• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Annual Tottenham Hotspur Striker Search: January 2015 Edition

Can't help but chuckle at the optimism in this thread. Signing someone like Benteke in January, classic.

We'll see a Holtby situation: some poor schmuck with six months on his contract whose club will be desperate to get something for him and thus will probably let him go for cheap. It won't be a big name on an expiring contract, either: those players will be wanted by the big clubs, and thus will be out of reach of our lurking, scrabbling fingers (I include Rodriguez in the category of 'big name': being English, home-grown, young and cheaper than he otherwise would be due to his contract situation, I'd wager at least one of the bigger boys like City or Arsenal will definitely swoop for him come January). It'll be a cheap, under-the-radar buy who'll fill in for a bit, do a just-about-passable job and then find himself farmed out on loan or disposed of come the summer.

Expecting anything else is setting yourself up for disappointment. The best we can expect is that Ade leaves on a free in the summer and that the subsequent sale of either Lloris or Verts will give us enough money to find a replacement up front + fill the gap left by said star player gratefully leaving.

Some candidates:

Giampaolo Pazzini
Dame N'Doye
Goran Pandev
Fred
Artem Dzyuba
Nikola Kalinic
Mustafa Pektemek
Khouma Babacar
Andre-Pierre Gignac

Bear in mind that a significant number of those players will likely still have more value to their clubs than what we'd offer for the remaining six months on their deals, so even that list might be a bit too far-reaching. Still, some fine candidates there for the 'hapless January buy' role. And most of them seemingly even better than Saha.

Fred? Please no.

It's more optimisitc thinking we can get Benteke for £10m when you can barely get a decent left back for that money.

Fred? Please no.

It's more optimisitc thinking we can get Benteke for £10m when you can barely get a decent left back for that money.

Not sure if anyone thinks we can get him for that. For that kind of money we'd get so much more elsewhere though.

Look at the summer arrivals from abroad:

Enner Valencia 13m
Diafra Sakho 4.5m
Brown Ideye 9m
Pelle 9m
Origi 11m

And some moving within England:

Ulloa 9m
Remy 12m
Long 13m

Not sure if anyone thinks we can get him for that. For that kind of money we'd get so much more elsewhere though.

Look at the summer arrivals from abroad:

Enner Valencia 13m
Diafra Sakho 4.5m
Brown Ideye 9m
Pelle 9m
Origi 11m

And some moving within England:

Ulloa 9m
Remy 12m
Long 13m

Enner Valencia - Big gamble for someone who's not played in Europe but promising.
Sakho- Not seen enough of him.
Origi - Not seen enough of him apart from the World Cup.
Pelle - Looks good so far but he's 29 and only really had two prolific seasons.
Ulloa - Too early to tell
Long - Doesn't get enough goals, 1 in 4 is his ratio throughout his career.
Remy - We missed the boat on him years ago when Redknapp wanted him.

Not really sure why you're so down on Benteke, I remember even when he was prolific for a struggling Villa side you were keen to never praise him, he pracitcally kept them up. He's not the finished article but to suggest he's only worth £10m-£12m is harsh. You're basically saying that 5 players who have are not proven in this country are better options? And another with a poor record in front of goal is a better choice.

Benteke is just a big lumbering oaf without a brain. Anything above 10 million will be so much better spent elsewhere. Swansea got Gomis on a free and West Ham got Zarate. Were a couple of other potential bargains as well.

a real lack of striking talent out there it seems

There seems to be a lot of AMs/#10s coming through. I wonder if it is just an anomaly or if it's down to so many teams playing with just one striker, limiting the number of strikers that get playing time.

Benteke is just a big lumbering oaf without a brain. Anything above 10 million will be so much better spent elsewhere. Swansea got Gomis on a free and West Ham got Zarate. Were a couple of other potential bargains as well.

im sorry but thats a joke of a comment. He has shown enough good team play and smartly taken finishes to suggest that he is more than that.

Do you really believe a player without a brain could score 1 in 2 for one of the worst teams in the league?

im sorry but thats a joke of a comment. He has shown enough good team play and smartly taken finishes to suggest that he is more than that.

