• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - central midfield

Who are the best central midfielders to play for Spurs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hoddle and Mackay should rightfully win this poll, however, i just didn't vote for them as I've never seen them play.

So,I voted for who I have seen live.

Luka Modric waltzes in without so much as having the faintest thought about breaking a sweat while doing so - clearly the best central midfielder I have seen play for the famous THFC by a country f@rking mile and a half. Genuinely world class player who, as @awesomedawson said, would get in just about any team in the world now. He's easily good enough for Barcelona. He's that good and man I miss him - imagine him in a Poch team...

Secondly, Carrick. Immense for us. Shame he left. A criminally under appreciated player in English football by a lot of people who don't support the teams he's play for - he's an intelligent, disciplined, tactically aware player with good technical ability... guess that's nowhere near close to the blond and thunder 'passionate' kickers we criminally favour in England.

Honourable mentions: Dembele and Teemu Tainio. Alli as a future potential...

But for three goals disallowed by dodgy refereeing over the two Benfica SF ties they'd probably have won it (ie its equivalent) with Spurs.

Indeed, we really were robbed of that final place and as Sir Bill said at the time IF we had got through we would have beaten Madrid.

Indeed, we really were robbed of that final place and as Sir Bill said at the time IF we had got through we would have beaten Madrid.
I was at WHL for the return SF against Benfica and recall being as flabberghasted as everyone else at the Greaves goal that was disallowed for offside after having already been awarded. The ref changed his mind after what seemed like the entire Benfica side practically frogmarched him to go and check with the linesman.

Memory may be failing here but I think camera replays were unable to prove conclusively whether it should have stood or not. I can still remember the goal though, Greaves latching onto a long clearance out of defence and somehow beating a couple of defenders before slotting past the keeper. It was one of those Diana moments which are so intense they never leave you.

I was at WHL for the return SF against Benfica and recall being as flabberghasted as everyone else at the Greaves goal that was disallowed for offside after having already been awarded. He changed his mind after what seemed like the entire Benfica side practically frogmarched him to go and check with the linesman.

Memory may be failing here but I think camera replays were unable to prove conclusively whether it should have stood or not. I can still remember the goal though, Greaves latching onto a long clearance out of defence and somehow beating a couple of defenders before slotting past the keeper. It was one of those Diana moments which are so intense they never leave you.

That's the way I saw it as well, I remember reading something from Jimmy who said out of the three goals disallowed two were shown on club film as good goals.

Thought this would be worth posting here (Hoddle talking about playing for Wenger at Monaco):

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...-playing-for-arsene-wenger-at-the-french-club

"Arsene was very positive with the way he set his teams up and got that across to me very quickly in our first meeting and that was what I was impressed with.

"I remember the first pre-season game we had and he just said to me 'you're coming too deep', because I used to come very deep at Tottenham on the right-hand side of the diamond formation.

"He played me behind the striker Mark Hateley and he said, 'I've got two players in midfield', which was an absolutely similar system to when he first went to Arsenal. He had two holding players that could really use the ball well. That was Emmanuel Petit and Patrick Vieira at Arsenal. We had Marcel Dib and Jean-Philippe Rohr at Monaco. He said 'that's their job to defend. You defend from the front, organise, mark the wingers, but we need to get the ball to you'.

"That was something that was different for me straight away but I could understand it and it suited me as a player and the team. We settled into the team pretty quickly and won the title.

"We were very dominant. We played some wonderful football; he loves to play creative football. He knew what he wanted from the team. It was pretty clear-minded; you had clarity when you went onto the pitch of the shape that he wanted and how he wanted us to play."

I think this can be used to support Hoddle deep or more forward. For us he did come deeper, but as the man himself says it was on the usually on right of a diamond. He was then happy to play further forward. The way he says mark the wingers suggest he played wide rather than central. So in the 4-2-3-1 I'm going to pick him further forward and vote for Blanchflower and Mackay.

P.S. It looks like Hoddle and Mackay will win this vote. I just wonder how it would have gone if Gazza had been included as some wanted. I agree that Gazza should be played further forward, but I think he might have pushed out Mackay if the question was asked.

I think this can be used to support Hoddle deep or more forward. For us he did come deeper, but as the man himself says it was on the usually on right of a diamond. He was then happy to play further forward. The way he says mark the wingers suggest he played wide rather than central. So in the 4-2-3-1 I'm going to pick him further forward and vote for Blanchflower and Mackay.

P.S. It looks like Hoddle and Mackay will win this vote. I just wonder how it would have gone if Gazza had been included as some wanted. I agree that Gazza should be played further forward, but I think he might have pushed out Mackay if the question was asked.

From what i have heard from supporters who have watched both in their prime Gazza wasn't in the same league as Hoddle so i would expect that to have been reflected in this poll had he been included - although i guess there will be plenty on here of the age where they would have seen Gazza in his prime but not Hoddle so maybe that may have run it closer

As was said regarding Wenger, Hoddle was used to his best ability creativity wise as well as goal scoring wise. Separate subject and not sure if mentioned previously but why didn't Hoddle recommend Wenger to the Spurs board at the time? He seemed to hold him in such high regard, was it that he wanted the Apurs

As was said regarding Wenger, Hoddle was used to his best ability creativity wise as well as goal scoring wise. Separate subject and not sure if mentioned previously but why didn't Hoddle recommend Wenger to the Spurs board at the time? He seemed to hold him in such high regard, was it that he wanted the Apurs

allegedly he did, but Sugar wasn't interested

Has to be Mackay and Blanchflower, with Hoddle playing further forward with Gazza and A.N.Other, behind Greaves.

Because we did the midfield first, we are going to end up with Hoddle there. If we had done the 'three' first, Hoddle would have ended up there. So we need to combine these 5 positions IMO or it will skew the vote.

Has to be Mackay and Blanchflower, with Hoddle playing further forward with Gazza and A.N.Other, behind Greaves.

Because we did the midfield first, we are going to end up with Hoddle there. If we had done the 'three' first, Hoddle would have ended up there. So we need to combine these 5 positions IMO or it will skew the vote.

You are just like Sven!

Pick the system. Then the players. Not the other way around.

There's proper AMs like Gilzean and Cliff Jones to consider for those positions. Picking 4 CMs is like trying to leaver in 2 GKs.

Ardilles Mackay Blanchflower
--------Gascogne Hoddle
-----------/-Greaves

Could that work? Many AMs/Wingers left out who deserve to be in ahead of the above players?

Not suggesting we change formation again just thinking out aloud

You are just like Sven!

Pick the system. Then the players. Not the other way around.

There's proper AMs like Gilzean and Cliff Jones to consider for those positions. Picking 4 CMs is like trying to leaver in 2 GKs.

this turned into getting a system to fit the players as soon as we picked a midfielder at RB

Lighten up guys :) This was only meant to be a bit of fun and a chance to talk about some old players.

Back