn't ring a bell with me.

Jimmy Dimmock is the main pre-war winger I've heard of

Perhaps that's because Robb featured in the sandwich years between our two exceptional Championship-winning sides of 1950-51 and 1960-61. Also he had the misfortune to be around in the era of Tom Finney, Len Shackleton and Stanley Matthews but he was no less a stalwart for Tottenham for that. He played a big part in lifting Tottenham out of the doldrums after the push-and-run side began to break up, lifting us from the threat of relegation and helping us to finish runners-up in 1956/7 and third in 57/8.

What I loved most about Robb was his tremendous heart and never-say die attitude. I remember as a kid watching in awe as he would almost batter his way through defences, taking the fight to the opposition when the rest of the team were brick, thereby lifting the crowd and the rest of the team with his determination and spirit.

I think you'll agree that for a winger his stats stand up to comparison with the very best:

'Throughout the 1950s, Robb delighted White Hart Lane with his aggressive wing play. Impressive with either foot, he was most dangerous when cutting inside off the touchline, sharing neat passes with Eddie Baily, the man he had often played with at Finchley. Robb also had a mean shot, scoring 58 goals in 200 games for Tottenham.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/sport-obituaries/8998695/George-Robb.html

Last edited:
My votes for Bale as he terrified teams we played against, often 2 or 3 players were trying to stop him. I thought Waddle was the dogs b****** and loved watching him play but he never had that fear factor Bale had on teams. Just a mention for Tony Galvin who gave great balance to our teams and was one of the hardest players we've had at this club. I use to sit in the West Stand and often had players who were not in the team sitting next to me, Galvin was the only one who ever got worked up when watching and would often encourage our players to whack 'em.

I omitted Robb from my list there as you had already mentioned him a few posts earlier. I have seen none of them and was just looking through the wikipedia list for honourable mentions from the past.

The problem with this sort of exercise is that people use different criteria and different weights for their selections. It's hard to make such an assessment without being influenced by the players you have seen, especially those in the first team you remember (e.g. early 70s for me). Some players are particularly famous and It's possible to vote for players you haven't seen on reputation and assessment of others. But I think for such historical assessments to override our personal experience they have to be particularly glowing. So in the case of Mackay and Jones it has been enough to get them in the team, whereas it was not enough for Blanchflower or Norman. Moving forward, younger supporters will have heard and seen enough about Hoddle to vote for him, but for the older players there is little video available.

The true merit of these exercises is not the final team selected, but the discussions that were had on the way.

I omitted Robb from my list there as you had already mentioned him a few posts earlier. I have seen none of them and was just looking through the wikipedia list for honourable mentions from the past.

The problem with this sort of exercise is that people use different criteria and different weights for their selections. It's hard to make such an assessment without being influenced by the players you have seen, especially those in the first team you remember (e.g. early 70s for me). Some players are particularly famous and It's possible to vote for players you haven't seen on reputation and assessment of others. But I think for such historical assessments to override our personal experience they have to be particularly glowing. So in the case of Mackay and Jones it has been enough to get them in the team, whereas it was not enough for Blanchflower or Norman. Moving forward, younger supporters will have heard and seen enough about Hoddle to vote for him, but for the older players there is little video available.

The true merit of these exercises is not the final team selected, but the discussions that were had on the way.

Agree with all of that except I'm surprised you felt the comments about Blanchflower were not glowing enough. I've inserted a few of the ringing endorsements below.

Although it's fair to say a number of posters regretted his omission from the team only after it was too late, possibly something to do with confusion as to where he would best fit in and being put up against Hoddle and Mackay for the holding role when at least some assumed Hoddle would be included in a later poll for a place further forward.

I'll be surprised if you can find any other all-time Spurs side on the Web or elsewhere that omits Blanchflower altogether. It's sacrilege! :p

... Blanchflower ... was ranked as the greatest player in Spurs history by The Times in 2009 and, of course, he is the author of the "game is about glory" quote. He was Footballer of the Year twice, so he must have been pretty handy.

Hoddle and Mackay the two standouts for me

Blanchflower, Ardiles and Gascogine to make up 5

... The two has to be, imo, Blanchflower and MacKay, the heartbeat of the double winning side.

... you can't leave out Blanchflower or Mackay ...

I remember watching Danny from the Shelf in a game against Preston in the early '60s that we won something like 5-0 or 5-1, cannot remember the exact score, when he went on a run from around the half way line and Gazza-like mesmerised their defenders with his trickery on the ball, dancing through and around them one after another without allowing any of them to get touch on the ball. I recall gasping at the sheer wizardry of it, the way he nonchalantly feinted this way and dummied that as he cut a swathe through their defence before dinking the ball into the box for Johnny White to run onto, something he did with regularity.

But for me the real point about captain Blanchflower wasn't just that he was immensely gifted on the ball, nor even the way he brought his exceptional vision and tactical awareness to bear so effectively on the field of play. No, it was more than anything else the sheer power of his influence on the team overall and on the positive way they played throughout. In essence, Sir Billy Nich was the architect off the pitch but Danny was the supremo on it.

At the beginning of the 1960-61 season, even before a ball had been kicked in anger, he went on record saying boldly that Tottenham would win the Double. At the time the Double had come to be seen as well-nigh impossible. Season after season the most dominant club of the year had come close, but always it had eluded them at the death, the psychological barrier seemingly always proving just too much.

I remember thinking at the time, absolutely no way, the fact he'd come out and said it was in itself the kiss of death. Remember we'd only finished third the previous season, fading away badly in the run-in. But Blanchflower kept on insisting as the results began to stack up that this was the target the whole team were aiming at. He believed we were good enough and that he could see no reason why we wouldn't win it. It was this kind of conviction that looking back you can see had coursed right through the team to the extent they played TO it, believing, you sensed, it was almost their duty to step up and make it happen.

