• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

Nope wasnt championing Townsend was just making a point about Poch's treatment of certain players. So you can remove the puzzled look

I don't see how anyone can say that he picks the team on anything but merit. Players that come in and perform well, tend to keep their place and from the beginning he has given everyone a chance. Townsend was consistently in the squad until his spat with the coaching staff but we saw last season that Poch takes a dim view of ill discipline and players who fall foul of this find it difficult to get back in the team.

I find this refreshing compared to the days when certain players got picked regardless of their performance.

I don't see how anyone can say that he picks the team on anything but merit. Players that come in and perform well, tend to keep their place and from the beginning he has given everyone a chance. Townsend was consistently in the squad until his spat with the coaching staff but we saw last season that Poch takes a dim view of ill discipline and players who fall foul of this find it difficult to get back in the team.

I find this refreshing compared to the days when certain players got picked regardless of their performance.

I don't think he picks the team purely on merit. Potential ability plays a bit role. He also seems to like giving players a handful of games to prove themselves if they're given a chance at all. Not strictly merit based.

Townsend got enough starts to prove himself. fudge me I remember someone arguing that he was getting so much game time it indicated that he was now first choice last season and Lamela was likely to be sold in the summer...

The supporters of other teams here at work think he is rubbish and has been a massive waste of money. I think he has improved this season and is worth his place in the team. I don't think he has shown himself to be a 26/30 million pound (whichever of the two it was that he cost) signing, but the transfer fee wasn't the player's fault and at the moment

I think Lamela is in our team on merit having stepped up his performances since the start of the season. His work rate has never been in question, but I used to get frustrated at how much possession he surrendered and how easily he surrendered it. However he seems to have got a lot stronger on the ball over the past 3 months or so and as a result he loses it far less often and makes things happen even more often. Lamela has always had good vision and been a player who creates chances (I would wager that Lamela has probably created more chances than any other player in our team this season). What other team's most creative player is also one of their hardest working?
Compare him with Lallana, who cost about the same, and plays in a similar position. I think Lamela is head and shoulders above Lallana. Lamelas finishing has also improved, and he's got 8 goals and 3 assists in 25 games i think it was. Don't think that's too bad, but of course there is room for improvement.

Don't forget Townsend is 24, Lamela is 23, yet people seem to talk of Townsend as a youngster needing a chance...

SS News

ATLETI REJECT MARTINEZ BID

Atletico Madrid have turned down an offer from Spurs for strikerJackson Martinez, says Marca.

The Colombia international, 29, has a contract at the Vicente Calderon until the summer of 2019 after only moving to the Spanish capital last summer.

I don't really trust anything Marca write but that's a bit out of left field.

Compare him with Lallana, who cost about the same, and plays in a similar position. I think Lamela is head and shoulders above Lallana. Lamelas finishing has also improved, and he's got 8 goals and 3 assists in 25 games i think it was. Don't think that's too bad, but of course there is room for improvement.
But Llalana in his best season under Poch was better than what we have seen from erik so far IMO and that why the fee was paid (same as Eriks season at Roma was better performance wise than now)

“Games like today show me we are in the right way,” Pochettino said when asked if he would be strengthening his attack before the end of the month. “We have one of the best strikers in the world (Kane) and if we add another offensive player we have to have the right profile because if you buy the wrong player then you break the balance of the dressing room.

“I can understand that when you don't score, people can be worried, but we have enough quality. Today was a good opportunity for Nacer and Son to show that they can score so we are very pleased. We can improve, yes, and if we find the right player, then OK, but if not, I am very happy with the squad that we have. We have a strong squad, and that is my real thought.”

“Games like today show me we are in the right way,” Pochettino said when asked if he would be strengthening his attack before the end of the month. “We have one of the best strikers in the world (Kane) and if we add another offensive player we have to have the right profile because if you buy the wrong player then you break the balance of the dressing room.

“I can understand that when you don't score, people can be worried, but we have enough quality. Today was a good opportunity for Nacer and Son to show that they can score so we are very pleased. We can improve, yes, and if we find the right player, then OK, but if not, I am very happy with the squad that we have. We have a strong squad, and that is my real thought.”

Not the first time he's hinted rather strongly there's to be no further move for Berahino.

The Metro are quoting something from the Standard that comes from an Italian site. We're apparently monitoring Alvaro Morata :rolleyes: and prepared to put in a £45.8 million bid :eek:. I have no idea where the Metro got that number from as it isn't mentioned on the places they stole the story from.

Nope wasnt championing Townsend was just making a point about Poch's treatment of certain players. So you can remove the puzzled look

That point only stands if Pochettino has been unfair to Townsend and not given him a chance/game time. Pochettino was more than fair with Townsend last season and he's done nothing to warrant game time ahead of Eriksen, Alli, Lamela, Son or Chadli this season.

That point only stands if Pochettino has been unfair to Townsend and not given him a chance/game time. Pochettino was more than fair with Townsend last season and he's done nothing to warrant game time ahead of Eriksen, Alli, Lamela, Son or Chadli this season.

Agree, Townsend has played nearly 100 games for us and had his chances and not taken them.

Back