• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - central midfield

Who are the best central midfielders to play for Spurs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To be honest Glenn had had his better days by the time he went and played in a much weaker, slower Lge then here. He is the best English player I have seen and I have no doubt he could play in any of the positions we are debating about.

Yes, to be fair in the article I posted he does say that he played deeper for Spurs, and that just makes the argument for including him in the 'two' even stronger. I just really want to get the double-winning duo in there I suppose.

In our current system, the player next to Dier (Dembele and Alli have both filled the role effectively this season) has licence to roam forward. Hoddle in his prime would make us instant title contenders if we currently had him alongside Dier - I honestly believe that.

Yes, yes, yes.

Well you have a vote just like everyone else, I think what some may be forgetting ( not saying you are) is that these players are/were some of the best around and tying them down to a system is not really necessary. But Stop! Hammer time.
Fair enough, just concerned we don't end up with an unbalanced side.

I must admit, I am coming round to the idea of voting for Hoddle in the 'two' but I am not sure I could leave Blanchflower and MacKay out of the side, given their legendary status as part of our most successful and celebrated team.

Also, @milo I am really enjoying these threads, particularly the views of older posters who saw players that I didn't. Great idea for discussion mate.

Yes, to be fair in the article I posted he does say that he played deeper for Spurs, and that just makes the argument for including him in the 'two' even stronger. I just really want to get the double-winning duo in there I suppose.

I understand that and agree however as I said earlier we can not get all these great players in, out of Blanchflower, White, Mackay, Hoddle, Ossie, Ricky, Modric someone is going to have to be left out, on top of that we have to consider the likes of Jones, Waddle, Bale for the flank players:eek:

I understand that and agree however as I said earlier we can not get all these great players in, out of Blanchflower, White, Mackay, Hoddle, Ossie, Ricky, Modric someone is going to have to be left out, on top of that we have to consider the likes of Jones, Waddle, Bale for the flank players:eek:

Getting ahead of myself here but the Ginola, Jones, Bale choice is going to be a bugger

Sounds like he was a deeper midfielder for us going by those quotes and as it's our best XI I think he should be judged on where he played for us, not how he played for another team

My opinion
Wouldn't disagree with that. One role he never had in any shape or form though, whether for Spurs, Monaco, or England, was defensive!

It sounds like we are agreeing on:

Hoddle
Mackay
Ardiles
Blanchflower
Burgess
Modric
Carrick
Howells

That sounds a bit like my dad! :) (my dad went home and away from mid 70's, when he would have been 15, to the late 80's. Ghod is his favourite ever Spurs player by a million miles).
Your dad's probably 6 or 7 years older than me. My first Spurs memories are from the 1978/79 season (though my own dad assures me I was a fan even before that). It was a great time to follow Spurs and a huge part of that was having the most skilful player on the planet (that's how I remember it, like it or lump it) in the side. Thanks to my dad and Uncle, I'd have been a Spurs fan no matter what... but it was Glenn Hoddle that gave me the passion for the game that I still feel today.

Imagine him spraying the ball around from there and with licence to get forward

I may have this wrong but when he was at Swindon he played CB/sweeper and I think he did that at Chelski as well for a while. As I have said many times he was world class and if he had played for any other country but England he would have been the number one.

I may have this wrong but when he was at Swindon he played CB/sweeper and I think he did that at Chelski as well for a while. As I have said many times he was world class and if he had played for any other country but England he would have been the number one.

Yeah. That is my recollection too.

Back