• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Annual Tottenham Hotspur Striker Search: January 2015 Edition

Kevin Phillips and Andy Johnson were both OK strikers with a good work rate, decent pace, good finishing, just a too small and not skillful enough to become seriously good like Aguero, but then who is? They scored roughly 1 in 2 when given a proper run of games, and for some terrible sides as well. They worked very hard and could finish when they got a chance. I think the comparison you are looking for is Trevor Benjamin, "the new Emile Heskey" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Benjamin

For me we should NOT spend £20m+ unless they are aged 25 or less to ensure we will get a substantial whack of it back after a few years.

We shouldn't buy someone aged 27+ as their value will plummet after 2 years.

So it almost doesn't matter what we pay for Benteke as he is young and we'll get most of it back after a few years, the key thing is salary, right Scara?
Didn't both Phillips and Johnson have one really good season amongst a load of dross? If not, my memory must be failing me again.

We can certainly afford Benteke, the problem is regaining that fee if we pay more than double his value.

Didn't both Phillips and Johnson have one really good season amongst a load of dross? If not, my memory must be failing me again.

We can certainly afford Benteke, the problem is regaining that fee if we pay more than double his value.

10 goals in 126 games isn't fantastic, but it's hardly **** either. Does one 6 out 10 season when he wasn't 100% fit really negate 1 outstanding season? If he doesn't deliver this season then I might be inclined to agree but he's had 1 excellent season and 1 not so good season but people are talking like he's had 10 years over here and he's been crap for 9 of them.

10 goals in 126 games isn't fantastic, but it's hardly **** either. Does one 6 out 10 season when he wasn't 100% fit really negate 1 outstanding season? If he doesn't deliver this season then I might be inclined to agree but he's had 1 excellent season and 1 not so good season but people are talking like he's had 10 years over here and he's been crap for 9 of them.

Eh? That seems crap to me...

That's missing the point.

People are assuming he's valuable because of one season of playing well. Most players in their career will have one outlier that's a pretty good season, until they can do it regularly they're no better (and therefore no more valuable) than the others.

After a stand out season pretty much everyone will regress at least a little. The few that don't are the likes of Bale/Modric who keep getting better. The question as a buyer is how much will that player regress. If it's as much as Kevin Phillips, then no thanks. It may not be that much, but we can't pay top player money for a player that may never have another season that good.

I don't want a 1 season wonder like Benteke, I want someone who's managed to bang in 20 league goals per season for at least the last 5 years, in one of the world's top divisions. Ronaldo or Messi or just f**k off Levy and sell up, you bald freak.

Benteke for me if we want a physical striker
Berahino if we want a hard working poacher type (he Jermain Defoe reincarnated)
I'd take Bony in a heartbeat too and from what I've seen of him I'd take Destro

All are get table if we wanted to spend the money necessary and would not damage the wage structure whilst improving tye side

I think whoever is within our range will be a gamble of some sort. I'd take Benteke for £20m or thereabouts. If you think we can get a 23yr old player with his raw physical attributes, who has scored 29 goals in 60 Premier League games for £10m or so, you are dreaming! The fees now are mental.

I don't want a 1 season wonder like Benteke, I want someone who's managed to bang in 20 league goals per season for at least the last 5 years, in one of the world's top divisions. Ronaldo or Messi or just f**k off Levy and sell up, you bald freak.

:ross:

Ricketts and Marcus Stewart as well

Get in Bony the battering ram. Wish we bought him originally, seemed like as pretty much a safe bet as you can get to fit in the premier league.
Pace, power and technique.

nah, messi has only done it in La Liga, he will just flop here like Soldado. No thanks!

Back