• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - left wing forward

Who is the best left midfield, left wing, left inside forward, left wing forward to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My first ever Spurs game
I was 5
Got punched by a liverpoo fan in the toilets at the encouragement of his dad
Whelen scored didn't he?
Hated those clams ever since

Yes Whelen got the equalizer with 3 minutes to go, and he scored again in extra time and Rush got the 3rd.

Agree with all of that except I'm surprised you felt the comments about Blanchflower were not glowing enough. I've inserted a few of the ringing endorsements below.

Although it's fair to say a number of posters regretted his omission from the team only after it was too late, possibly something to do with confusion as to where he would best fit in and being put up against Hoddle and Mackay for the holding role when at least some assumed Hoddle would be included in a later poll for a place further forward.

I'll be surprised if you can find any other all-time Spurs side on the Web or elsewhere that omits Blanchflower altogether. It's sacrilege! :p

They weren't glowing enough to get him in the team! ;) He wasn't voted in, so clearly not enough people were convinced. I voted for Mackay and Blanchflower and would have put Hoddle at #10. There was quite a lot of discussion on Hoddle's position there and I suspect some voted for him deep so they could put Gazza at #10. For a lot of people it's easier to exclude a player they haven't seen in favour of a spectacular one they have.

I was at that game and remember it well:( we were 3 minutes away from winning and it was the first time I had seen us lose at Wembley.

First loss at any time for us at Wembley, wasn't it? We had won all our previous finals there (four FA and two league cups?). It was a record that impressed me so I was particularly sad to witness the end. I'll never forget the silence on the underground afterwards.

Shame we lost your first ever game, especially as it was at Wembley and you were only a 5yo. It's a major regret of mine - and even more of my son - that I didn't take him with me to that game, it would have been his first too. As a 6yo I felt he was too young so at least you got lucky in that respect. In fact unwittingly you've just made me feel even worse :rolleyes: ;).

Funny you should say that about sons my lad was 8 ( for the Coventry final) and had a ST along with me but I decided to take my Dad on his ticket ( my lad was really tinkled off), after we lost that I never took my Dad again :). I took my lad to the Forest final though.

Shame we lost your first ever game, especially as it was at Wembley and you were only a 5yo. It's a major regret of mine - and even more of my son - that I didn't take him with me to that game, it would have been his first too. As a 6yo I felt he was too young so at least you got lucky in that respect. In fact unwittingly you've just made me feel even worse :rolleyes: ;).

I didn't see a thing from what little (and I mean little) I remember. All I know of is the punch and the great shirt from that season

It was tough for me to overlook Widdly, who was a great passer of the ball as well as a great winger, but there has only been one man in recent years at Spurs who could be described as a one man team, and it would be cool to have two Welsh wizards on each wing, wouldn't it?

Waddle for me, we need a dribbler, someone not relying on pace. Let's face it teams are going to sit back against this side, so we don't need bales pace and we have hoddle and Gazza for the 30 yard worldies into the top corner.

Ginola and Bale are also dribbers.

Yes Whelen got the equalizer with 3 minutes to go, and he scored again in extra time and Rush got the 3rd.

Heartbreaking game in what was nearly a heartbreaking season. We were often brilliant. I interviewed Galvin several years ago, and he said today, he'd have been out for a month after that filthy disgusting foul by Souness in the first 15 minutes. We should've won it near the end. Archie missed a sitter, and then Whelan with that bender...

Back