• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - left wing forward

Who is the best left midfield, left wing, left inside forward, left wing forward to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
A quick recap of what we're doing

Right. The best Spurs team of all time.

We'll have a different thread for each position over the coming weeks. The thread will be open for a while for nominations and the most frequently mentioned players will be going into a poll on the same thread.

The team will line up 4-2-3-1. Modern style.

Anyone who comes into the thread, doesn't read what we're doing and posts their full best team of all time, gets laughed at.

The team so far looks like this.

160116230243.png

The tenth position up for grabs - left midfield, left wing, left inside forward, left wing forward or inside left, take your pick.

Who you think is best? A poll will be added when it looks like we have a few players to pick between.

Blanchflower :)

Cut to the chase... yadda yadda Waddle blah blah 1961 blah blah.... gonna be Bale on page 5 innit?

I really don't see any point in any other options.

Bale isn't just the best player we've had in that position, he's probably only behind Hoddle for the best player we've had.

As a side note, I think that team would best pretty much any team that's ever existed.

Bale isn't just the best player we've had in that position, he's probably only behind Hoddle for the best player we've had.

As a side note, I think that team would best pretty much any team that's ever existed.

i'm a big fan of the kid, incredible player, one of the best in the world, i'm sure he'll win multiple Ballon d'Or's and 5/6 european cups, but, I wouldn't have him over Cliff Jones (who's obviously already in), who to my mind is the greatest winger the game has ever seen

now, at one point, we a pretty talented manager who thought he had found a better fit than Jone's on the left, imagine that, he had the greatest winger in the history of the sport, yet he believed he could make his team better by moving Jones to the opposite flank, and he was right, he slotted this kid in, who scored a hatful of league goals, a crucial goal in the FA Cup final as we won the double, hitherto considered impossible, he then scored two incredible goals in the CWC final as we became the first English side to lift continental silverware

oh, he once scored a hat trick against the scum as well, our only player ever to do that, it could never be said that this man did not turn up in the big games, he was the difference in many of them

it's a rarity in this collection of polls, but this time there is an absolute truth, one correct answer

Terry Dyson

as an aside, your final point, when this is done, I bet a few of us could list a better team with just the Spur's players "we've" left out

Gazza before bale for me as the best player apart from hoddle.

I like @galeforce 's argument for Dyson. For me, Bale is the best player I've ever seen for Spurs (too young for Ghod and Greaves) and he will get my vote.

Of course it's gonna be Bale, but this is also meant to be some kind of review of the competition, isn't it?

Here's a few that at least deserve a mention

George Robb 224 starts / 64 goals - surprisingly stocky and powerful for a winger but he couldn't half shift, his low centre of gravity enabling him stay on his feet. Was usually able to round off his run from one end of the pitch to the other with a great cross into the box or even end up going all the way and putting it in the back of the net himself

Terry Dyson 239 / 68 - an incredibly nippy winger who terrorised defences with his speed, control and trickery and consistently rounded things off with an excellent cross, he too knew where the goal was

Tony Galvin 350 / 47 - a great favourite with the crowd, Tony was very strong on the ball and worked his socks off for the cause. His trademark was a high, accurate looping cross to the far post for the likes of Archibald, Crooks and Mark Falco

Ricky Villa 211 / 40 - Ricky could be a frustrating bastard at times but he also came up with moments of pure magic like his memorable winner against City in the 1981 FA Cup replay

David Ginola 149 / 24 - if anyone is going to give Bale a run for his money it's gonna be David. Fit, athletic and dazzlingly skilful, he was also possessed of a brilliant shot. Often a solitary, glittering one-man-band in the dark days of Christian Gross and George Graham.

Gareth Bale 194 / 51 - so versatile he probably made fewer appearances on the left flank than any of the above, but his sheer speed, power and brilliant finishing ensured he shone the brightest of them all

Yeah Bale or Ginola. Or both.

On that Spurs team of all-time formation, its more symbolic to have a 3-5-2....we've had a wealth of talents in midfield and attack, sad to leave out one of the great tottenham players that's helped defined who we are in football history.

Ginola was a joy to watch that season he won player of the year in a average Spurs side, tricks every week, decent goal return, but Bale lit the league up for two seasons at a level even Daveed would admit was world class. Plus Bale did it in the champions league, something none of our players in the last thirty or so years, have had the opportunity to do so.

Bale gets my vote.

Ginola
Bale
Galvin

Said it once and will say it again (and again)... Ginola was nice and flash; typically sexy but - more often than not - a flat track bully, producing magic against the likes of the Barnsley's of the football world but disappearing when the big boys came to town and in the key games.

Bale was arguably the most instrumental player in that magical end of season run that got us CL, scored against all the top 4 and won us game after game on his own; not to mention that Ginola would never have produced Bale's worldlie performances against Inter.

Galvin was an honest worker and would run all day but he was limited in his repertoire; Dyson was well before my time but the question to be asked is whether he would have the same impact as Bale in today's vastly more technical game...

It's so obvious to my mind that Bale is a shoe in for this role.

Agreed, Bale for overall. I add the other 2 for sentimental values,and Galvin, because he always ave 100%, and played on my first visit to the Lane, and my first era of actively attending matches.
Ginola for pure entertainment.

Gazza before bale for me as the best player apart from hoddle.
I think Gazza's the only one who could run Bale close, but I think their technique is similar.

What puts Bale ahead is his ability (carefully chosen word over willingness) to perfect the physical side of his game too.

I think the choice is between Dyson, Galvin, Waddle, Ginola and Bale.

A few others from the past that deserve mention:

• Les Medley (164/46) - part of the 1950-51 championship team, along with Ditchburn, Ramsey, Clarke, Nicholson, Burgess, Baily, Bennett and Duquemin, all of whom played over 250 games for Spurs and would be better known if the double team didn't overshadow their achievements.
  • Jimmy Dimmock (438/112) - winner of 1921 FA Cup
  • Jack Kirwan (347/97) - winner of 1901 FA Cup
  • Bert Middlemiss (261/55)

I'll vote for Bale. A powerful wing forward who can cut in on the left to counterbalance the more classic wing play of Cliff Jones. Both can play both roles and interchange, so a nice pairing.

Waddle for me, we need a dribbler, someone not relying on pace. Let's face it teams are going to sit back against this side, so we don't need bales pace and we have hoddle and Gazza for the 30 yard worldies into the top corner.

Waddle for me, we need a dribbler, someone not relying on pace. Let's face it teams are going to sit back against this side, so we don't need bales pace and we have hoddle and Gazza for the 30 yard worldies into the top corner.

Gascoigne was no slouch

Back