I know it's ridiculous. It's not like he just scores one type of goal either, he gets headers, tap ins, long range efforts, smart finishes from one on ones.

Do you really believe a player without a brain could score 1 in 2 for one of the worst teams in the league?

Yes, when all they do is punt the ball towards him hoping he can do something. The whole team is set up to provide for him. He scored with every fifth shot on goal, but how many attacks broke down before he got that far? He's not a top player, just like quite a few others that have been bigged up on here over the years, only to disappear once they stop overachieving. Some are just better being a big fish in a small pond.

Oh come on Dubai - this relentless pessimisim from you is so disheartening to read :(

I realize that, believe me. It's why I'm trying my hardest to bite my tongue and resist the urge to respond to a lot of posts around here that seem to me positively unhinged in terms of expectations for bold action and ambition from our admirable board and higher-ups, some that **** off City and Chelsea as having 'no class' while completely ignoring our delightful position, and a few that seem absolutely disgusting to me due to the demands they make on Poch without an equivalent recognition of the big fat zero he's received in terms of support so far. Conversely, I'm trying my hardest to focus on the positives of this season, which are entirely based around the playing style we're seeing, the progress being made in terms of on-pitch tactics, coordination and teamwork, and yes, the good results when they come, like the one against Arsenal.

Sometimes, however, discussions about on-pitch events inevitably spiral into discussions about transfer policies, club finances and higher management, and that's when the urge to intervene again overtakes me at times. Similarly, this thread: I just felt the need to try to make some of my fellow fans cognizant of what's coming this January, and if by doing so, I can help one person avoid disappointment, that seemed to me to be worth it.

I recognize that there's enough negativity around this board and club as it is without me needing to add to it. I'm trying to hold my tongue and just enjoy the little bits of positivity as they come, but you'll have to bear with me as I adapt to it. Eventually I hope to be able to ignore most of what I find distasteful and self-defeating about our board and the policies they run the club on. Of course, if we end up sacking Poch after doing the same to him that we did to AVB, and Redknapp...I make no promises. But for now, I am trying to be less negative about things.

We'll still end up bringing in 2015's edition of Saha on a free, but that's neither here nor there. :p

Some of the big lumbering oaf's best goals and assists

[video=youtube;-7RB8ox0ars]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7RB8ox0ars[/video]

[video=youtube;-fg-b4QMic8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fg-b4QMic8[/video]

I don't think he's quite as bad as Jordinho does, but to answer your question; In a single season, yes.

That's why he's not worth the money Villa want - there's countless **** players who've had one really good season. If he can do it for a few seasons then he's worth the money Villa want, until then he's just an unproven striker who may have had a massive outlier of a season.

Anyone remember Kevin Phillips? What about Andy Johnson?

Kevin Phillips and Andy Johnson were both OK strikers with a good work rate, decent pace, good finishing, just a too small and not skillful enough to become seriously good like Aguero, but then who is? They scored roughly 1 in 2 when given a proper run of games, and for some terrible sides as well. They worked very hard and could finish when they got a chance. I think the comparison you are looking for is Trevor Benjamin, "the new Emile Heskey" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Benjamin

For me we should NOT spend £20m+ unless they are aged 25 or less to ensure we will get a substantial whack of it back after a few years.

We shouldn't buy someone aged 27+ as their value will plummet after 2 years.

So it almost doesn't matter what we pay for Benteke as he is young and we'll get most of it back after a few years, the key thing is salary, right Scara?

But who's going to pay us back? It would require him to be a massive success. Everton spending what they did on Lukaku this summer was ridiculous. They'll be lucky to get half of it back if they wanted to sell and they could really have done so much more with that money.

But who's going to pay us back? It would require him to be a massive success. Everton spending what they did on Lukaku this summer was ridiculous. They'll be lucky to get half of it back if they wanted to sell and they could really have done so much more with that money.

Who says we want people to pay us back? Isn't the idea to keep your most valuable players?

Who's going to pay us back for Adebayor?

Who says we want people to pay us back? Isn't the idea to keep your most valuable players?

Who's going to pay us back for Adebayor?

If we could get Benteke in for 5 million I'd be happy to risk that loss.

My point is that we won't get him anywhere near an amount that makes the risk worthwhile.

Back