I could happily reminisce until the cows come home about the wizardry both mental and physical of Danny Blanchflower but suffice it to say, I remain convinced to this day if it hadn't been for the transcending power of Danny's influence on the '60-61 side we simply would not have won the Double.

We weren't far off the double the year after too. And, I just read that Danny B was voted footballer of the year twice as well. He must have been some player.

And he was captain when we became the first English team to win a European trophy. A real Spurs legend.

We will select Greaves as striker, despite not seeing him, so don't worry about having seen them play. Just put in McKay and Blanchflower. Ghod can play further forwards.

My votes for Bale as he terrified teams we played against, often 2 or 3 players were trying to stop him. I thought Waddle was the dogs b****** and loved watching him play but he never had that fear factor Bale had on teams. Just a mention for Tony Galvin who gave great balance to our teams and was one of the hardest players we've had at this club. I use to sit in the West Stand and often had players who were not in the team sitting next to me, Galvin was the only one who ever got worked up when watching and would often encourage our players to whack 'em.

Indeed he was , used to love seeing him flying down the wing, shinpads discarded and socks round his ankles while some hairy arsed FB tried to kick him into touch.

Indeed he was , used to love seeing him flying down the wing, shinpads discarded and socks round his ankles while some hairy arsed FB tried to kick him into touch.
I was at Wembley for the League Cup Final vs Liverpool in 1982 when one such hairy-arsed clam, Graeme Souness, calculatedly and viciously half-crippled Galvin very early on, making no attempt whatever for the ball, only the player. In those days you only had one sub so Tony bravely soldiered on.

No question nowadays the Red clam would have been sent off but in those days you had to practically murder somebody to get a red, especially in a Final and especially if the offender played for Liverpool. Despite that we continued to outplay them for most of the game. They got a lucky break in the dying minutes to equalise and from then on the momentum switched completely their way and we lost in extra time.

Liverpool were a great side in those days but no small part of why they won so many trophies in the 70s and 80s was down to their total cynicism and ruthlessness, as born out by this report

http://hotspurhq.com/2014/03/13/tottenham-day-spurs-lose-liverpool-league-cup-final/

Ronnie Whelan condoned Souness’ actions in his book:

‘Souey caught Tony Galvin in the 1982 League Cup Final against Spurs. He marked his territory that day with Tony: ‘This is my part of the pitch, if you want to come in here, you’re going to get hurt’. Tony was hurt in that tackle and we didn’t see him much in the game after that. Tackles like that had a purpose, they could have a real effect on a game. Tony was going to take a while to get back into the match, which would give us a bit more time on the ball. That’s what it was all geared to achieve. It wasn’t just to hurt someone for the sake of it, not usually anyway; it was to give us the time and the space to play our game.’

I was at Wembley for the League Cup Final vs Liverpool in 1982 when one such hairy-arsed clam, Graeme Souness, calculatedly and viciously half-crippled Galvin very early on, making no attempt whatever for the ball, only the player. In those days you only had one sub so Tony bravely soldiered on.

No question nowadays the Red clam would have been sent off but in those days you had to practically murder somebody to get a red, especially in a Final and especially if the offender played for Liverpool. Despite that we continued to outplay them for most of the game. They got a lucky break in the dying minutes to equalise and from then on the momentum switched completely their way and we lost in extra time.

Liverpool were a great side in those days but no small part of why they won so many trophies in the 70s and 80s was down to their total cynicism and ruthlessness, as born out by this report

http://hotspurhq.com/2014/03/13/tottenham-day-spurs-lose-liverpool-league-cup-final/

‘Souey caught Tony Galvin in the 1982 League Cup Final against Spurs. He marked his territory that day with Tony: ‘This is my part of the pitch, if you want to come in here, you’re going to get hurt’. Tony was hurt in that tackle and we didn’t see him much in the game after that. Tackles like that had a purpose, they could have a real effect on a game. Tony was going to take a while to get back into the match, which would give us a bit more time on the ball. That’s what it was all geared to achieve. It wasn’t just to hurt someone for the sake of it, not usually anyway; it was to give us the time and the space to play our game.’

I was at that game and remember it well:( we were 3 minutes away from winning and it was the first time I had seen us lose at Wembley. Different game those days most teams had a player who would go over the top if needed and nowadays you only have to breath on a player and fans and refs are screaming for a foul.

It makes me laugh when I hear some fans dismissing the talent of the old ( great players) by saying that they would not be as good in todays faster game, they dismiss the fact that the best players would be kicked from piller to post, had to play on pitches that were ( in a lot of cases) no better then a ploughed field.

I remember a photo taken by Harry Goodwin who was the official photographer at Utd of George Best after a game, Best was pictured in a pair of shorts only and his whole body from neck to ankles was just one mass of bruises from being kicked, punched and elbowed by opposing players.

My first ever Spurs game
I was 5
Got punched by a liverpoo fan in the toilets at the encouragement of his dad
Whelen scored didn't he?
Hated those clams ever since

My first ever Spurs game
I was 5
Got punched by a liverpoo fan in the toilets at the encouragement of his dad
Whelen scored didn't he?
Hated those clams ever since
Shame we lost your first ever game, especially as it was at Wembley and you were only a 5yo. It's a major regret of mine - and even more of my son - that I didn't take him with me to that game, it would have been his first too. As a 6yo I felt he was too young so at least you got lucky in that respect. In fact unwittingly you've just made me feel even worse :rolleyes: ;).

Back