• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

2008-2009 : Yawn year, nothing out of the ordinary for me.

That season it was Amir Zaki for Wigan.... 10 goals in the few months of the season. An even sharper fall from grace than the others as Wigan didn't even make it a permanent signing.

My points are flavours of the month for one season are not the players we should be buying. Look above, look at those names (cringe). At the time yes, they did it for a season, they all sounded good and would have cost us a fortune, but now looking back, oh my lord. We need to buy consistantly good strikers not one that have their rich vein of form then die off into obsscurity never to achieve those false heights again.

The didn't do it again... ever thing is a slightly over dramatic :)

Pahars had one more good season, Beattie's tally was in double figures for 5 out of 6 seasons around that time, Johnson's penalty routine with Routledge was a one off but he'd scored 27 goals in the championship when they got promoted and was in double figues after his first season with Everton, Harewood had a great record in the championship before his one good premiership season.

I think the key is that the classic 'flavour of the month' player will appear in an unfashionable team. They're inconsistent, they lose their good players to bigger teams, they get relegated. In a poor team regularly in the bottom part of the table, it is always going to be tough for a striker.

Most of those players also fall into one of two scenarios...

- The new player apparently signed from nowhere (more likely had a good record in another country but hadn't been over hyped by the press yet)

- and the player who has a decent record over a period of time for a team that gets promoted and exposed to Premier League for the first time.

Baa and Cisse are playing in a decent team at the top end of the table and with Ben Arfa are forming a strong attacking partnership, so there's no reason why they can't continue to do well as long as egos don't get too inflated by the attention.

LOL...what was his name though...

BARRY HAYLES!!!

he wasnt that great but he kept on performing

Spurs supporter if I'm not mistaken?

I agree with you on this Affy - as much as there are hit and miss players (pun intented) there are just as many hit and hit players. The reason some of the 'Marcus Stewarts' get hyped I guess is because fans want a bargain basement gem.

As for Forsell - don't think he was hyped at all. Only scored 1 for his first club and signed by Chelsea as a 17 year due to his finishing (pun intended again) for the Finland youth teams.

Following on from last seasons striker thread, who would you want us to sign?

I mean i think it's accepted by most that we need 2 strikers right? what type of striker do we need? be realistic peeps...

Going to keep banging the drum for van wolfswinkel.

6ft, done it in holland, doing it abroad, still gettable price wise, still young.

Don't know quite what it is about him, but I think this guy will be great - he seems to have all the attributes and stats to back them up.

Ba and Adebayor

I'd worry about Ba.

Not just because of his supposed UXB of a knee, but the fact that as soon as Newcash brought in another striker, he went completely off the boil.

Needs to be top dog?.........that's no good to us.

By the way, I haven't a clue who we should get.

I'd worry about Ba.

Not just because of his supposed UXB of a knee, but the fact that as soon as Newcash brought in another striker, he went completely off the boil.

Or it may have been him playing more out wide when Cisse played?

I'd worry about Ba.

He got shafted to the left side of a 3 to accommodate Cisse. Most central strikers would struggle tbh.

My extensive and exhaustive research (of YouTube videos) suggests Seydou Doumbia may be the man.

Loïc Rémy is stil a favourite for me.
Has a bit of everything - excellent finisher in the air, can threaten space behind defence, although not a hold up striker he's decent with back towards goal.
Good age, reasonable young but approaching peak. Strong, explosive and skillful
Hard working, team player, versatile enough to cover other positions if needed (wide, support).

[video=youtube;eyRAXY--TAE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyRAXY--TAE[/video]

Going to keep banging the drum for van wolfswinkel.

6ft, done it in holland, doing it abroad, still gettable price wise, still young.

Don't know quite what it is about him, but I think this guy will be great - he seems to have all the attributes and stats to back them up.

Holland and portugal.

I can appreciate that you have a gut feeling. i am very skeptical myself

but two differen leagues must mean that he at least has some kind of decent level......he could be a squaddie

My extensive and exhaustive research (of YouTube videos) suggests Seydou Doumbia may be the man.

tumblr_m5253xcw9q1rn325to1_500.png

Already signed him last month. :-"

Back